• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Question for sensors?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ESTP with planning skills... Arilee.

Ok perhaps they do oft go astray but that's more a lack of understanding the big picture than anything else.

So yes she's still quite in the now but she's more aware of the future than the stereotype suggests.

An S with imagination = Sdalek.

Try him. You'll be surprised....and so will he if you lynch him for an example :devil:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know when you use your Si a lot... your Ti begins to show... they are connected on introversion... same goes for Fe-Ne..

You can see an ISFJ get more creative when engaging in extroverted activity because their intuition is extroverted...

For example, my ISFJ wife shows her creativity most when she is working on a tangible project.

- She decorated the church for the Valentine's dinner and for the Christmas season and had a limited budget for decorations for each. I felt she was very creative in what she was able to procure for the cheapest amount of money possible (thus coming in under budget) but working with it to ensure that the decorations still prettied up the place. For Christmas, for example, she bought some large bare wreathes, then bought bows and white strings of Christmas lights and decorated the wreaths herself -- so they looked professional and gave some class to the room but were still very cheap.

- When she helped plan and decorate for her parents' 40th wedding anniversary, she was in charge of taking all the little ancedotes that people submitted and making a book out of them. She ended up buying a book of paper samples (all different designs), printing the excerpts out on the computer in different fonts, matching them up with appropriate paper, and assembling this book she was making from scratch. The book was gorgeous and conveyed the warmth it needed to convey.

IOW, my wife would tell you she's "not creative," but if you assign her a practical task that allows for it, she creates a tasteful aesthetic with whatever she does. Same thing when she makes the kids Halloween costumes or talent show costumes/props, or whatever.

But her Ne is definitely geared towards "supporting" her SiFe functions -- it has to match her idea of what is appropriate, and in support of a practical goal.

I'm much more prone to be creative just... because I want and need to be... and more to express an idea rather than to implement a goal per se.

Il Morto Qui Parla

MBTI Type
INTP
I think this question by Seawolf is quite misguided.

Do N's live only in the realm of intuition? Most of us don't. So why would you assume a Sensor lives only in the present?

If you're an N, imagine yourself in a context where the senses are very important, such as appreciating visual beauty eg in an art gallery or a natural spot of beauty or a museum. Or imagine yourself playing or watching sport, trying to analyse it, to understand it. When you make yourself concentrate, when you take that effort to engage in your surroundings, you can understand and appreciate these things quite well, however, you will never have the detailed knowledge, appreciation or ability for these things which a sensor has.

It's the same for a sensor with abstract topics. The can make the effort to engage in them, and can enjoy them, but it's an effort, they're always in danger of drifting back to reality - just like an N in an art gallery is in danger of drifting back into their imagination. However, N's can engage with the physical world, understand it, and analyse it pretty well, even become proficient in some areas.

The same is true of sensors regarding abstractions.

As for living in the present - that's a more P/J thing. Ar you telling me SJ's don't tend to have good pension schemes?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ar you telling me SJ's don't tend to have good pension schemes?
My SJ sister-in-law actually got angry at my brother when he started a retirement account because she didn't think they could afford it. Once I told her that my husband had a 401K through his job and that we were putting as much into it as his job would match because we are not getting any younger and we don't want to retire poor, she seemed to feel better about my brother having that account. It really surprised me that she hadn't pushed for him to get one in the first place because she is normally such a whiz with money.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think this question by Seawolf is quite misguided.

Do N's live only in the realm of intuition? Most of us don't. So why would you assume a Sensor lives only in the present?

?

Its not black and white... just Ns tend to see the future better...

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
ESTP with planning skills... Arilee.

Ok perhaps they do oft go astray but that's more a lack of understanding the big picture than anything else.

So yes she's still quite in the now but she's more aware of the future than the stereotype suggests.

:wubbie: Thanks.

He's right though. I am able to plan quite well, I do try to look ahead and try to make sure that I know what I'm going to be doing. I don't really like uncertainty - especially where personal relationships or finances come in to it. One things that "S"s can be very good at through their "living in the moment" is the ability to change plans quickly, something NP's are not always quite so skilled at....

Xander and I work well together - we both forward plan. He finds more of the potential long term issues and solutions, whereas I resolve inforseen problems en route. We are both good at doing both roles though....

