• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISFP & INFP relationship

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
My husband's an ISFP and I'm an INFP. Yeah, we are a lot alike, but definitely some areas we are very different. I'm wondering if any others have had experience with this relationship combo- ISFP's don't *seem* to have a very large representation here...

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
YES!!!! and as long as the values are similar.. I do believe it is a match made in heaven. At least from my experience.

My ISFP partners(2) seemed to understand me in ways better than anyone. Their quirky weirdness and hot passion mixed with their soft and sensitive emotions made for some truly unique people.

The real issue was always that, being so much like myself in so many ways.. Things were too easy to predict and ultimately manipulate.
Complacency was also an issue.. In that you find so much joy in being together that you begin to neglect everything else.

Sunny Ghost

My husband's an ISFP and I'm an INFP. Yeah, we are a lot alike, but definitely some areas we are very different. I'm wondering if any others have had experience with this relationship combo- ISFP's don't *seem* to have a very large representation here...
Oh man. My exboyfriend, the only love of my life (thus far, hopefully), of four years is an INFP, and I'm an ISFP. :cry: I could tell he was often very frustrated with me. I would tune out if he went on long winded conversations on thing's he's talked about many times before, then randomly and unknowingly cut him off and start talking about something completely different. He tended to be a bit more of a hermit, and though i value quiet and solitude, i also value adventure and want to go out into the world to explore. So, I often felt as though I was left to venture alone. But, the fact that we both valued solitude and independence, we were able to give one another plenty of space without feeling crowded. So there was a nice understanding in that department. We could each do our own thing. Both of us being introverted feelers, we could sympathize and comfort one another on a level unlike any other. So there was definitely a lot of emotional attachment to one another. We often felt as though we inspired each other. Me being a more quiet type and more insecure about opening up, he was able to coax me into sharing because he made me feel comfortable and unjudged. And when I went off into my playland of goofing off and being weird, he was able to keep up since he was empathetic and could tap into that energy in me, being just as silly and goofy. I'd say, I would definitely like to find another INFP love in the future. I've been with an ESFP and an ESFJ. Though they were fun, they often lacked the depth I felt inside or the empathy I sometimes felt I needed.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sounds nice. If only I could meet a nice one! *scans*

D

Dali

I can see how this would feel like such a deep, comfortable match but, ultimately, I need someone a little more removed from who I am. I don't want to feel like I'm dating my twin..

That said, we get along really well as friends. My closest friend and (she says) platonic soulmate is this beautiful (on the inside and the outside) INFP girl. I can read her like a book. We have an incredible dynamic and get along great as friends but I know I would (eventually) get antsy were we in an LTR.

My current s/o constantly keeps me guessing. It can be frustrating at times but, ultimately, the aura of mystery is intoxicating.

p.s. Usual disclaimer on everyone being an individual and congrats to the successful ISFP/INFP pairings.

Sunny Ghost

p.s. Usual disclaimer on everyone being an individual and congrats to the successful ISFP/INFP pairings.

well... apparently, we couldn't make it work. so perhaps you are right. or it just depends on the particular isfp/infp relationship. good for some, bad for others.

Sounds nice. If only I could meet a nice one! *scans*
wha??? :shock: us isfp's are nice!! ...unless you prove to us either untrustworthy or worthy of a duel. there are soooo sooo few people on my "hate" list. you've got to really cross your boundaries with me or my friends to make it to that list. i, in particular, am typically so welcoming to people. too welcoming. and even if i don't like you right off the bat, i typically allow redemption.

Sunny Ghost

hrmm... or perhaps you've misunderstood the isfp's. i know i've been known to come off as a bitch. but it's only because i'm shy and quiet with people i don't know too well. i take a lot of warming up before becoming comfortable with people. and i suppose because i may seem cold (quiet and shy) with one person, yet completely loud and full of energy while around another... some may perceive me as just being a bitch and not liking them. when in reality... it's not the case at all! and trying to play off my shyness with a cool demeanor, i suppose doesn't help the case.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I can see how this would feel like such a deep, comfortable match but, ultimately, I need someone a little more removed from who I am. I don't want to feel like I'm dating my twin..

That said, we get along really well as friends. My closest friend and (she says) platonic soulmate is this beautiful (on the inside and the outside) INFP girl. I can read her like a book. We have an incredible dynamic and get along great as friends but I know I would (eventually) get antsy were we in an LTR.

My current s/o constantly keeps me guessing. It can be frustrating at times but, ultimately, the aura of mystery is intoxicating.

This(bold) is why I am not with my ISFPs

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The last ISFP I dated cheated on me. I'd date another though, as long as she can get through my new set of filters I've developed, like anyone else. It can be a rather comforting relationship in a lot of ways, but the rest I could say would likely just make them all mad.

