• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] Frustrated ESTP

arghh

MBTI Type
ESTP
Early in my career I was a data analyst who helped clients in crisis situations, I was a junior staff who was in love with what he did. As I progressed further in my career, the role developed into being a team leader and eventual project/program manager. In what seems like the blink of an eye, I became an IT Director leading a team of 20 individuals, making good money. BUT I have realized I am miserable doing what I do today. WHY? Because the thrill of the crisis and challenge is not there, I now have to manage teams, develop strategic plans and budget/forecast constantly... I guess could have stayed as a data analyst making 1/4 of what I do now...

I am sure I am not the only ESTP who has experienced the pain of sitting behind a desk from 8-6.. And I know that it is slowly killing me... But I am stuck and frustrated as I have no idea how I can find something that fits my personality and passions. Looking up careers for ESTP's gives me options such as stockbroker / emt / etc but in reality, as I am in my late 30's, starting from scratch is out of the question as I could not suffer the pay cut as I am the breadwinner in my family.

I am sure I am not alone, and I just needed to see if anyone else was in this same rut and managed a way out.

btw, I love this line I saw in a post in this forums for SP

That's why we are artisans not artists, acquaintances not friends, jack of all trades not masters of one, one-line comics not novelists.

So so so true, but what can we do with that...:cry:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm busy LOOKING for a job at the moment where I don't have to sit behind a desk and do the same thing over and over... unfortunatly if you have the wrong sort of education (stats and translating) most of your choices involve sitting, I've concluded :sadbanana:

in other words, I sympathize :)

Sunny Ghost

i'm not an estp, but i can sympathize. sitting behind a desk working 9-5, or 8-6, sounds dreadful. us SP's definitely yearn for a life of adventure, and crisis solving definitely fits that description. get yourself demoted?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You should leave and go work for BP...I bet enough stuff is going on around there to keep your mind occupied and keep boredom at bay.

Or it's time to travel the world.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Early in my career I was a data analyst who helped clients in crisis situations, I was a junior staff who was in love with what he did. As I progressed further in my career, the role developed into being a team leader and eventual project/program manager. In what seems like the blink of an eye, I became an IT Director leading a team of 20 individuals, making good money. BUT I have realized I am miserable doing what I do today. WHY? Because the thrill of the crisis and challenge is not there, I now have to manage teams, develop strategic plans and budget/forecast constantly... I guess could have stayed as a data analyst making 1/4 of what I do now...

I am sure I am not the only ESTP who has experienced the pain of sitting behind a desk from 8-6.. And I know that it is slowly killing me... But I am stuck and frustrated as I have no idea how I can find something that fits my personality and passions. Looking up careers for ESTP's gives me options such as stockbroker / emt / etc but in reality, as I am in my late 30's, starting from scratch is out of the question as I could not suffer the pay cut as I am the breadwinner in my family.

I am sure I am not alone, and I just needed to see if anyone else was in this same rut and managed a way out.

That's why we are artisans not artists, acquaintances not friends, jack of all trades not masters of one, one-line comics not novelists.

I'm of the mindset that it's never too late to do something you love. Life is short....or perilously long if we SP's can't face new and exciting challenges.

I don't know about your work schedule and what you eventually want to end up doing but there's lots of avenues. Night and online classes if need be. You may have to take a pay cut but it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of all that. Just a thought. Either way, I'm sure Halla will have some very good suggestions when he gets to this thread. :)

KDude

I sympathize as well.. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and shit. This would be more frustrating for an ESTP, I think. Just take it a day at a time, I guess, and focus on things that need immediate change first. Either this, or keep the good money, and channel your ESTP-ness in hobbies and vacation. :) At the very least, that takes some of the pressure off (I don't mean to sound pessimistic about finding fulfillment in career though. Just a thought).

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In 2001, I supervised three support teams at a Fortune 50. Consisting of 17 full-time, 5 interns and 2 part-time. 60,000 end users, 12 business units, I averaged 356 emails to my inbox alone per day. At least 2 or 3 meetings. Get up at 5am to review what happened the day before, the routine morning conference call with management. Work til 7 or 9 pm each evening to get done, what you can't do without interruption.

When I found out the organizational function was being outsourced, I was secretly estatic! Let management know I'd be glad to help and remain for the transition. But that I did not want to continue as an internal liason with the outsourced team. I switched out into an evening/technical role for the remaining eight months, while opening up my former role to someone on the team who wanted to remain. The crazy part about it, it gave me a ten percent increase with a shift differential and I found myself working five less hours per day.

Since that time I've carefully selected technical roles, I thought I would enjoy. One's that present crisis situations, that provide enough entertainment to keep the more mundane and repetative acceptable. Roles that allow me internal mobility, without excess travel. The job that drove me nuts? I've found it interesting, that I readily spot information that's useful to pass onto management...toward improving organizational product/performance.

Someone I've kept up with for years, more so desired the management track. But they chose companies, and positions where they could be "hands-on" in addition to budgeting, planning etc. There are some smaller gems out there who pay just as much if not more than the big boys. That guy's been lucky to find those, etc.

