• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP favorites

Sunny Ghost

I couldn't find a thread on this, but I'm sure someone will probably redirect me...:wink: anywho, I was curious of possible commonalities we as ISFP's may have in music or movies & the like. What are you attracted to in the movie or story or when listening to a piece? Or even extend it to books, poetry and artists. Since we process information in similar ways, would we have similar tastes? Or be in to different things, but still enjoy them for similar reasons. (Make sense?)

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I couldn't find a thread on this, but I'm sure someone will probably redirect me...:wink: anywho, I was curious of possible commonalities we as ISFP's may have in music or movies & the like. What are you attracted to in the movie or story or when listening to a piece? Or even extend it to books, poetry and artists. Since we process information in similar ways, would we have similar tastes? Or be in to different things, but still enjoy them for similar reasons. (Make sense?)

I enjoy country and folk music: Alison Krauss (her voice is just beautiful), Don Williams, Dierks Bentley, Enya, Loreena McKennitt. I enjoy Billy Jacob (painter) and have several of his prints hanging on my wall. As for books, my all time favourite author is Tanith Lee (gothic writer) especially her flat earth series.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I like movies with great soundtracks!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Movies:

Lord of the Rings
Gladiator
Braveheart
Snatch
Lock stock and two smoking barrels
The original Starwars trilogy
Star Treks
Batman Begins and the Dark Knight
The first Matrix
American History X
Predator
Back to the Future trilogy
The first Jurassic Park
The Green Mile
Jaws
District 9
The Castle
Sunshine
Silly Will Farrell/Seth Rogen type comedies

and more!

Music:

Rancid
Floggin Molly
The Clash
Dropkick Murphys
Pearl Jam
Movie scores on youtube

and more!

Books:

Don't read much (though I'd like to) mostly nonfiction, historical stuff.

When it comes to why I like what I like, for movies I like stuff that is stirring, when an underdog overcomes great odds, those kind of themes and soundtrack is immensely important. It's the whole package, star wars/LOTR/jaws etc. wouldn't be half the movies they are without their epic soundtracks. I definitely lean towards aesthetics and emotion rather than plot (plot holes etc. don't frustrate me nearly as much as they do some people) or deeper meaning.

With music it's much the same I go for things that stirs up emotions and that sound good. I am less concerned about lyrics or symbolism/allegory etc.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
In movies/tv/stories, I'm attracted to comedy, hot women, mystery and suspense, random humor, satire, well-created characters.

I'm definitely a rhythm guy, so I notice the rhythm of music before anything else. But I also like good melodies, and I especially like many musical changes within a song, rather than the same constant structure throughout. Not that I can't enjoy the constants, but they're just not as compelling. Songs like "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" and "Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney are a couple of examples. I like lyrics that aren't too repetitive too. I go through phases though as to what music I find most compelling, sometimes it's completely different. Basically, I just like stuff that sounds cool.

wolfy

awsm
Movies:

I like action. Revenge themes, existential themes, vigilante themes and feel good family movies on Sunday.

Music:

I like rock, metal and blues. Bass heavy, blues rock for the most part. I also like the children's band The Wiggles.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Movies:
Star Trek
Old silent movies, especially the ones with Charlie Chaplin
The Secret of Roan Inish
A Time for Drunken Horses
Whale Rider
Winged Migration
Microcosmos
Black Orpheus
The Umbrellas of Cherbourgh
The Bicycle Thief

Music:
Loreena McKennitt
Celtic Woman
anything medieval
anything with flutes and oboes
classical guitars
operas by Puccini and Menotti
marimba bands
jazz
ragtime
Shoenberg and atonal 20th century music
Native American flutes

Books:
folk tales
novels, especially those by Isabel Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Gunter Grass...
I really love magic realism
nonfiction, especially biography and memoir
anything with lots of pictures and a lively "I can feel it right now" writing style
poetry (especially Edgar Allen Poe, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, etc.)

Art:
I like most art, from caveman art to current abstractions. I especially like impressionism and surrealism, especially the art of Monet, Manet, and Salvador Dali. I'm not as crazy about photo realism, though, because I don't really care for a painting to look like a photograph. I like to see the brush strokes and to know that the painting is not a representation of the world, but an interpretation.

Sunny Ghost

Seems like good soundtracks are a commonality. I'm definitely the same, and tend to always look up the music or download a soundtrack to a good movie. And I too feel that a movie just isn't the same without the soundtrack to back it up. I'm a fan of good epic movies like LOTR and will only watch the extended versions, though no one else I know can stand to watch it with me. I love, love, love Harry Potter. Matrix is another favorite, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Amelie, American Beauty, Fight Club and one of my favorite guilty pleasures is 10 Things I Hate About You. I'm with Quinlin, I enjoy movies that can make the hair on my arm stand or that choke me up a bit. Ha. I love great acting, and emotional depth, and some sort of meaning that I can feel resonate deep inside of me. Other great movie examples of what I mean are Adaptation and The Fountain. I always value great aesthetics in a film, also.

With music, my taste are a bit everywhere. However, I'd say I'm mostly a fan of indie rock, prog rock, freak folk and trip hop. Lately, I listen to a lot of Animal Collective, Telepopmusik, icelandic band mum, sigur ros, mogwai, akron/family, andrew bird, cat power, and newly discovered Sleigh Bells. I like music that either moves me or makes me move. I like music that is either beautiful and melodic or a bit radical, different and interesting.

I don't know literature enough to say what I like or don't like. I pretty much enjoy everything I read, and each new book in my hands is my new favorite. Ha! I suppose I enjoy books, fictional or nonfictional, as I feel it always has the ability of broadening my mind.

Oh, and I'm the same as you walking tourist, when it comes to art. I absolutely adore artwork where the brushstrokes are visible. Other things that captivate me are lines in drawings, shadows, textures or particular color choices. Subject matter itself isn't always of great importance in artwork, it's more in how the art was created. Although, I do appreciate surrealism and symbolic artwork, but less as a piece of art and more for the meaning behind.