• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are all of you SPs good with your hands and have mechanical skills?

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
:laugh: I'm pretty old school with my skills... home repair, bicycle repair... I took carpentry and metal working instead of home ec even... and I'm pretty good at the carpentry part, especially finishing and stripping wood (bwa ha ha ha... I'm good at stripping! :devil:)
Okay, that's just hawt. :D I'd probably enjoy seeing you take your clothes off, too. :happy2: :rofl1:

On the contrary, I KNOW how you guys are, so the warning was necessary. :devil:
But if you REALLY knew us, you'd understand that all warnings are useless. :devil: :rofl1:

What Willfrey said was the other point I missed. You are at least as good as your tools. Screwdrivers, wrenches and a basic rachet/socket set should be the basics to start most things. Although even the "basics" can be expensive. :dry:

Find someone who you know who has tools you can borrow or come over and use before you invest.

I find I'm the opposite of you. I dislike technology. Phones and computers and...ugh. I lose patience quickly if I can't "see" what's going on but that doesn't mean I can't understand them with practice, you know? Some things take longer than others to catch up on. Doesn't mean you can't do it.
That last paragraph is the exact way I feel about mechanical things. The only reason I'm not like that with phones/computers is familiarity, and even then if I'm unfamiliar with something and it's not obvious how to work it I get impatient very quickly. :steam:

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
My old man is an XSFP and not especially into mechanics etc. He could hold his own with basic DIY things but not mcuh more.

He is really into sport though.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My ESFP brother is both a skilled carpenter and craftsman.

Many pieces of our house´s furniture are made by him. His handcraft work is also very popular.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seriously, I haven't seen a single mechanically incompetent SP reply (unless they just don't want to cop out to it).

I don't see why MBTI nazis (who I call "briggots") always give SPs the intellectual shaft and assume they're stupid.

It's equally impressive to be able to be independent and capable with your hands as it is to ruminate on physics and Socrates in an ivory tower...

Not that they're mutually exclusive. I'd like to step out of that ivory tower, but I can't figure out the damn LOCK. :steam:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see why MBTI nazis (who I call "briggots") always give SPs the intellectual shaft and assume they're stupid.

I'd reckon to say that most SP's don't care to prove ourselves to anyone but ourselves.

This is why others may not know how mind-blowingly brilliant we are. :D

KDude

Also, it's not fun if people start relying on you too much for these things.. Great. More work. Best to keep your brilliance under wraps. :D

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
I can totally rock a wrench set :D I've been taking things apart and getting them put back together (most of the time) since I was a little kid. I've been the guy people call to get a difficult problem fixed for as long as I can remember. It's nothing special to be honest, anyone can do it if they pay attention to how the pieces right in front of them fit together. With simpler stuff I usually just have to convince them them to give it a try. Seems like most people are too afraid to get their hands dirty with some trial and error... if they gave it a shot they would realize it's not as complicated as it looks at first!

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Seriously, I haven't seen a single mechanically incompetent SP reply (unless they just don't want to cop out to it).

It's equally impressive to be able to be independent and capable with your hands as it is to ruminate on physics and Socrates in an ivory tower...

Not that they're mutually exclusive. I'd like to step out of that ivory tower, but I can't figure out the damn LOCK. :steam:
Several of us are locksmiths, I'm sure. :newwink:

I'd reckon to say that most SP's don't care to prove ourselves to anyone but ourselves.

Yeah, it doesn't even faze me when somebody calls me stupid. I am what I am, Sam I am.

It DOES annoy me when somebody criticizes what I do or my work, though. :steam:

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'd like to step out of that ivory tower, but I can't figure out the damn LOCK. :steam:

You just approach it with the attitude of "I'm not dumb, so I can do this."
Then it's just step by step. If this, then this. If this, then this. If not, go back one step on the decision branch. Patience, interest, experimentation. And don't begin with unwarranted assumptions or your branch won't bear fruit.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Several of us are locksmiths, I'm sure. :newwink:

Yeah, it doesn't even faze me when somebody calls me stupid. I am what I am, Sam I am.

It DOES annoy me when somebody criticizes what I do or my work, though. :steam:

Damn you, you Cat in the Hat. Now I'm craving green eggs and ham.

