• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Young INTP dealing with middle-aged ISTP

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He's a bit bossy but he's pretty cool. It's just difficult to connect with him. He has great Ni. But overall difference between us is he's more(TJ'ish) and I'm more (FP'ish).

Any tips from SP's?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my uncle is an older ISTP... he's pretty impressively laid back and falls into the stereotype of being as happy as can be if you skip the conversation and pop the hood of your car open and ask for something to be fixed :laugh:

what are you having problems with him with? :huh:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you sure it's not an ISTJ you're dealing with?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^

No, I'm pretty sure. He even fits the bad boy/juvenile motorcycle stereotype. + I'm pretty sure he's got SeNi there. Se(stories) + Ni(elaborate prediction).

Yeah, he's not ISTJ bossy, but just more than compared to me.

The problem is that I can't relate well to him. We're just:

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

I've had the same problem with an ESTJ.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was going to say it's because you're both introverts :thelook:

Sunny Ghost

I actually live in a house with an ISTP, an ISTJ, an INTP and the ISTP guys' girlfriend, who is an ESFP. (Oh yeah, she's the loud one of the house.)

I've found the ISTP roommate to be the hardest to connect with. I'm not sure why. He's friendly, he's nice... he makes cute little jokes... but for some reason we just don't connect. I connect far better with the ISTJ, the INTP and the ESFP roommate, than I do with him.

Bossy, eh? Hmm... that does sound more J, but maybe he's just going through a rough patch of his own.

Is this someone you're dating?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was going to say it's because you're both introverts :thelook:

Dude! Introverts =/= silent guy. silent guy = guy with problems.

We're both actually pretty talkative...but to other people.

I actually live in a house with an ISTP, an ISTJ, an INTP and the ISTP guys' girlfriend, who is an ESFP. (Oh yeah, she's the loud one of the house.)

I've found the ISTP roommate to be the hardest to connect with. I'm not sure why. He's friendly, he's nice... he makes cute little jokes... but for some reason we just don't connect. I connect far better with the ISTJ, the INTP and the ESFP roommate, than I do with him.

Cool, what do you talk about with the INTP?

Bossy, eh? Hmm... that does sound more J, but maybe he's just going through a rough patch of his own.

No, I'm staying at his house so he feels responsible and all that. Plus, he's 40 something, and I'm only 18.

Lol. Wait, we're talking about a young dude and a middle age (who's also a dude!!) dating? Hmm..well who knows, highly unlikely but could be a logical conclusion.

Yeah, just messing with you. No, He's old enough to be my dad.

Do you work with him?

Nay, I'm just staying at his house for a while.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My brother is an ISTP and for as much as we are similar, we never really talk. Or connect. We might think of something that interests the other [he knows I love science and tech, I know he loves music and cars/motorcycles] and let each other know but beyond that we're largely indifferent to each other's existence 99.9% percent of the time, even though we like each other a lot and have no problems.

With ITP/ITP pairings, if you don't have common interests, neither will see the point in interacting with one another and it simply becomes a peaceful cohabitation.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My brother is an ISTP and for as much as we are similar, we never really talk. Or connect. We might think of something that interests the other [he knows I love science and tech, I know he loves music and cars/motorcycles] and let each other know but beyond that we're largely indifferent to each other's existence 99.9% percent of the time, even though we like each other a lot and have no problems.

With ITP/ITP pairings, if you don't have common interests, neither will see the point in interacting with one another and it simply becomes a peaceful cohabitation.

You don't feel "Fe obligated" to have a connection with him? If you know what I mean.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was going to say that my dad is an INTP and his brother is the ISTP and they get along quite fine... they hang out together all of the time... they just don't tend to talk much while doing so :doh:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1:

No, neither of us do.

I'm starting to think I'm an eff. :shocking:
I was going to say that my dad is an INTP and his brother is the ISTP and they get along quite fine... they hang out together all of the time... they just don't tend to talk much while doing so :doh:

How fun...

-------

And thanks for the umm..."suggestions".

I guess I'll just go robot-robot.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm starting to think I'm an eff. :shocking:

I guess I'll just go robot-robot.

No! You're probably just a little more balanced than I am, doesn't mean you're an F. I suppose you could try. Ultimately he's going to have to be open to it. Although I wouldn't know how. I find it hard to connect to people in general.

But don't be surprised if he finds your efforts to connect or forge some kind of a friendship to be a little surprising and bizarre. Your best avenue towards this will be through shared activities. Find out what you both like and talk about it/do them together.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No! You're probably just a little more balanced than I am, doesn't mean you're an F. I suppose you could try. Ultimately he's going to have to be open to it. Although I wouldn't know how. I find it hard to connect to people in general.

But don't be surprised if he finds your efforts to connect or forge some kind of a friendship to be a little surprising and bizarre. Your best avenue towards this will be through shared activities. Find out what you both like and talk about it/do them together.

Yeah, I don't think he enjoys discussing existentialism. I don't think I like basketball much.

But I'll find something...thanks.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

These 2 describe me pretty good. I can get along with pretty much anyone. I connect with almost no one though.

Due to my "living in the moment" I am really hard to connect with past the current moment. I have no clue why.

Sunny Ghost

Dude! Introverts =/= silent guy. silent guy = guy with problems.

We're both actually pretty talkative...but to other people.

Cool, what do you talk about with the INTP?

No, I'm staying at his house so he feels responsible and all that. Plus, he's 40 something, and I'm only 18.

Lol. Wait, we're talking about a young dude and a middle age (who's also a dude!!) dating? Hmm..well who knows, highly unlikely but could be a logical conclusion.

Yeah, just messing with you. No, He's old enough to be my dad.

Nay, I'm just staying at his house for a while.

Woops!! My bad, dude. Haha. :doh:

I've known a couple of INTP's. We don't talk about ideas and the like, however we make a lot of jokes together and in general just have fun in one another's company. We sit around and watch tv, lazily together or go for coffee and enjoy people watching. He's quite adventurous too, and since I'm a female and an ISFP, I think he likes to confide in me to talk out his emotions or experiences with other females.

I would have thought that ISTJ would be the hardest to get along with... but me and him have been friends for years. I suppose the SJ combo makes him feel obligated, that as a duty he should give in to being emotionally on my level when necessary and he's just in general a funny guy. And plus, I was there for him during his intense breakup with a girl he dated for four years.

These 2 describe me pretty good. I can get along with pretty much anyone. I connect with almost no one though.

Due to my "living in the moment" I am really hard to connect with past the current moment. I have no clue why.
Ah ha... so this is a normal ISTP phenomena, eh.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

+1

It's rare for me to find someone I really connect with. Forced "connecting" isn't really my cup of tea, but peaceful coexistance I can do, perhaps even with some small talk if I'm feeling generous ;).