Best advise is to start a process of down-sizing your life. zenhabits.net is a good resource for inspiration. Leo left the corporate world, he has several kids and now lives in a nice location. Very satisfied with a simpler life.

I know of several very successful individuals, who's large salaries and assets vanished during this economic down-turn. I simply mention it knowing anything can happen in life. Why be a slave to things? Warren Buffett seems to be doing pretty good still living in the house he purchased in 1978 for 38,000 dollars. The billions could disappear, and he'd be just as well off perspectively.

More so sounds to me, it might be wise to find a position that offers the opportunity to do what you enjoy. I don't get the impression that you've got a career mismatch, just a job mismatch that a good recruiter might be able to help you resolve...if you don't see a spot you could slide into with your existing company.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ok, what is it with SP's and three... ?

Do other types do that as much in writing? "..."

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am sure I am not the only ESTP who has experienced the pain of sitting behind a desk from 8-6.. And I know that it is slowly killing me...

You are not alone. The job is killing your spirit, but you caught it before it is too late. Knowing what is wrong is half the battle.

But I am stuck and frustrated as I have no idea how I can find something that fits my personality and passions. Looking up careers for ESTP's gives me options such as stockbroker / emt / etc but in reality, as I am in my late 30's, starting from scratch is out of the question as I could not suffer the pay cut as I am the breadwinner in my family.

So far, I have tried the MAPP assessment here [ Assessment.com - Home to the MAPP Assessment and more | part of it is free, I bought the $38 version I think] and it was interesting as it did identify jobs that it thought would be a good fit for me, of which I agreed with, but would most likely not have thought of myself.

I have entrepeneurial aspirations. I'm constantly conjuring up ideas, and one day I will pursue the marketing of one or more of them. With two young kids, a wife, and being the breadwinner, I understand your frustration, as there is nothing more important than fulfilling your duties to remain the good and noble king of the castle, but doing so does limit your options in other areas of your life. So what. It's temporary. The kids will get bigger...fast.

Also, I am one artistic bastard. I write music, I paint, I draw, etc. I build things too. Decks, furniture, contraptions, disasters, etc. How does my office job satisfy these aspects of my personality? IT DOES NOT! :thumbdown:

So, I am seriously considering going back to school to become a Dentist. They workwith people, help people, make great money, and have an artisitic + technical aspect to their work, especially cosmetic work.

You are not alone. Personally, I am in a similar boat. Veteran techie, 10 years, government manager 5 years, statisitician/data analyst/systems architecht, blah blah :zzz:

I began looking inward for what would remedy my occupational miasma. Ironically enough, I am finishing a Master's Degree in public administration, and you know what that degree has solidifed in me? ANSWER: The feeling that I do not want to be a public official for the rest of my life. :laugh:

I also started this thread recently that kind of speaks to resolving this issue:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...eveloping-your-natural-strengths-talents.html

It's still somewhat new, but it does have some great info from the first few respondents, Insatiable Curiousity and Wolfy really dropped some great wisdom.

That's a great line, Muhahaaa...

Don't be so downtrodden, here's what we can do with that:

We make the dreams that others follow, we convert masses of strangers to members of our life communities, we know enough about everything to do what is needed when it is needed, and we have the fortitude and will to take that step when others do not, for we are not afraid of failure, we revel in the chance to apply all that is within us to our surroundings in an effort to make this world a better place, and to satisfy our own wants and needs in harmony with the universe.

Minimize everything in your life right now to create time to reflect, scheme, plot, plan, etc. You need some SPACE, Bro. Go and do something fun and recharge your battery, then begin planning the next chapter of your life. :newwink:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Look at Halla go! :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

:yes: I can relate so much to that its not funny...I dont like others knowing what I know because then I get pulled in certain directions and things can end up as work instead of fun.

I miss my previous job where I was title project support. I basically created one-off programs for all these different groups within the company. They were mostly tracking/flow management software customized to handle the needs of that area. Very fast paced which made it a very agile style of rolling out upgrades to functionality the second they were finished.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ok, what is it with SP's and three... ?

Do other types do that as much in writing? "..."

No, I'm notorious for that ... it must be a P thing.

To the OP, you gotta get outta there. Sitting will kill you!

You sitting down? Experts say it’ll kill you - Health - Fitness - msnbc.com

And until then, get a treadmill desk. All the fatties in the world have yielded such amazing inventions! :smile:

treadmill-desk-4.jpg

Trust me, I sympathize. I majored in ACCOUNTING for P's sake. It's like the Unforgiveable Sin that will banish me to Chair Hell.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
... Dentist.

WTF!? Seriously?

Wait, the draw isn't the fact that it has the highest suicide rate, is it?

Being an entrepreneur I can understand, particularly since there seemed to be a sort of boom in the tech industry. Pitching angel investors is so ESTPland.

KDude

I thought Psychologists had the highest suicide rate.

Dentists are HAPPY :tongue:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM].[/youtube]