• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Ti-Se & Se-Ti

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
How are the two function interplays different in everyday situations?

I.E:

In a conversation
In a ev. gameplay situation
In an analysis of a subjectivly seen, interesting subject

Se as we all know is different in an ESxP than in an ISxP. I wanna know how..

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
How are the two function interplays different in everyday situations?

I.E:

In a conversation
In a ev. gameplay situation
In an analysis of a subjectivly seen, interesting subject

Se as we all know is different in an ESxP than in an ISxP. I wanna know how..

I think that largely comes down to the dominance order. In an ISP, the judging functions is dominant. It uses Se to find information that interests, then orders Se to focus upon that subject.

An ISTP who plays football will be liable to focus on the technical paspects, using Se to determine which bits they need to work on, be it passing, shooting, penalties or whatever. Other aspects develop afterwards.

In an ESP, Se is in charge. It wil cast the net further, drawing in information from a wide variety of sources and then look through it using the judging function.

An ESTP who plays football will take a more general approach, practicing technical skills less but looking into other aspects more, considering group tactics, they way individual teams and players prefer to play, how to unsettle the opponent and get a psychological edge and so on.

ISPs and ESPs tend to approach things in a similar way, but with a difference in focus - and how much they focus.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm curious about the Ti-Se perspective, as sometimes it fits better than Ti-Ne.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With me Ti doesnt play awhole lot into conversation. Its into logical analysis so if everything seems logical it really doesnt do much.

Ti is not an in the moment thing, my Se is all about the moment and the moment consists of so much more then conversation that its hard to focus strictly on the conversation.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With me Ti doesnt play awhole lot into conversation. Its into logical analysis so if everything seems logical it really doesnt do much.

I wish I could say this was the case for me more often. The worst is when I come out of problem solving mode to have a conversation with someone. Or even worse... with a client. There's been numerous occasions where I've been troubleshooting a program on their computer and they crack a joke or something to start a conversation with me. But alas, I'm in Ti world... *Crickets* :mellow: I'll have co-workers that happened to walk by during this then tease me about it later... and I'd have no idea it happened at all. I have a reputation for being a space cadet. But yeah, like Poki, I have trouble focusing on a single conversation. Especially if I'm outside. And it's sunny. And there are small animals around. Or if I smell good food. Or if there's a puzzle that just happens to be lying around.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I wish I could say this was the case for me more often. The worst is when I come out of problem solving mode to have a conversation with someone. Or even worse... with a client. There's been numerous occasions where I've been troubleshooting a program on their computer and they crack a joke or something to start a conversation with me. But alas, I'm in Ti world... *Crickets* :mellow: I'll have co-workers that happened to walk by during this then tease me about it later... and I'd have no idea it happened at all. I have a reputation for being a space cadet. But yeah, like Poki, I have trouble focusing on a single conversation. Especially if I'm outside. And it's sunny. And there are small animals around. Or if I smell good food. Or if there's a puzzle that just happens to be lying around.

So does your Se distract you when your outside and having a conversation?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, very much so. I almost always go into Se mode when I'm outside.

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
I think that largely comes down to the dominance order. In an ISP, the judging functions is dominant. It uses Se to find information that interests, then orders Se to focus upon that subject.

An ISTP who plays football will be liable to focus on the technical paspects, using Se to determine which bits they need to work on, be it passing, shooting, penalties or whatever. Other aspects develop afterwards.

In an ESP, Se is in charge. It wil cast the net further, drawing in information from a wide variety of sources and then look through it using the judging function.

An ESTP who plays football will take a more general approach, practicing technical skills less but looking into other aspects more, considering group tactics, they way individual teams and players prefer to play, how to unsettle the opponent and get a psychological edge and so on.

ISPs and ESPs tend to approach things in a similar way, but with a difference in focus - and how much they focus.

Good reply, may I ask where you got this info from?

Oh, and as I understood it, I is more individual as in subjective while E is more focusing on the group as in objective(as objective one can be as an individual)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I had a door to door person come by the other day and there was so many other things going on with him besides hiw conversation that he would ask me a question and I was so clueless as I wasnt even paying attention to his actual words. They were trying to convince me of something that I had no interest in his attempts. I was more interested in the mannerism, his expressions as they told more about him then what he was saying. His words were like "I am doing this to blah, blah, blah help my college fund blah, blah, blah" The second I heard help for college I didnt need anymore convincing, but just more of a convincing of his truth and honesty and as he went on and on all I did was attempt to read him visually, inflection wise, etc. Everytime he would ask me a question I was like "what?" I so wanted to say "I wasnt listening to a word you said". He had to repeat his jokes which probably had to do with what he was picking up from me. Was more of an observation mode. Ti happened after the fact.