*Stomps over ferociously to the SP Comfort Food thread*

Sunny Ghost

ahem... don't mean to call anyone out... but i think our esfp counterparts are a little different in that arena. but for most SP's... ISFP, ISTP, ESTP... this is typically the case. we don't like to stand out, don't need to stand out, and don't need to prove ourselves to anyone. well said, mdp2525.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't ESTPs love the spotlight and recognition?

Sunny Ghost

possibly... i can't say i know of any. i was really making assumptions... which i just shouldn't ever do. better just say... it's the isfp's and istp's that have no desire to prove anything to anyone else. but i suppose that could go with any introvert then?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Except INTJs.

EDIT: On further reflection, maybe ESTPs aren't that fond of the spotlight. The ones I know (and several of my closest friends are ESTP) don't exactly hate it, but they don't actively seek it out either. They're just chill.

KDude

I get annoyed if I see someone getting too much undeserved credit at something they haven't shown to be all that good at. The ability to sell makes it so easy for some people to not appear dull. Presentation is cool and all if they actually are skilled.. But when they're not, I'm a little disgusted. So every once in awhile I pop out around these people. It's just rare cases when I can just show what I can do though.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
hahaha, such an sp response.
:newwink: I'm honestly like a really clever animal. I readily admit that because I don't care to be seen as some intellectual snot. I got a huge vocabulary from my NT dad but had to tone it down because people started seeing me as such a geek or just a really wordy bastard.

I was pretty good at philosophy up to a point. After that all I cared about was booze and p*ssy. :rofl1:

You just approach it with the attitude of "I'm not dumb, so I can do this."
Then it's just step by step. If this, then this. If this, then this. If not, go back one step on the decision branch. Patience, interest, experimentation. And don't begin with unwarranted assumptions or your branch won't bear fruit.
hahaha. Such a Rational (NT) response. (I don't know what you are.)

Damn you, you Cat in the Hat. Now I'm craving green eggs and ham.

*Stomps over ferociously to the SP Comfort Food thread*
:doh: Don't you know if it's green, it's probably way past time to throw it out? :doh: Don't ever get diet recommendations from a druggie again.

ahem... don't mean to call anyone out... but i think our esfp counterparts are a little different in that arena. but for most SP's... ISFP, ISTP, ESTP... this is typically the case. we don't like to stand out, don't need to stand out, and don't need to prove ourselves to anyone. well said, mdp2525.
No, no, not at all. I have to stand out or I'll feel like I'm stuck in a closet with no air, or a mindless drone with a number stamped on my forehead. I definitely need to stand out, or at least be felt as a strong presence. I think that's true to some degree of all SPs.

I'm constantly on the watch for people noticing me, and sometimes I'm a bit quick to imagine that they are when they aren't. :doh: :laugh:

Don't ESTPs love the spotlight and recognition?
Yep. :D Not that I like to hog it, but I definitely love getting my adequate air-time. Sometimes I do end up grabbing more attention than others, though. When I did a presentation with our group at school on Seattle tattoo culture, I ended up talking or showing vids for probably half or more of the 40 minutes we were up there. :rofl1:

Except INTJs.
Eh? Why INTJs? :huh:

EDIT: On further reflection, maybe ESTPs aren't that fond of the spotlight. The ones I know (and several of my closest friends are ESTP) don't exactly hate it, but they don't actively seek it out either. They're just chill.
Oh, I always find a way to be noticed, automatically. I wouldn't say it's always conscious or even unintentional, but I usually end up doing something that attracts attention in some way, especially with how crazy and unconventional I am. :yay:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Woah... you live in Seattle dude?

EDIT: Yeah, should have seen your listed location earlier... Man I love that city! Lived there for about 3 years.

Oh, and INTJs are power-hungry little bastards.

KDude

No, no, not at all. I have to stand out or I'll feel like I'm stuck in a closet with no air, or a mindless drone with a number stamped on my forehead. I definitely need to stand out, or at least be felt as a strong presence. I think that's true to some degree of all SPs.

I think it's true too.. But it's like I just want to limit presence to action/skills/etc.. I can't sustain presence in terms of words. There were times, especially when younger, when I've jumped on top of tables and just got in the faces of everyone around me . But I feel like.. beside myself when doing it...and guilty (for some good reasons, but whatever). Definitely doesn't come natural to me.