• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Question for sensors?

Zhash

What abstract problem? That Shimpei is a sensor? That's already been established, and I'm asking-- so what. I'm aware that Zhash didn't really care to try and communicate with Shimpei beyond labeling her as a sensor-- I was making my own rhetorical point there that apparently flew right by you.

You didn't get it, Ivy. Sorry. That's the difference.

Zhash

Your point was seemingly...nevermind that theoretical mumbo-jumbo... lets focus on the more humane goals... on the more practical... namely using typology to make communication differences diminish...instead of pointing out that Shimpei does not understand because she is a sensor... why dont you take into account how sensors communicate and present it in a way she will be more likely to understand.

Absolutely. Sensors are also the least likely to be introspective. They would rather just fire off based on their tunnel vision.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Re function order:

I don't know anything about these random people's function order theories, but logically, would it not be different depending on the relative strengths of the four functions? (Beyond the Ti-Ne-Si-Fe basic order, that is)

For example, an INTP who has a weaker T (ie leaning towards INFP) would have Fi higher in the function order than one with a very strong T. An INTP with a weak P would have Te (and probably Ni) higher in the order than an INTP with a strong P. And so on. So I don't think there can really be one function order for all INTPs.

Does this not make sense?

INTPs with a weak P are the ones with an under-developed Ne.

I see no reason to believe that functions grow in a different fashion for different people of the same temperament. It makes more sense to say that some have gotten further along the path than others.

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
I see no reason to believe that functions grow in a different fashion for different people of the same temperament. It makes more sense to say that some have gotten further along the path than others.
Because the idea that there are really only sixteen variations on people in the world is a little silly. People either have to grow differently, or there have to be traits MBTI doesn't describe, or both.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Because the idea that there are really only sixteen variations on people in the world is a little silly. People either have to grow differently, or there have to be traits MBTI doesn't describe, or both.

How about type stays the same. There are only 16 types..yet a myriad of personalities.. a wide variety of fashions that those 16 types manifest themselves in... this is why its possible to have people of the same type have very different personalities to the point where its hard to believe they are of the same temperament..

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Absolutely. Sensors are also the least likely to be introspective. They would rather just fire off based on their tunnel vision.

That's preposterous. How about your being highly opinionated?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The big problem is that the type descriptions are written by intuitives. So they are hugely negative towards sensors. Some of the sensor type descriptions are downright insulting,and poor reflections of the rich multi faceted nature of many sensors that I meet and have the pleasure of working with and spending my free time with.

They don't suffer with tunnel vision, they don't have an inability to use their imagination. They just have a slightly different function order.

Stupid people of all types are dull and unimaginative. Clever people of all types are interesting and imaginative.

Part of the problem here is that intuitives will look at someone they don't like and attach a "sensor" badge to it, and this continues to colour their conception of other sensors. Despite the fact that many they don't like could be intuitives. It's self perpetuating. Don't like someone you know who hasn't been tested? Why, they MUST be my type opposite.

-Geoff

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
That's preposterous. How about your being highly opinionated?

That'd be INTJ-ness in action :D There is a degree of irony in having an INTJ call other tunnel visioned...

Geoff, :nice: That pretty much covers it.

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
The big problem is that the type descriptions are written by intuitives. So they are hugely negative towards sensors. Some of the sensor type descriptions are downright insulting,and poor reflections of the rich multi faceted nature of many sensors that I meet and have the pleasure of working with and spending my free time with.

They don't suffer with tunnel vision, they don't have an inability to use their imagination. They just have a slightly different function order.

Stupid people of all types are dull and unimaginative. Clever people of all types are interesting and imaginative.

Part of the problem here is that intuitives will look at someone they don't like and attach a "sensor" badge to it, and this continues to colour their conception of other sensors. Despite the fact that many they don't like could be intuitives. It's self perpetuating. Don't like someone you know who hasn't been tested? Why, they MUST be my type opposite.

-Geoff

Amen. I totally agree. And also, is there a person who is creative and imaginative? Well, they must be N. Wrong!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

-Geoff

Agreed also. I wouldn't attribute the problems I have with others to most people being sensors. People need to improve their communication skills and stop passing the buck.

What I find to be the problem is that a lot of intuitive snobs expect people to entertain them, prove their worth and intelligence and then maybe they'll lower themselves to talk. Who wants to be bothered with people like that?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Not really.. we still use Sensing and Feeling as NTs... we always use all functions.. its just that they would be weaker (for an INTP) than the backside of the T and the N...(Just because Ni and Te are ahead of all sensing and feeling functions it does not mean that those functions are not there at all)
C'mon Blue. That's not what you originally said. Let's go back to the beginning. I said
.....depending of whose succession of functions you prescribe to, ISJs have a better use of Ni than NTPs.
Your response was
It's not true that ISJs have a better use of Ni than NTPs
Surely you did not think that anyone remotely knowledgeable of MBTI principles would buy into your theory? You don't say that the functions are at a lower level, your order (Ti-Ne-Te-Ni-Si-Se-Fe-Fi) places the complete sensing and feeling dichotomies at a lower level. There has to be a balance in any human to exist. Ergo, at least one function from each dichotomy must be utilized, before both functions from one dichotomy can be used. I am not saying what you imply can't happen. It's just that anyone hardwired that way would need a hug-me-jacket.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
However MBTI doesn't express strengths in gradients, you are either one or the other and your function order is set absolutely from that. So in terms of ordering, you either believe in MBTI (ie: It's not even Jung that defined it this way!) or you don't believe in funtional ordering... the step from there would be to work with Jungs big three and those theories.
It has to be that way, otherwise what would be the use of a four letter codes? Any type could use any of the eight functions as dominant, auxilary and so on....

