First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

ESTP with planning skills... Arilee.

Ok perhaps they do oft go astray but that's more a lack of understanding the big picture than anything else.

So yes she's still quite in the now but she's more aware of the future than the stereotype suggests.

An S with imagination = Sdalek.

Try him. You'll be surprised....and so will he if you lynch him for an example
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    You know when you use your Si a lot... your Ti begins to show... they are connected on introversion... same goes for Fe-Ne..

You can see an ISFJ get more creative when engaging in extroverted activity because their intuition is extroverted...
    For example, my ISFJ wife shows her creativity most when she is working on a tangible project.

- She decorated the church for the Valentine's dinner and for the Christmas season and had a limited budget for decorations for each. I felt she was very creative in what she was able to procure for the cheapest amount of money possible (thus coming in under budget) but working with it to ensure that the decorations still prettied up the place. For Christmas, for example, she bought some large bare wreathes, then bought bows and white strings of Christmas lights and decorated the wreaths herself -- so they looked professional and gave some class to the room but were still very cheap.

- When she helped plan and decorate for her parents' 40th wedding anniversary, she was in charge of taking all the little ancedotes that people submitted and making a book out of them. She ended up buying a book of paper samples (all different designs), printing the excerpts out on the computer in different fonts, matching them up with appropriate paper, and assembling this book she was making from scratch. The book was gorgeous and conveyed the warmth it needed to convey.

IOW, my wife would tell you she's "not creative," but if you assign her a practical task that allows for it, she creates a tasteful aesthetic with whatever she does. Same thing when she makes the kids Halloween costumes or talent show costumes/props, or whatever.

But her Ne is definitely geared towards "supporting" her SiFe functions -- it has to match her idea of what is appropriate, and in support of a practical goal.

I'm much more prone to be creative just... because I want and need to be... and more to express an idea rather than to implement a goal per se.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I think this question by Seawolf is quite misguided.

Do N's live only in the realm of intuition? Most of us don't. So why would you assume a Sensor lives only in the present?

If you're an N, imagine yourself in a context where the senses are very important, such as appreciating visual beauty eg in an art gallery or a natural spot of beauty or a museum. Or imagine yourself playing or watching sport, trying to analyse it, to understand it. When you make yourself concentrate, when you take that effort to engage in your surroundings, you can understand and appreciate these things quite well, however, you will never have the detailed knowledge, appreciation or ability for these things which a sensor has.

It's the same for a sensor with abstract topics. The can make the effort to engage in them, and can enjoy them, but it's an effort, they're always in danger of drifting back to reality - just like an N in an art gallery is in danger of drifting back into their imagination. However, N's can engage with the physical world, understand it, and analyse it pretty well, even become proficient in some areas.

The same is true of sensors regarding abstractions.

As for living in the present - that's a more P/J thing. Ar you telling me SJ's don't tend to have good pension schemes?
    dead man talking

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    Ar you telling me SJ's don't tend to have good pension schemes?
    My SJ sister-in-law actually got angry at my brother when he started a retirement account because she didn't think they could afford it. Once I told her that my husband had a 401K through his job and that we were putting as much into it as his job would match because we are not getting any younger and we don't want to retire poor, she seemed to feel better about my brother having that account. It really surprised me that she hadn't pushed for him to get one in the first place because she is normally such a whiz with money.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    You might wait for a long time, Shimpei. I'm not sure SW has a real life as we know it.

You'd be surprised...

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Qui Parla View Post
    I think this question by Seawolf is quite misguided.

Do N's live only in the realm of intuition? Most of us don't. So why would you assume a Sensor lives only in the present?

?
    Its not black and white... just Ns tend to see the future better...

Its not black and white... just Ns tend to see the future better...
    obviously. nobody questioned that.
    dead man talking

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    ESTP with planning skills... Arilee.

Ok perhaps they do oft go astray but that's more a lack of understanding the big picture than anything else.

So yes she's still quite in the now but she's more aware of the future than the stereotype suggests.
    Thanks.

He's right though. I am able to plan quite well, I do try to look ahead and try to make sure that I know what I'm going to be doing. I don't really like uncertainty - especially where personal relationships or finances come in to it. One things that "S"s can be very good at through their "living in the moment" is the ability to change plans quickly, something NP's are not always quite so skilled at....

Xander and I work well together - we both forward plan. He finds more of the potential long term issues and solutions, whereas I resolve inforseen problems en route. We are both good at doing both roles though....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Arilee View Post
    One things that "S"s can be very good at through their "living in the moment" is the ability to change plans quickly, something NP's are not always quite so skilled at....
    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Errm changing your mind every five seconds or forgetting why you chose X and choosing Y this time around isn't exactly what I'd call flexibility Bub

I'd say the main thing to learn of the SP type is this is fun, screw the consequences... but being able to do it repeatedly without screwing the whole of life up.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    TiSe

Every see a problem with your tendency to live only within the present moment? SPs especially
    We all physically live in the present moment, unless you time traveled.D If you are alluding to mentally living in the future, I think you would agree that we have to use the Ni function for that purpose. Otherwise, Ne is an extraverted function, needing extraverted stimuli to work. As a result, Ne sees possibilities for the future, Se types see opportunities.

With that said depending on which theory you subscribe to, Lenore Thomson has ISJs using Ni as it's third function (only behind INJs and ENJs). As an SP, I think about the future and don't live in the moment unless I am physically doing something of interest. If I am taking a walk, laying dormant or even doing repetitive work on the computer or in the yard, I think about the future and my mind wonders.