• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's and fantasy/sci fi

Do you like fantasy and science fiction?

• Total voters

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my ISTP roommates despises[...] Harry Potter. He refuses to watch it, wants nothing to do with it.

Are you sure that ISTP is not me?:cheese:

I totally despise Harry Potter, plus Twilight.

KDude

Yeah, but you're a Buffy geek like you said ;)

Sounds like this other dude is totally hung up on realism. My dad's that way, but at least he sort of has an excuse since he's an old fart.

KDude

You're just talking about a quality/personal preference thing though. They're both fantasy-based, and you have nothing against the general concept at least.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes if it amuses me, no otherwise... I like Hitchhiker's Guide (all of the books!), Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Kurt Vonnegut and I really enjoyed Something Wicked This Way Comes... the authors who are too damned serious or attract really obnoxious fans tend to make me flee though... I don't like romance novels :thumbdown:

KDude

I just finally watched avatar btw.. that was pretty rad :)

You could say that whole movie is about a short sighted sensor getting some ideals, and finding his true self in a fantasy. :shock:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I don't like Harry Potter. The first book brought back unpleasant images of school so I stopped reading it. Plus it was poorly written, with lots of grammatical errors, and that annoyed me. I'd like to be able to focus on a story, not on wanting to edit it!
I love Star Trek and Lord of the Rings.
I've read some of Robert Jordan's books and I like those, too.
Oh, yeah. I enjoyed Avatar, too. Very colorful!!!
edit: How could I forget Doctor Who? I am a Doctor Who fan!

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Kurt Vonnegut: :nice:
Romance novels: :BangHead:

Yes if it amuses me, no otherwise... I like Hitchhiker's Guide (all of the books!), Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Kurt Vonnegut and I really enjoyed Something Wicked This Way Comes... the authors who are too damned serious or attract really obnoxious fans tend to make me flee though... I don't like romance novels :thumbdown:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my best friends (ESTP) is a major sci-fi geek. Very, very into Babylon 5, Star Trek and Doctor Who.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm on the fence, altho I voted yes. Some of my favorite books are sci fi or fantasy, but there's soooo much crappy sci fi out there, that I'm not really into the genre as a whole. And fantasy generally drives me nuts.

Books I :wubbie:
Harry Potter series (particularly books 4 and 5...I kinda hated the end and prologue)
Ender's Game (I don't care for the rest in that series. They're not as focused on Ender as I would have liked)
Ender's Shadow (Bean is awesome!)
Brave New World
Matilda by Roald Dahl

I absolutely hated Avatar and it's stupid papyrus font and rip on everything cool in Sci Fi that was turned into crappy dialog, predictable bullshit romance and an overall terrible story with a worse execution.

Ahem.

Sci Fi tv I like...
BSG (Reimagined series...I tried watching the original and it hurt my brain)
SG-1 (terribly cheesy, but I <3 MacGyver)
CSI (Vegas before Morpheus joined the cast and Grissom and Sarah started their weirdo relationship)

I've never been into Star Trek...and I've never seen all of the Star Wars films.
I liked the new ST movie with Sylar from Heroes in it. Um. I didn't like season 1 of Heroes. I'm too ADD for series that are always To Be Continued. And it had too many characters with too many story lines, imo. It didn't make it very easy to follow and I always felt like I *had* to watch the next one. I could never JUST watch one.

Ok, my post is long. Done!

Sunny Ghost

I'm on the fence, altho I voted yes. Some of my favorite books are sci fi or fantasy, but there's soooo much crappy sci fi out there, that I'm not really into the genre as a whole. And fantasy generally drives me nuts.

Books I :wubbie:
Harry Potter series (particularly books 4 and 5...I kinda hated the end and prologue)
Ender's Game (I don't care for the rest in that series. They're not as focused on Ender as I would have liked)
Ender's Shadow (Bean is awesome!)
Brave New World
Matilda by Roald Dahl

I absolutely hated Avatar and it's stupid papyrus font and rip on everything cool in Sci Fi that was turned into crappy dialog, predictable bullshit romance and an overall terrible story with a worse execution.

Ahem.

Sci Fi tv I like...
BSG (Reimagined series...I tried watching the original and it hurt my brain)
SG-1 (terribly cheesy, but I <3 MacGyver)
CSI (Vegas before Morpheus joined the cast and Grissom and Sarah started their weirdo relationship)

I've never been into Star Trek...and I've never seen all of the Star Wars films.
I liked the new ST movie with Sylar from Heroes in it. Um. I didn't like season 1 of Heroes. I'm too ADD for series that are always To Be Continued. And it had too many characters with too many story lines, imo. It didn't make it very easy to follow and I always felt like I *had* to watch the next one. I could never JUST watch one.

Ok, my post is long. Done!

I suppose having gone through my anthropology major phase, I found Avatar to be quite fascinating. I also felt it struck a chord with my inner Pocahontas.

Heroes is definitely up there for favorite television shows for me! Season one was the best!! :shock:

Longtime SG-1 fan! :smile:

I s'pose my fantasy/sci fi hating ISTP roommate is just some strange fluke. There are far more SP's of the T variety that enjoy the genre than I thought would.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose having gone through my anthropology major phase, I found Avatar to be quite fascinating. I also felt it struck a chord with my inner Pocahontas.

Heroes is definitely up there for favorite television shows for me! Season one was the best!! :shock:

Longtime SG-1 fan! :smile:

I s'pose my fantasy/sci fi hating ISTP roommate is just some strange fluke. There are far more SP's of the T variety that enjoy the genre than I thought would.
That could of course be a side-effect of the fact the kind of SPs who hate sci-fi and the like stay away from sites like this. Food for thought. ;)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
That could of course be a side-effect of the fact the kind of SPs who hate sci-fi and the like stay away from sites like this. Food for thought. ;)

Nonsense! All SPs ever are on this site! lololololololol.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

hey, I have an SJ who's a total sci-fi geek but doesn't enjoy using the internet for communication purposes... he prefers it for playing the Star Trek online game and ordering books :doh:

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

:laugh: My husband would not be on a website like this. I do pass on the gossip intellectual conversations that I think he'll find interesting but he doesn't ask.

If it wasn't for my INFP sister, who is totally into si-fi/fastasy, even on tv/movies, I wouldn't know half of the good stuff out there.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I forgot Stargate SG-1.:nice:

My favourite Sci-Fi/Fantasy writer is Robert Silverberg, by the way.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hey, I have an SJ who's a total sci-fi geek but doesn't enjoy using the internet for communication purposes... he prefers it for playing the Star Trek online game and ordering books :doh:
Relevance? :huh: I referenced to SPs who don't like sci-fi. ;)