• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs, do you consider yourself...

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I am sure that most of you have seen this:
ISTP

Here are some interesting facts about ISTP personality types. If you'd like to find out if you're this type, you can take the genuine Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® online now by clicking on the image to the left. You can take different versions of the test, including the expanded Step II with the 20 subscales. Look at the sample reports before you decide.

Highly represented among male college scholarship athletes.

In national sample "Leisure Activities," overrepresented in "Playing with computers or video games"; underrepresented in "Listening to music" and "Writing."

Academic subjects preferred: math, practical skills.

Highest of all types in national sample liking work environments with "Independence & achievement"; include among top 3 desirable work characteristics "Clear structure" and "Variety of tasks."

Most important feature of an ideal job: "A stable and secure future."

In national sample, dissatisfied with "Promotions" in their work.

In national sample, among top 4 types valuing "Autonomy."

With INFJs, ranked first among all the types in using spiritual/philosophical coping resources.

In national sample, ranked lowest in reporting stress associated with "Balancing home and work."

In national sample, highest in coping with stress by "Getting upset or angry and not showing it."

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:sick: no. I have better things to do with my time and brain.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, technically, biology is called natural philosophy in certain schools.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm glad I'm not involved with those schools then. Science is pretty damn distant from philosophy.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes, I would say I am. Not in the sense that I am in philosophy (hated it), but in the sense that I take ethics very seriously, or the study of it anyway, very seriously.

I don't see "real" philosophy as sitting around talking about what a person a few hundred years ago thought. I want to talk about real problems, right now, and how to solve them. Yes, the concepts in philosophy are important... but you can pick most of them up within a year. Most of the study after that loses all practical meaning.

Stuff like fallacies, argument, good knowledge, moral calculation... that's what you worry about if you are serious about philosophy - if you want to live it rather than think it.

Which pretty much states why I think "?"'s post applies to me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Science is pretty damn distant from philosophy.

Actually, they are very much related because they revolve around logic (many philosophers were also mathematicians). Philosophy is more a science than a religion. It's a science that seeks to understand existence.

In religion, there is no attempt to understand, just to obey out of fear.

First comes religion, which is basically the rule book that no one questions. Then comes science, which seeks to understand the rules. And lastly is philosophy, where personal perceptions are transformed, potentially making both religion and science irrelevant. In a sense, philosophy is what lets people become God, because after philosophy, the cycle repeats itself, spawning new religions and then new understandings, and so forth...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, they are very much related because they revolve around logic (many philosophers were also mathematicians). Philosophy is more a science than a religion. It's a science that seeks to understand existence.
Yes, they both use logic. The difference is that science uses logic as a tool to accomplish something, and philosophy uses it to accomplish nothing.

Religion is not really relevant here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, they both use logic. The difference is that science uses logic as a tool to accomplish something, and philosophy uses it to accomplish nothing.

So basically it's a difference between applied science and theoretical science.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by theoretical science, to be honest. It sounds like a misnomer to me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by theoretical science, to be honest. It sounds like a misnomer to me.

Theoretical science as in quantum physics, for example. It's theoretical because it's not practical by itself. It's not always factual, it's just fanciful thinking with logic applied.

Theoretical science, to me, is being open to things that will probably be left unknown in our lifetime or may never be known at all, such as what is on the other side of black holes. There is no factual data, only fanciful logic to support it. A "What would happen if..." scenario that has no definite conclusion.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Uber- quit pestering the SPs- we were asked the question, not you! :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was just trying to clear things up...

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I feel like I am stating the obvious, but... who really gives a crap about philosophy.

If you think I'm wrong, consider the fact that the only real viable job for someone well versed in philosophy is to... teach more people philosophy.

There will always be some points where philosophy will move the car, but for the most part I see it as just spinning the wheels.

Then again, it really depends on what your definition of philosophy is.

arborvitae

MBTI Type
ISFP
Bleh, I hate philosophy. Though, my only really experience with it was in a class on Postmodernism. Complete gibberish.

cdal233

MBTI Type
INTP
Calling all SP's...

I hung out with basically only you guys all through high school... you took me under your wing, and I loved every minute of it.

You guys taught me how to have fun, and the main reason I have any social skills at all.

<< P.S. that pic is me under the influence of SP's. (Jumping off an 80 foot rock)

istpunk

MBTI Type
istp
Yes, definitely a philosopher. You can die at any moment, every second you are getting older.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've found that they can be philosophical, but you have to be really sneaky about getting it into their lives. The best way is to make it relevant to them. They don't see how it's relevant to their lives because it isn't immediately obvious how it can be applied. So you take them around in real life, and show them working examples of things we have that stemmed from philosophical understandings (but just explain it, don't let them know it's related to that at first or they'll shut down). Eventually they'll start to realize that these patterns of thought really are relevant to furthering our understanding of reality, and dispelling perceptual illusions. It can take quite a while, and you have to be patient with them, letting them do something else if they start to get bored.

What do you think?