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
One things that "S"s can be very good at through their "living in the moment" is the ability to change plans quickly, something NP's are not always quite so skilled at....

:yim_rolling_on_the_
Errm changing your mind every five seconds or forgetting why you chose X and choosing Y this time around isn't exactly what I'd call flexibility Bub :smile:

I'd say the main thing to learn of the SP type is this is fun, screw the consequences... but being able to do it repeatedly without screwing the whole of life up.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Every see a problem with your tendency to live only within the present moment? SPs especially
We all physically live in the present moment, unless you time traveled.D If you are alluding to mentally living in the future, I think you would agree that we have to use the Ni function for that purpose. Otherwise, Ne is an extraverted function, needing extraverted stimuli to work. As a result, Ne sees possibilities for the future, Se types see opportunities.

With that said depending on which theory you subscribe to, Lenore Thomson has ISJs using Ni as it's third function (only behind INJs and ENJs). As an SP, I think about the future and don't live in the moment unless I am physically doing something of interest. If I am taking a walk, laying dormant or even doing repetitive work on the computer or in the yard, I think about the future and my mind wonders.

Il Morto Qui Parla

MBTI Type
INTP
We all physically live in the present moment, unless you time traveled.D If you are alluding to mentally living in the future, I think you would agree that we have to use the Ni function for that purpose. Otherwise, Ne is an extraverted function, needing extraverted stimuli to work. As a result, Ne sees possibilities for the future, Se types see opportunities.

With that said depending on which theory you subscribe to, Lenore Thomson has ISJs using Ni as it's third function (only behind INJs and ENJs). As an SP, I think about the future and don't live in the moment unless I am physically doing something of interest. If I am taking a walk, laying dormant or even doing repetitive work on the computer or in the yard, I think about the future and my mind wonders.

It surprises me that you are an ISTP. You do not communicate any differently to XNXX's. On a forum it's normally immediately obvious who the sensors are. I find it hard to believe a sensor would have patience for a topic such as this, especially an SP. I accept your self-typing, but it surprises me very much. I do not know a single SP who would enjoy spending a lot of time on a forum such as this.

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
My SJ sister-in-law actually got angry at my brother when he started a retirement account because she didn't think they could afford it. Once I told her that my husband had a 401K through his job and that we were putting as much into it as his job would match because we are not getting any younger and we don't want to retire poor, she seemed to feel better about my brother having that account. It really surprised me that she hadn't pushed for him to get one in the first place because she is normally such a whiz with money.
So like maybe an S might be thinking that even if it is for longterm and a person does not have enough money to do it now that they shouldnt do it then because 'practially' if they mess up now, there wont be a person for the 401 to even apply too? Cause for me, I would then possible argue that when is a good time to start one then? If I am not getting younger and do not see my pay increasing or debts decreasing then should I just sit on my butt and wait for retirement to come without any money saved up? I guess I (not sure if this is anti-S or not) says, out of the two situations (i.e. dying early from lack of money, vs taking a risk to work out something that could eliminate both problems) that I should take the opportunity that leads towards to best possible outcome assuming things work out. That although it may not seem that way now, nothing will change unless I try at least. Would an S say, that its not very practical because that rests on the ideal that it will work out and if it doesnt I may be in a worse situation? Etc etc etc along these lines of thought.

One things that "S"s can be very good at through their "living in the moment" is the ability to change plans quickly, something NP's are not always quite so skilled at....
You mention NPs what do you think of this compared to NJs though? Also, what is it that makes Ss so good a being quickly adaptable in plans but still maintain an outcome that doesn't completely screw it up by changing so much?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
You mention NPs what do you think of this compared to NJs though? Also, what is it that makes Ss so good a being quickly adaptable in plans but still maintain an outcome that doesn't completely screw it up by changing so much?

NJs I know typically have plans inside their heads... nothing overly detailed like SJs say must get this done by XXX... but they still have them. While they can adapt to changes, the first moment where problem arises flusters them a bit, where as SPs just say whatever and get right on with it.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It surprises me that you are an ISTP. You do not communicate any differently to XNXX's. On a forum it's normally immediately obvious who the sensors are. I find it hard to believe a sensor would have patience for a topic such as this, especially an SP. I accept your self-typing, but it surprises me very much. I do not know a single SP who would enjoy spending a lot of time on a forum such as this.
I actually think there are a great deal of SPs, misperceiving themselves as NTs on these forums. It's quite common for SPs, particularly ISTPs to mistaken themselves as NTs. As for your statement, I think you made the great observation that people are not different IRL. Besides if you find me on here during work hours, then I am taking a break and bored. I have a desk job. If I had a choice, I would most likely be doing something other than posting on a forum.

