• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's and fantasy/sci fi

Do you like fantasy and science fiction?

• Total voters

Sunny Ghost

I'm curious how us realistic, practical types feel about fantasy and science fiction. One of my ISTP roommates despises anything that is seemingly unreal... for instance Harry Potter. He refuses to watch it, wants nothing to do with it. Other movies we've watched he just couldn't get into because of their unrealistic qualities. However, for me, fantasy and science fiction are amongst my favorite genres. I'm actually sort of bored with anything that's too realistic. How do you other SP's feel about fantasy and science fiction?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I can get bored the same way, I need some theory here and there it's just not our primary preference.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Some fantasy/si-fi books really opened my mind (ie John Varley, Tanith Lee). However, my ISTP husband doesn't care for the genre.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are my favourite entertainment-books (fantasy more than scifi).

Movies are hit or miss, there's some great ones (a la matrix) and some pretty awful ones (a la clash of the titans). I guess that goes for most genres though.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a big Star Trek and LOTR geek.

When I draw pictures I like to have some kind of fantasy element to it, it feels more interesting.

It's like I find courtroom dramas boring but stick a latex lump on the lead prosecuters head and maybe some pointy ears and all of a sudden I'm all "wahhheyyy!".

Sunny Ghost

I figure it'll probably be the xSFP's that will get more joy from fantasy and science fiction, and the xSTP's that will despise or care much less for it.

Some fantasy/si-fi books really opened my mind (ie John Varley, Tanith Lee). However, my ISTP husband doesn't care for the genre.

It's precisely what I enjoy fantasy/sci fi for as well. New possibilities, broadened horizon, and not to mention being taken away to a foreign land.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think if there is a split it will be the E/I split.

Sunny Ghost

They are my favourite entertainment-books (fantasy more than scifi).

Movies are hit or miss, there's some great ones (a la matrix) and some pretty awful ones (a la clash of the titans). I guess that goes for most genres though.

I guess this was posted while I was posting... and you've proved me wrong.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Because fantasy is like idealistic visions (Fi + Ni) and Sci Fi is like looking into the future (Ti + Ni).

Nah I don't actually know, just a hunch.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i like science fiction, it is great! i haven't read any sci-fi in a while. i really like Ray Bradbury's books a lot.
i can get pretty nerdy about Star Wars sometimes, it is awesome. :thumbup:
The 5th Element is the best sci-fi movie though. :D

i am not really into fantasy. my wife reads lots and lots of fantasy books. she loves her some fantasy. she is an ISFP.

wolfy

awsm
I think I like sci fi and but can be a bit iffy on fantasy. How should I vote I wonder... My wife likes fantasy and is isfp, maybe that can tip the scales. We could vote as a couple or something.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
i'm surprisingly into fantasy and sci-fi lol...just not as hardcore as those infp/intps tho lol

Sunny Ghost

I think I like sci fi and but can be a bit iffy on fantasy. How should I vote I wonder... My wife likes fantasy and is isfp, maybe that can tip the scales. We could vote as a couple or something.

hahaha! a flawed poll, i suppose.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I said yes, but it really depends on the quality of the product regardless of its label. Just cause it takes place in another world with magic or advanced tech or alternate history doesn't make the human journey less realistic.

Hell, I've read/watched "realistic" stuff that was way more fantastic than "fantasy".

Sunny Ghost

I said yes, but it really depends on the quality of the product regardless of its label. Just cause it takes place in another world with magic or advanced tech or alternate history doesn't make the human journey less realistic.

Hell, I've read/watched "realistic" stuff that was way more fantastic than "fantasy".

well, of course quality matters. :) i can't think of anything off the top of my head, but i'm positive that there have been a number of fantasy/sci fi stuff that i just couldn't take.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sci-Fi, yes a lot. Fantasy, not really. A few Sci-Fi/Fantasy mix can be good though, but I usually dislike pure fantasy. The only one fantasy novel I have read is LOTR, wich is boring for the most part, and it's less boring than the average fantasy novel. But I liked the movie very much. I've also read Bilbo the hobbit wich is quite nice and try to read The Silmarillon, but too much boring. In tohers hand, I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy series made by Joss Whedon. I'am also a Star Wars geek and Expanded Universe aficionados, but I've never considered Star Wars like Sci-Fi, but more as a pure Space-Opera with some fantasy element (not in an abusive way). I've disliked most part of Sci-Fi blockbuster (like Alien, Avatar or Matrix for example) and I've never seen anything of Star Trek, I've never been interested with. What I can't bear is all theses metal band who are inspired by fantasy/scandinavian universes , that's totally ridiculous and disgusting.:sick: Plus it's horrible music.:sick:

Actually, I'am a Buffyverse, Star Wars Universe and Dune Universe aficionados, so I guess I'am quite Sci-Fi/Fantasy geeky actually.:D There was a Star Wars Convention in Paris in 2007 and I regret to not have been here. I want to go to the 2017 Star Wars convention and I'm often wandering about what could be my disguise, lol.:laugh:

KDude

I'm curious how us realistic, practical types feel about fantasy and science fiction.

News of my practicality is greatly exaggerated. Probably an I"s"FP like you. Or maybe Quin is on to something.. like it's a "Fi-Ni" thing. Because what I'm mainly attracted to is heroism/idealism. Be it historical/realistic/ or fantasy. If they are stories based on someone real (like Joan of Arc or Robin Hood), then they are much more cool and personally inspiring.. but.. I'll take fantasy and sci-fi too.

Haven't read much though, outside of Dune and Conan books. I've tried Lord of the Rings and Song of Ice and Fire, but couldn't keep up with them - but I liked the LOTR movies. Also like games or anime on that angle. Lastly, I used to read (and draw) comics when I was a kid.. kind of got out of it by my teens, but most of the comic movies made nowadays are cool.