• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] stories from walking tourist's adventure

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Hi all,
Storytime!!!
When I rejoined the Walk for a Nuclear-Free Future, it was April 10th, and the group was in Utica (central New York).
The next morning, I started walking with the group. Our destination for the day was Herkimer. I found out, from someone who used to live in Herkimer, that the village was named for a Revolutionary War general, Nicholas Herkimer. Apparently, that was not his original name. His parents were from Germany and their name was Herchheimer. Bill (the person who used to live in Herkimer) and I had great fun saying "Herchheimer"! He said that, if the town had been named Herchheimer, he's not sure that he would have moved there. He was laughing too hard for me to understand the logic of his not wanting to live there if the town had that name. He might have moved to Little Falls instead but... well... he never saw any waterfalls, big or little, in Little Falls. He said that, for sure, he couldn't live in a town that was named for nonexistent waterfalls! I pointed out that was a little false (falls???) advertising.
But I digress.
Anyway, General Herkimer's claim to fame was that, during the Battle of Oriskany, he was wounded. That wound would eventually cause his demise. But he died days later. When he was still living, he was propped against a tree, where he continued to direct the battle.
So, that was General Herkimer's last stand. He actually died of complications surrounding a botched surgery at the hands of an inexperienced surgeon. The more experienced doctor was unavailable as he, too, had been wounded in battle.
Fortunately, there were no battles on the day of the walk. We walked along the Mohawk River. In the distance, we could see either tall hills or short mountains. If were were to head north, we could have walked in the direction of the Adirondacks. But, at this point, we were headed east on Route 5.
We arrived in Herkimer in mid-afternoon. Because we carried all manner of banners (a large one with "na mu myo ho renge kyo" on a purple background beneath a big red sun, various Native American flags, peace flags with signatures, etc.), we were quite a sight. People went out on their porches to watch us pass by. They took out their cameras and were happily clicking away as we marched down the street. I enjoyed window shopping and looking at architecture and looking at the early spring flowers.
Once we settled in to the church where we were to spend the night, I took my sketch book and pencils and went to draw a picture of an interesting door that I had seen.
We were treated to a delicious pot luck dinner by a great group of people from Herkimer and surrounding areas. I was thrilled because they read my mind and provided me with my favorite foods!
More stories later!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oooh... free favorite food! awesomeness! :holy:

and :rofl1: that you drew a door! I used to take pictures of them :)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
OK... story time!
So this is how to turn Walking Tourist into one of Pavlov's dogs...
Ice cream...
It all started the day that we walked to Fonda from Canajoharie. We walked past the Mohawk Community where we were to spend the next two nights. The Mohawk Community was seven miles west of Fonda although its mailing address is Fonda.
We were to shuttle back to Fonda in cars. But there were more people than there was car space. A few of us stayed in Fonda a little longer instead of hopping into the crowded cars. We started walking down the main street and soon found ourselves at a store called Stewart's. I was unfamiliar with that store because, apparently, it is not found in the western part of New York State. Everyone but me bought ice cream. I thought that I could wait until lunch to eat. But when I sat down with the ice cream eating group, my mouth began to water. I didn't say anything but I must have had an "I need ice cream now" look on my face. One person handed me a few dollars and told me to go get myself some ice cream.
I got a small cone with black cherry ice cream. I sat down and began to indulge. It was good. Really good. Really, really, really good!
Several days later, we were back to walking and we had a lunch break outside of another Stewart's. After lunch, a few of us went in to have ice cream. I had more black sweet cherry. It was soooooooooo good.
After that, every time I saw Stewart's, my mouth started to water in eager anticipation of black sweet cherry ice cream!!!:D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
... somehow thinking of icecream made MY mouth water :doh: