• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's and fantasy/sci fi

Do you like fantasy and science fiction?

• Total voters

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a little too much tertiary Te, sorry. :laugh: It tends to butt heads with my Ne :doh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
well... smack the Te on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and go on your merry way then! :laugh:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of my favorite books are sci fi or fantasy, but there's soooo much crappy sci fi out there, that I'm not really into the genre as a whole.
I agree, you have to be really picky, it almost seems like the standards are lower in that genre - like they're focusing on all the details of their stupid robots and ignoring the quality of their actual writing! Overly technical scifi books suck in general, actually.

but I loved Avatar :)

I don't care that much about movies having "deep" or "original" plots (I care more about that in books), obviously it had neither, but it was a fun experience to imagine yourself in that world.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
This result goes against the script doesn't it? Aren't we supposed to stick to MTV, Extreme sports and American Chopper?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This result goes against the script doesn't it? Aren't we supposed to stick to MTV, Extreme sports and American Chopper?

I like that also, there's no contradictions!

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I agree, you have to be really picky, it almost seems like the standards are lower in that genre - like they're focusing on all the details of their stupid robots and ignoring the quality of their actual writing! Overly technical scifi books suck in general, actually.

Exactly!!

KDude

Star Trek can be real technobabble-ish and all that.. I used to not give them a chance. I'm not sure what warmed me up to it, but it's a lot funnier and more focused on character issues than it first comes across.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I can zone out pretty easy, helps with the technobabble stuff.

wolfy

awsm
It is interesting how Quinlan mentioned idealism in fantasy. I had never thought of that, I think that is part of what puts me off. I am not into technobabble either. Interesting ideas interest me. Like the old HG Wells story of the guy the could listen to trees and found they were screaming when cut. Or all the weird ideas in Hitchhiker's. I also need adventure, action and comedy.

KDude

Why does it put you off? Fi is ideal oriented. Be it in art or ethics.. It's more about that anything else at least. That Lenore Thomson book you were reading had a pretty cool description of Fi on these terms. It's kind of what throws me off on being NF at times (I just don't have the "Ne" thought process, and probably shouldn't retype myself just yet :D).

wolfy

awsm
Why does it put you off? Fi is ideal oriented. Be it in art or ethics.. It's more about that anything else at least. That Lenore Thomson book you were reading had a pretty cool description of Fi on these terms. It's kind of what throws me off on being NF at times (I just don't have the "Ne" thought process, and probably shouldn't retype myself just yet :D).

I don't know why. I'd like to get to the bottom of it though.

wolfy

awsm
I feel fantasy is idealistic in the more global sense of the word. I think that Se pushes isfp to be more idealistic about whatever it is they are into. I am that kind of idealistic, I can see that pretty clearly, but the other more global kind of idealism I don't see in myself so strongly.

I am kind of stoked I figured that out.

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
i am an ESFP and HELL no. never been interested in anything remotely unrealisitic: harry potter, lord o fthe rings, starwars, twilight, video games...

oh HELLLLL no.
bring on the nonfiction, the drama flix, documentaries..

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ ...and on the other hand, I have a (VERY) ESFP friend who likes sci-fi. It's not her ideal genre, but she loves the original Star Trek, and anything by Stanley Kubrick (and he did a lot of sci-fi). But most of the sci-fi she likes is sci-fi with a real-world connotation - i.e. you can analyze it to see how it relates to the time it was made, as an artistic expression of the opinions of the time. Or as a reflection of some meaningful thing. I dunno - she's much more deep than I am.

Random observation: Doesn't seem to be a correlation. Unless it's based on how high the person scores on S. Maybe.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I refuse to read or watch anything harry potter related. I mean what's so inciting about a wizard with a stick? He defiantly needs a chainsaw, a sword or some kind oh cool looking machine gun.:D P.S district 9 was a great movie!.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It takes a lot of "C'mon you gotta see this" from friends before I watch something in that genre. Usually they introduce me to stuff I wouldn't normally watch and then I end up liking it. My ENFP friend introduced me to True Blood and now I'm hooked but generally I am not attracted to the genre.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True Blood is a very nice show too.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always loved the fantasy genre. Couldn't even count how many fantasy books I've read. They were definitely my favorite growing up... When my parents couldn't find me, it was because I climbed a tree to read a fantasy book. :laugh: A good place not to be interrupted by annoying siblings. :yes: