• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] istp - how to communicate with you?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
So true. Mine when from holding hands and being kind to death threats in 48hrs because he misunderstood something I said. Has never apologized:cry:, even though i tried to hold out an olive branch. WEIRD.

hmm death threats? damn...

jixmixfix

Permabanned
How do you best communicate with an istp?

- VOCALLY, our creator gave us vocal cords. Please, say it.

If you are stressed/upset what is the best way to comfort or reassure you?

- We need chill time. YES. away from people. If you smother us we might leave with out you. We know ourselves very well, and will ask for reassurance only to comfort you. It takes a long time for us to decide, but once its done, its done, by then we don't really require reassurance. We do over analyze important decision to the extent that we may appear wishy washy, were not, we look at all angles before making the correct choice. On non important things spontaneity will arise. If its no big deal, why overwork our brains?

so true wow...

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
I'd understand if someone asked how to communicate with an INTP (they can be impossible to understand) but ISTPs are rarely complicated people. That's one of the reasons why I like them.

A

A window to the soul

I'd understand if someone asked how to communicate with an INTP (they can be impossible to understand) but ISTPs are rarely complicated people. That's one of the reasons why I like them.

Wha? :azdaja:

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
I'm just having trouble with one for years, that's all :D

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Hummm...one of my best friends (female) is an ISTP and I communicate with her waaaay different than I do my other Fe friends. I usually have to figure out when she is upset, because she sure as hell isn't going to tell me unless it is an absolutely devastating situation. I usually ask her some questions and if she says she is fine, I leave it alone (even if I KNOW otherwise). If she wants to talk, I let her tell me whatever she wants to share. I offer my opinion or possible solution (if appropriate) but I don't get overly sappy or make her feel like I pity her. When she is done talking, I let it go. Basically, I don't push...ever.

My brother in law is also an ISTP...I really like him, but I swear I will never figure him out. He runs hot and cold. I say hello, if I get a grunt I leave him alone. If I get a "hey!!!" we chat, but he hardly ever talks about anything emotional (even the most basic statements, like "I'm in a bad mood") - as a matter of fact, he told my sister he has no emotions so there is nothing to discuss. Pretty much everyone steers clear of him when he is in a bad mood except for my sis (ESFJ) who will tell him in no uncertain terms that he is a jerk. But I wouldn't recommend that. ;)

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Also,

It's actually really easy. Get to the point of what you're trying to say.

Yes. :)

The other night I was talking to someone, and he was geeking out about his topic, talking nonstop. I had to pee, so I went to the bathroom, and he just kept on like I was still in the room. That was weird.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Also,

It's actually really easy. Get to the point of what you're trying to say.

Exactly. The surest way to annoy me is to speak indirectly or ramble on too long without any real end or point to your words. I'll either get bored and find something else to do than listen to you, or bluntly ask "what's the point?"

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm speaking for myself here with the thought of how I react to strangers and casual acquaintances. After all, everyone starts out that way.

Don't require too much conversation too soon. It's normal for us to not speak or to speak a few words upon the first few meetings. The people I like best are people who don't make me feel uncomfortable about this.

I second Steph about asking us for an opinion but don't be discouraged if we don't have one about what you're asking about. Pick something else. ;)

I would say just be natural and yourself. Realize we listen to conversations and pay attention to eye contact and expressions. You can communicate with us even when you don't speak to us.

Stressed? Listen and make us laugh or distract us. That's enough.

:yes:

Lanton88

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
ask a lot of leading questions..that usually gets me talking

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hi
Just after some advice from the istps.

How do you best communicate with an istp?

Light heartedly. I personally enjoy humor and absurd banter.
If it is serious, be deliberate, blunt and to the point. Pussyfooting is a pet peeve of mine.

If you are stressed/upset what is the best way to comfort or reassure you?
x:hug:

Personally, I prefer to fume or brood in solitude during these times.
If you insist on sticking around, handing me something to break eases the tension.

Back or belly rubs are also preferred (with permission of course).

R

RDF

Light heartedly. I personally enjoy humor and absurd banter.
If it is serious, be deliberate, blunt and to the point. Pussyfooting is a pet peeve of mine. [...]

Good point about the humor. My ISTP father likes to say that all he really wants out of life is a couple good belly laughs a day.

With Fe as his inferior function, he doesn't want people to come around with a lot of problems. Being an autonomous person, he prefers that others be autonomous as well. When the kids get needy, he just wants to escape. So I keep it light. I let him know what's going on in my life, but I make it ckear that I'm on top of it and I'm not looking for help from him. Then he gets curious and asks questions.

That is, he is intellecturally curious and wants to learn about other people's affairs, but he doesn't want to get dragged into other people's problems and have to provide solutions. So I make it clear that I'm on top of my own problems, and then he relaxes and becomes interested in my affairs just as an intellectual exercise.

Other than that, he likes to mentor. But he wants to mentor about the stuff that interests him. Stuff he's tinkering with, yardwork, etc. So I let him talk a bit about his own stuff.

And again the humor thing. I quip a lot as we talk, and he loves it when I use my Ne to spin the world into humorous combinations. I keep it light and give him those couple belly laughs a day that he likes, and we get along great.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I asked my ISTP fiance about this and he said that the best way to comfort him when he's upset about something is to help him find a practical solution to the problem at hand. (But he said feeding him might come in as a close second.)

LEGERdeMAIN

I asked my ISTP fiance about this and he said that the best way to comfort him when he's upset about something is to help him find a practical solution to the problem at hand. (But he said feeding him might come in as a close second.)

Yes, this sounds about right. I've also heard that ISTPs enjoy mountain biking, mountain dew and lady mountains when distressed. I don't know for sure, since I'm not an ISTP, but I also believe they enjoy sponge baths and sponge cake topped with roast beef and marshmallows.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, this sounds about right. I've also heard that ISTPs enjoy mountain biking, mountain dew and lady mountains when distressed. I don't know for sure, since I'm not an ISTP, but I also believe they enjoy sponge baths and sponge cake topped with roast beef and marshmallows.

I don't know where you heard this but it all sounds fucking amazing.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good point about the humor. My ISTP father likes to say that all he really wants out of life is a couple good belly laughs a day.

With Fe as his inferior function, he doesn't want people to come around with a lot of problems. Being an autonomous person, he prefers that others be autonomous as well. When the kids get needy, he just wants to escape. So I keep it light. I let him know what's going on in my life, but I make it ckear that I'm on top of it and I'm not looking for help from him. Then he gets curious and asks questions.

That is, he is intellecturally curious and wants to learn about other people's affairs, but he doesn't want to get dragged into other people's problems and have to provide solutions. So I make it clear that I'm on top of my own problems, and then he relaxes and becomes interested in my affairs just as an intellectual exercise.

Other than that, he likes to mentor. But he wants to mentor about the stuff that interests him. Stuff he's tinkering with, yardwork, etc. So I let him talk a bit about his own stuff.

And again the humor thing. I quip a lot as we talk, and he loves it when I use my Ne to spin the world into humorous combinations. I keep it light and give him those couple belly laughs a day that he likes, and we get along great.

This is a better description of me than I could make up. Thanks for that