User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

What's weird is that I'm quite coordinated and athletic. I surf, snowboard, skydive, all that stuff.

But how can I learn to do stuff like repair bikes, cars, etc. Any ideas?

My cooking skills are even worse. In fact, I imagine that my "macaroni and cheese sludge crunch" (mac and cheese is NOT supposed to crunch...) would make an inexpensive substitute for a lethal injection for the judicial system...
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I learned to repair my bicycle by looking at it... what made sense?

I cook most awesomely though... but that's because food is awesome and I'm deeply in love with it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I love your username. Just needed to say that. Thank you, Goodbye.

edit: haha. yours too, Whatevs.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I put my new office chair together today ALL BY MYSELF.

In general, I suck at mechanical stuff, though.

I am good at using my hands for...some stuff, though.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post

I say start with small stuff. Changing tires, oil and brakes. Those are easy and simple. There is a ton of great DIY online resources and tutorials that can teach you what you need and how it's done.

I forget who said it - garage sales are a good place to buy broken stuff. See if you can fix it or get it running. And if you don't hey - it was junk anyway.

If you know of someone who is mechanically inclined or knowledgeable tell them of your curiosity. They will usually offer to have you come over and watch or join them on their next project. Be nice and bring beer.

If you're a female I doubt they are going to say no to you anyway.
    ~Live and learn from fools and from sages~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    IsTP

What's weird is that I'm quite coordinated and athletic. I surf, snowboard, skydive, all that stuff.

My cooking skills are even worse. In fact, I imagine that my "macaroni and cheese sludge crunch" (mac and cheese is NOT supposed to crunch...) would make an inexpensive substitute for a lethal injection for the judicial system...
    There is a fine line between Snowbaording and fixing a car, I'd say... All that (surfing, etc) is thrilling, and fixing things and working with your hands is not thrilling, just satisfying and I'm sure not everybody would view it as such, maybe more of a chore.

But first thing is first. In order to fix things you need the tools for the job, what do you have in the way of tools?
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    There is a fine line between Snowbaording and fixing a car, I'd say... All that (surfing, etc) is thrilling, and fixing things and working with your hands is not thrilling, just satisfying and I'm sure not everybody would view it as such, maybe more of a chore.

But first thing is first. In order to fix things you need the tools for the job, what do you have in the way of tools?
    Let's seeee... board wax. Political bumper stickers. And a flashlight.

LOL when I say I know nothing and do nothing about mechanical/diy stuff, I mean it.

My father's toolbox: The Yellow Pages.

It's not so much that there's anything specific I need to fix, I'm just wondering if there's a way I can improve my "common sense"/spatial skills in general. Does it have anything to do with the fact I'm left-handed?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

You just learn how something works and work from there.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'm completely USELESS with my hands. I don't know any of the different components and parts/functions/arrangements of car engines. I've never built a model airplane. I even suck on those IQ test things where you have to fill in the pattern diagrams. :steam:

It's not necessarily just because I'm female. My ISTP chick friend can fly a plane. My INFP male friend, however, is worse than I am. He barely knows what to do with a set of Legos. Have him screw a lightbulb, and he just sits there gawking at the lightbulb like he wants to cry. My INFP father is the same way.
    I dunno about that... I'm pretty certain I'm ENFP and I adored Legos when I was a kid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't mean "good with your hands" in THAT way... keep that mind of yours in PG for now.

Anyway, this is the only reason I know I'm an ENTP and not ESTP. (Of course, I know Ns that kick ass at building/fixing things, and Ss that suck ass at it. But let's generalize for the sake of simplicity.)

I'm completely USELESS with my hands. I don't know any of the different components and parts/functions/arrangements of car engines. I've never built a model airplane. I even suck on those IQ test things where you have to fill in the pattern diagrams. :steam:

It's not necessarily just because I'm female. My ISTP chick friend can fly a plane. My INFP male friend, however, is worse than I am. He barely knows what to do with a set of Legos. Have him screw a lightbulb, and he just sits there gawking at the lightbulb like he wants to cry. My INFP father is the same way.

I didn't grow up with anyone who was good at that kind of thing. Were you SPs taught about mechanical things, or were you just BORN knowing how to change a tire?
    Yes...I am generally good at fixing things w/ my hands so long as you give me some time alone to think and tinker around with it. Also, changing a tire isn't hard lol...