I have the same problem with food, puzzles, etc as well.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always seen personality as a type of voracious snake! :cheese:

I've always looked at it as my Se is like a mouth- always trying new things and taking in huge amounts of information from everything... the Ti is the poor stomach which is stuck to sort out everything that the Se tosses at it... Se doesn't always listen to Ti very well... I talk first and then think on a lot of occasions and I LOVE collecting information from everywhere, without real thought as to WHY I want the information :blush:

To complete the entire picture, my Fe is the camouflage that is used to make the personality appear less threatening and more pleasant and the Ni is the evil little reptilian brain that usually isn't functioning but occasionally kicks in to warn of danger and such :holy:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Certain activities can help me as I lose having such a strong focus on my thought process. Other times it causes problems when I do need to focus. Most of the time I can even escape to activities to get out of my thoughts. If I am heavy in Ti I will push myself even harder into Se and letting go of my thoughts.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Encouraged by a certain ESTP I'm joining the conversation here :)

and taking in huge amounts of information from everything... the Ti is the poor stomach which is stuck to sort out everything that the Se tosses at it... Se doesn't always listen to Ti very well... I talk first and then think on a lot of occasions and I LOVE collecting information from everywhere, without real thought as to WHY I want the information :blush:
Because collecting information is fun? Except for the Se playing the main role, this is an accurate description of how my mind work. My Ti gets flooded by lots of abstract ideas and connections. I'm more comfortable with linear functions and use them to solve practical questions while my students use practical problems to understand linear functions.

To complete the entire picture, my Fe is the camouflage that is used to make the personality appear less threatening and more pleasant and the Ni is the evil little reptilian brain that usually isn't functioning but occasionally kicks in to warn of danger and such :holy:

I'll also complete the picture and return to the original question of the thread... which means telling something about my use of Se. Sometimes I really conscientiously use it. Sometimes I realize there are things going on around me and I should pay attention in order to get some details to use later on in stories. Yes, that's right. Put Ne on a "I'll use this later in a story" loop, get Si in a "store information" mode, and I'm able to listen to Se for a little while.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Good reply, may I ask where you got this info from?

Oh, and as I understood it, I is more individual as in subjective while E is more focusing on the group as in objective(as objective one can be as an individual)

It came out of my head. A large part of what I understand about function theory was formed by mulling things over in my head, seeing how the various functions fit together and what happened you change the definitions of the functions.

There has been quite a bit of discusion on the forum on relative levels of objectivity and subjectivity of the functions. I've given it some consideration, but I've not found the idea useful in trying to understand the theory, so I've decided not to worry about it unless some issue comes up where the idea becomes useful.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a door to door person come by the other day and there was so many other things going on with him besides hiw conversation that he would ask me a question and I was so clueless as I wasnt even paying attention to his actual words. They were trying to convince me of something that I had no interest in his attempts. I was more interested in the mannerism, his expressions as they told more about him then what he was saying. His words were like "I am doing this to blah, blah, blah help my college fund blah, blah, blah" The second I heard help for college I didnt need anymore convincing, but just more of a convincing of his truth and honesty and as he went on and on all I did was attempt to read him visually, inflection wise, etc. Everytime he would ask me a question I was like "what?" I so wanted to say "I wasnt listening to a word you said". He had to repeat his jokes which probably had to do with what he was picking up from me. Was more of an observation mode. Ti happened after the fact.

I have the same problem with food, puzzles, etc as well.

haha... I can relate to this and what Steph said. I can be in an in depth conversation with someone and half hear everything they say. When they say something important it's like an internal alarm goes off that says, "pay attention to that!" and I'll say, "Wait. Say that again." and then I'm good and they continue on.

It's like you're blocking out pieces of information that most people would pick up as relevant (when it's really redundant) but you're concentrating on what information you decide is important or at the very least...more interesting to your entire understanding.

To the OP: I don't know how to describe the difference. I know my Ti can get the best of me at times of low confidence and I can over-analyze and see only trees - no forest. Sometimes I have to actively "let" Se take over in the form of - Enough thinking. Time to act - to give me the bigger picture but most of the time - to use a bad analogy - Ti is the faucet handle and hose and Se is the water running through the hose. The water can't move without Ti pressures manipulating it's course.