• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Trying to get along with ESFP ex wife?

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, the deal is there is an insane lack of "impulse control." They're Se dominant, driven by internal values and feelings; ESTPs can be self-indulgent as well (the other Se-dominant type), but the impersonal T helps them better self-evalute, I think, and conform themselves into some sort of external rational structure even if it's pragmatic in nature.

I had one very close ESFP friend who I'm no longer friends with, by her own choice. She was in a structured society that kept her channeled within particular behavior for much of her life, then basically made a series of bad decisions on emotional impulse without caring about the long-term picture of her choices, and she dumped all of her friends one by one as we told her that we were concerned. ESFP can be remarkable short-term unless they have a very specific goal of some sort to guide them.

EPs also seem to have a remarkably hard time not talking, especially if they've got something burning to say. (IPs have a much easier time of it.)

I'm just saying that in this situation with the gossip -- I don't want to make excuses for a type, but I think it's a pervasive typical pattern for ESFP to have issues with keeping mum, especially if they are emotionally motivated.

That was like my friend too. She wasn't great at thinking through things then either, but she was a very fun, exuberant, happy person who made others happy. Once she drifted off course, everything got very ugly. It's been years now, I rarely see her, and I don't like her when I see her because she's become a negative and critical person.... who gossips incessantly.

I'm curious to know: what triggered your ESFP friend to "drift off"? And how does she manifest her negativity, criticism and gossiping? Is it extremely obvious, or subtle and back-handed?

whynot

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm curious to know: what triggered your ESFP friend to "drift off"? And how does she manifest her negativity, criticism and gossiping? Is it extremely obvious, or subtle and back-handed?

Great question... I'm curious about that as well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
it's not my style to get in someone's face... i'd have to be really pissed off and she doesn't bother me that much. i'm not afraid of confrontation, i just do it as a last resort b/c of the drama it stirs up. and to me that would show that she was able to get under my skin which = weakness. i'm not to that point anyway... she's just annoying. i'm just going to keep ignoring her and hope she eventually fades away. i guess what frustrates me most is that i don't get why she acts this way. it's so much easier to be an adult about the whole situation and move on with your life, without any bullshit.

While you may see that (getting in someone's face) as weakness, just know that other types see non-confrontational behavior as weaker. That's what we're trying to explain.

If she's annoying and frustrating, avoid her. That's what I do with my mother, and that's what my ENFJ sister does. WALK AWAY. DONT ANSWER THE PHONE. Etc. I love my mom, but I can't live in the same house with her, and if I spend too much time with her I'll choke her...but she's an especially histrionic ESFP with some issues from childhood, I'm not trying to say that she's the healthiest example.

My ex on the other hand is less histrionic, and more educated than my mother, so he comes across as a more "highly developed" eSFP...until you see his problems with aggression, and he thinks that people who don't fight back are weak people who deserve what they get.

That's why I used the two of them as examples...neither are the ideal, "healthy" ESFP, for two different reasons...sounds like your bfs ex-wife is more like my mom.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, and I also think Jennifer's right...some of this stuff is just type differences. I think all EPs talk a lot, and ExFPs are going to be more emotional and impulsive (I am!) ...even "healthy" ESFPs do have a tendency to gossip and be more concerned with the performance than the background...you're not going to be able to change her, but I'm sure you already know that.

whynot

MBTI Type
INFJ
While you may see that (getting in someone's face) as weakness, just know that other types see non-confrontational behavior as weaker. That's what we're trying to explain.

If she's annoying and frustrating, avoid her. That's what I do with my mother, and that's what my ENFJ sister does. WALK AWAY. DONT ANSWER THE PHONE. Etc. I love my mom, but I can't live in the same house with her, and if I spend too much time with her I'll choke her...but she's an especially histrionic ESFP with some issues from childhood, I'm not trying to say that she's the healthiest example.

My ex on the other hand is less histrionic, and more educated than my mother, so he comes across as a more "highly developed" eSFP...until you see his problems with aggression, and he thinks that people who don't fight back are weak people who deserve what they get.