Last edited:

KMCE

Every see a problem with your tendency to live only within the present moment?

Um. Not really. I wonder why you would see it as a "problem", since everyone is by all accounts living in the "present moment"?

For me, I certainly care a lot about what I have at the present, like which degree I should pursue, how many friends I have, how well I'm doing financially, what car I'm driving (none, I don't even have a driving license), the well being of my parents... etc. I mean, I only focus on real things/people, and I don't see why others won't do the same.

I suppose imagination and day dreaming have their purposes but if you don't write them out as a novel or something to earn a few bucks then what's the point. <- I suppose this is what you mean by "living only in the present moment"?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
For me, I certainly care a lot about what I have at the present, like which degree I should pursue, how many friends I have, how well I'm doing financially, what car I'm driving (none, I don't even have a driving license), the well being of my parents... etc. I mean, I only focus on real things/people, and I don't see why others won't do the same.
Well like I said, not all sensing types are the same. I have a need to be financially stable, but doing work that is meaningful is far more important. As I write this, there is a discussion going on about identity theft, credit cards and credit. I find it all a bit boring. In fact, most discussions at work surround day to day things, which I find quite plebian.
I suppose imagination and day dreaming have their purposes but if you don't write them out as a novel or something to earn a few bucks then what's the point. <- I suppose this is what you mean by "living only in the present moment"?
Hmmmm....... I daydream quite a bit and actually hate writing anything out.

Last edited:

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am an SJ. And yes, I tend to have a problem with only living in the moment. I don't like thinking about the future, despite being J. It scares me. This also makes a procrastinator.. if I have something due in the future, I'll just not think about it until a few hours until I have to. I also don't like to do huge things that involve my future. For example, it took me a long time to do my FAFSA just because I don't like thinking about college. I know I should very P right now, but I am definitely J when it comes to other things. I like to be planned and structured, but I don't like thinking too far ahead. Sometimes this gets me into trouble, because I'm so scared of the future, that I'll just put things off. Like when I had to apply to colleges, I just kept putting it off because I didn't want to think about it. I don't know why I'm like this.. it's definitely a huge problem though. I really wish I were able to face my future better.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So like maybe an S might be thinking that even if it is for longterm and a person does not have enough money to do it now that they shouldnt do it then because 'practially' if they mess up now, there wont be a person for the 401 to even apply too? Cause for me, I would then possible argue that when is a good time to start one then? If I am not getting younger and do not see my pay increasing or debts decreasing then should I just sit on my butt and wait for retirement to come without any money saved up? I guess I (not sure if this is anti-S or not) says, out of the two situations (i.e. dying early from lack of money, vs taking a risk to work out something that could eliminate both problems) that I should take the opportunity that leads towards to best possible outcome assuming things work out. That although it may not seem that way now, nothing will change unless I try at least. Would an S say, that its not very practical because that rests on the ideal that it will work out and if it doesnt I may be in a worse situation? Etc etc etc along these lines of thought
FWIW, they aren't in any danger of dying from lack of money.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am an SJ. And yes, I tend to have a problem with only living in the moment. I don't like thinking about the future, despite being J. It scares me. This also makes a procrastinator.. if I have something due in the future, I'll just not think about it until a few hours until I have to. I also don't like to do huge things that involve my future. For example, it took me a long time to do my FAFSA just because I don't like thinking about college. I know I should very P right now, but I am definitely J when it comes to other things. I like to be planned and structured, but I don't like thinking too far ahead. Sometimes this gets me into trouble, because I'm so scared of the future, that I'll just put things off. Like when I had to apply to colleges, I just kept putting it off because I didn't want to think about it. I don't know why I'm like this.. it's definitely a huge problem though. I really wish I were able to face my future better.

Now that is interesting as I don't know one SJ in my life who isn't a planner for all things now and in the future (as it relates to practical, concrete things)