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
It has to be that way, otherwise what would be the use of a four letter codes? Any type could use any of the eight functions as dominant, auxilary and so on....

Well, what's the difference between saying I am;

INTP - Ti - Ne - Si - Fe

and me saying I am

I (100%), N (90%), T (90%), P(100%)?

In the first case, functions define who I am, and are inflexible... they don't transfer the gradients from the 2nd into the functional breakdown, meaning that someone who is barely T but extremely N will still be said to have a dominant Ti, when in reality they barely use Ti.

In truth, TiNe should be considered one set of functions, which removes some of the argument against gradients... but the 4 letters can be useful as they are, without the functional breakdown. Most theories use no functional breakdown in the first place... For example, I measure O+ C- E- A= N= in the FFM model. It would mean the same as saying INTP (I+ N+ T+ P+, where you would measure (I+ N- T+ P+)!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I don't know anything about these random people's function order theories, but logically, would it not be different depending on the relative strengths of the four functions? (Beyond the Ti-Ne-Si-Fe basic order, that is)
No, because that is actually how the system works. There are degrees of preferring any dichotomy. The system is limited, in that mostly likely one can actually result in XXXX, if you answer the assessment 50/50. It's impossible to provide forced choices, because human beings are more complexed than either or questions.
For example, an INTP who has a weaker T (ie leaning towards INFP) would have Fi higher in the function order than one with a very strong T. An INTP with a weak P would have Te (and probably Ni) higher in the order than an INTP with a strong P. And so on. So I don't think there can really be one function order for all INTPs. Does this not make sense?
I understand your inquiry, however as Pgats points out, the principles are in place, and INTPs use Ti-Ne-Si-Fe. However, they do use all eight functions,and depending on how you believe those functons go in order per type, the other four can either follow the aforementioned, or be placed intermittenly between them.

As for your example, you compare a function (Fi) with a dichotomy (T), which is apple orange. To answer your queston, weakening of preference for one dichotomy simply means you will slide over to the alternate dichotomy. Thus, the less you prefer T, more you prefer F. Nevertheless, functions are not part of the assessment equation. It is why Socionics can continue to make their case as to the order of functions for introverts.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
C'mon Blue. That's not what you originally said. Let's go back to the beginning. I saidYour response wasSurely you did not think that anyone remotely knowledgeable of MBTI principles would buy into your theory? You don't say that the functions are at a lower level, your order (Ti-Ne-Te-Ni-Si-Se-Fe-Fi) places the complete sensing and feeling dichotomies at a lower level. There has to be a balance in any human to exist. Ergo, at least one function from each dichotomy must be utilized, before both functions from one dichotomy can be used. I am not saying what you imply can't happen. It's just that anyone hardwired that way would need a hug-me-jacket.

ISTJs tend to have Ni as the 7th most developed function... they still use it.. yet not as proficiently as INTPs who have it as their 4th..

Once again... to clarify... functions 6-8 are used when necessary...probably used well enough for you to get around... but you will not operate them as well those that are higher in rank... when you develop them... you're not just merely getting acquainted with them... your unconscious mind strives to master them at that point..

We always use all of our functions... just some better than others..

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Well, what's the difference between saying I am;

INTP - Ti - Ne - Si - Fe

and me saying I am

I (100%), N (90%), T (90%), P(100%)?
But what you can't say is that you prefer I-N-T-P and and use Fe-Si-Ne-Ti in the order of your functions.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
ISTJs tend to have Ni as the 7th most developed function... they still use it.. yet not as proficiently as INTPs who have it as their 4th....
Okay, we base this on Beebe's theory. As I initially quoted, depending on which theory you prescribe to. In this case, SPs still have Ni higher than NPs.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
In truth, TiNe should be considered one set of functions, which removes some of the argument against gradients... but the 4 letters can be useful as they are, without the functional breakdown. Most theories use no functional breakdown in the first place... For example, I measure O+ C- E- A= N= in the FFM model. It would mean the same as saying INTP (I+ N+ T+ P+, where you would measure (I+ N- T+ P+)!
You're attempting to muddle the discussion in applying a system outside of MBTI. And no Ti-Ne could never be one function, since one can be Ti-Se or Fi-Ne, which describes totally different personalities. Othewise, you are now referring to Keirsey's temperament.