Talisyn

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9-1
Wow, all some very interesting input. Husband and I got together long before I knew anything about MBTI, so we didn't know we were INFP and ISFP, only that we had a lot in common, common principles, & really wacky side. We've been together 10 years and there is occasional unrest, but for the most part things are great, even if not insanely exciting. I'd say the hardest part for me to understand is education- school, writing etc is was very easy for me, but sooo difficult for him. That and the fact that at 29 he is still interested in so many things he'd like to do "when he grows up" but can't settle on anything!

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't have much recent experience, but from what I recall from dating an ISFP years ago:

• ISFPs tend to be more present in the now, so can be helpful for INFPs (who can be so future-focused they miss the good stuff while it is happening).
  • ISFPs are even better at rationalizing than we INFPs... can be scary to see in action.
  • ISFPs are attuned to emotional nuance... makes for a great Fi connection and a sense of being understood emotionally.
  • ISFPs tend to be less tuned into theorizing and abstract arguments, so one can feel a little lonely intellectually, depending on how much your interests overlap.

I ended having to be the "adult" with the ISFP I dated, so had to be the one to keep track of time, expenses, commitments and other practicalities; however, that could have been more about the individuals involved than type generalities.

If my monologues tended to wander off into the abstract and theoretical, he could go into great detail about options and details about his hands-on projects. We were perfectly capable of boring each others with our interests (and how we talked about them) if we weren't careful.

Still the physical and emotional connection was great. Also his hands-on "jump in and figure it out" approach was handy on occasion. I'd want to read up and prepare before I tried something, while he was more willing to jump in and figure it out himself.

I'd say it can make for a great relationship, but does mean someone has to be willing shoulder the practicalities despite it not being a natural strength.

I'd say the hardest part for me to understand is education- school, writing etc is was very easy for me, but sooo difficult for him. That and the fact that at 29 he is still interested in so many things he'd like to do "when he grows up" but can't settle on anything!

The ISFP I dated (and still know) definitely struggled with school. He had severe test anxiety, and basically gave up on education by the time he reached high school. He managed to drift through high school and graduate, but had definitely checked out long before. He also has had a hard time finding a job (or career) that was both fulfilling and paid enough to live (not that that's an uncommon problem).

Sunny Ghost

Don't have much recent experience, but from what I recall from dating an ISFP years ago:

• ISFPs tend to be more present in the now, so can be helpful for INFPs (who can be so future-focused they miss the good stuff while it is happening).
  • ISFPs are even better at rationalizing than we INFPs... can be scary to see in action.
  • ISFPs are attuned to emotional nuance... makes for a great Fi connection and a sense of being understood emotionally.
  • ISFPs tend to be less tuned into theorizing and abstract arguments, so one can feel a little lonely intellectually, depending on how much your interests overlap.

I ended having to be the "adult" with the ISFP I dated, so had to be the one to keep track of time, expenses, commitments and other practicalities; however, that could have been more about the individuals involved than type generalities.

If my monologues tended to wander off into the abstract and theoretical, he could go into great detail about options and details about his hands-on projects. We were perfectly capable of boring each others with our interests (and how we talked about them) if we weren't careful.

Still the physical and emotional connection was great. Also his hands-on "jump in and figure it out" approach was handy on occasion. I'd want to read up and prepare before I tried something, while he was more willing to jump in and figure it out himself.

I'd say it can make for a great relationship, but does mean someone has to be willing shoulder the practicalities despite it not being a natural strength.

The ISFP I dated (and still know) definitely struggled with school. He had severe test anxiety, and basically gave up on education by the time he reached high school. He managed to drift through high school and graduate, but had definitely checked out long before. He also has had a hard time finding a job (or career) that was both fulfilling and paid enough to live (not that that's an uncommon problem).

:cry:

If I may say one thing on part of the ISFP... it's not that we are incapable of theorizing and abstract thinking, but rather when we're thinking about it... at least in my case, I go off into my own mind and toy with the ideas. I forget that I'm even in conversation and appear to float off into space with no response back to the person I'm "conversing" with. I DO THIS SOOOO OFTEN!

I have a similar problem to your ISFP boyfriend, Talisyn. In my case, which I feel may be similar to other ISFP's, the problem is that I want to do something that is fulfilling in the sense that I would like to do something that is practical as well as satisfying my internal set of values. I don't want the executive job or waiting tables. I want something bigger! I want to do something where I'm helping, be it people, animals or the environment. To do anything outside of that seems pointless and a dead end. However, to achieve some of these jobs requires great academic achievement. And it's not that we're completely incapable, but rather find this difficult because we also prefer to live in the moment. It's a, "but if I go sit in class versus go to this music festival, can I truly say that I've lived?" We always prefer to satisfy our current needs versus future needs, because we want to feel like we're living and getting the most out of life. And if I'm feeling blue or a little depressed, as opposed to studying, I'll go to the bar or go for a car ride, or whatever it is I feel will make me feel better in that moment. However, I felt like my INFP boyfriend of the past helped keep me more grounded. I made far better grades and stayed much more focused while we were together. If you're able to keep these things in mind about him, you could help him achieve these things in life. Like I said, we're not incapable, but have feelings and senses we must satisfy before anything else can happen.