That's why I used the two of them as examples...neither are the ideal, "healthy" ESFP, for two different reasons...sounds like your bfs ex-wife is more like my mom.

thanks for the examples. i understand what you mean by confrontation being a weakness in my eyes but not an ESFPs. from her actions, i have a feeling she doesn't like me and will never want to be civil with me, so hopefully i can just ignore her and she'll get bored... we'll see.

whynot

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, and I also think Jennifer's right...some of this stuff is just type differences. I think all EPs talk a lot, and ExFPs are going to be more emotional and impulsive (I am!) ...even "healthy" ESFPs do have a tendency to gossip and be more concerned with the performance than the background...you're not going to be able to change her, but I'm sure you already know that.

oh yeah, there's no changing her. lol

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a little surprised she hasn't found a new man and practically forgotten about her ex.

whynot

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a little surprised she hasn't found a new man and practically forgotten about her ex.

she left my bf for a man years ago. she's still with him, but i don't think she's very happy. i think what she's having a hard time with is the fact that my boyfriend is happy without her, and she still hasn't found that.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sounds like my ESFP mother. She thinks happiness comes from outside.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been dating this guy for a few years now and he has an ESFP ex wife. I'm trying really hard to just be civil with her, but it seem impossible... she acts really immature about the situation and still "can't handle" seeing us together, even though she's the one who left him for someone else. They don't have any kids, but she's very close with a few people in the family and still has what you would call partial custody of their dogs (yeah, i know...), so she's around quite often.

She shows a lot of the negative ESFP traits that I just can't relate to or understand... Always gossiping. God, I can't stand that. Very self-centered, superficial, talks just to hear herself speak, manipulative, loves drama, lacks substance (everything is about fashion and the way people look), etc. She cries on the spot and still tries to get between my bf and I at times, but he usually just blows her off. We have a solid relationship, so this is more of an annoying issue for me. I feel like her and I have nothing in common and I can see right through her fake exterior. How do I learn to deal with her when she's always concerned with our lives and gossips about me all of the time? I've always been the type of person who just ignores/doesn't associate with people like her, but it looks like I have no choice but to learn to accept her being somewhat in the picture... at least for a while.

...and why can't she be one of the "healthy" ESFPs I read about?! They sound like fun. :doh:

oh, for the love of gawd! Don't be self-inflicting stupid. Ditch the idiotic boyfriend and his idiotic family and run like hell! :yes:

whynot

MBTI Type
INFJ
Run away because of this one issue when everything else is good? That's not my style either. Everyone has some sort of baggage. He's a healthy intj, so overall I consider myself lucky.

I think i look at the issue as more of a puzzle... figuring out how to deal with this type of person. whether we break up or not, there will be people in my life I don't relate to but will have to deal with.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, we all need to make our own choices. I have absolutely no patience for manipulative, controlling, drama types...nor people who do. There are relatives I haven't seen or spoken to in decades for that very reason.

Life's infinately more peaceful and enjoyable without them.

In work, in community organizations etc. like tends to attract like and there are dominant elements to almost any given environment. I prefer to seek out places where I naturally fit vs. circumstances where I find myself put out in accomodating others.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
In work, in community organizations etc. like tends to attract like and there are dominant elements to almost any given environment. I prefer to seek out places where I naturally fit vs. circumstances where I find myself put out in accomodating others.

This is a common trap. But very dangerous.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Run away because of this one issue when everything else is good? That's not my style either. Everyone has some sort of baggage. He's a healthy intj, so overall I consider myself lucky.

I think i look at the issue as more of a puzzle... figuring out how to deal with this type of person. whether we break up or not, there will be people in my life I don't relate to but will have to deal with.

Yeah, I strongly disagree with the people who are saying you should break up with your bf over this. I think that's going way too far if everything else is satisfactory about the relationship.

It's not his fault if his ex is bff's with his sister.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I strongly disagree with the people who are saying you should break up with your bf over this. I think that's going way too far if everything else is satisfactory about the relationship.

It's not his fault if his ex is bff's with his sister.

To me the idea that a person finds themself in scenarios where they have to deal with the ex- at all. Shows a complete and utter lack of EQ.

But it is kind of fun to watch people run for hot stoves; and wonder why or how they got burnt?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
To me the idea that a person finds themself in scenarios where they have to deal with the ex- at all. Shows a complete and utter lack of EQ.

But it is kind of fun to watch people run for hot stoves; and wonder why or how they got burnt?

I don't think that the OP is the person who lacks EQ.

whynot

MBTI Type
INFJ

Your judgments are overly simplistic. I think learning to handle rather than avoid situations that cause stress, learning to cope with issues such as these, and being civil with an ex are all signs of emotional maturity.