• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs- shared activities with romantic interests

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sharing a common activity or hobby with others seems to be an important source of gratification for ISTPs. In an ideal life, what activities or hobbies would you like to be able to share with people you are in a relationship with?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
The answer you are about to receive in one form or another is "whatever I'm/they are into"

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
kendoiwan nailed it. :yes:

Finding myself sharing an activity with someone, I sense doesn't really enjoy an activity for the sake of the activity. Now that's a big drag.

I'd rather have one activity in common to share, the other person enjoys just as much as I do...vs.

Doing something one loves and sharing the experience with someone you love is a beautiful thing. Those moments are the ones that build a relationship for me more than any type of intimate communication ever could.

In my early twenties, what kicked off a relationship that grew to the point of becoming engaged? A big group of male and female friends, out water rafting for a day. It was the way she enjoyed and had a natural affinity for the activity itself.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Finding myself sharing an activity with someone, I sense doesn't really enjoy an activity for the sake of the activity. Now that's a big drag.

Exactly. A: it ruins the fun for you. Or vice-versa. B: you find yourself wondering "what's wrong with you that you don't enjoy this". Or "what's wrong with them for liking this." Not exactly a bonding experience.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
kendoiwan nailed it. :yes:

I'd rather have one activity in common to share, the other person enjoys just as much as I do...vs.

Doing something one loves and sharing the experience with someone you love is a beautiful thing. Those moments are the ones that build a relationship for me more than any type of intimate communication ever could.

In my early twenties, what kicked off a relationship that grew to the point of becoming engaged? A big group of male and female friends, out water rafting for a day. It was the way she enjoyed and had a natural affinity for the activity itself.

So just having one activity in common would be enough? What if you started out having a mutual enjoyment of a particular activity, but over time, for various reasons, one of you no longer enjoyed it? If you build a relationship on shared interests, and one or both of you change your interests over time and they no longer intersect, what then?

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
So just having one activity in common would be enough? What if you started out having a mutual enjoyment of a particular activity, but over time, for various reasons, one of you no longer enjoyed it? If you build a relationship on shared interests, and one or both of you change your interests over time and they no longer intersect, what then?

Fall back on sex, or try something neither of you have tried before until something clicks?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP

As a rule, we like what we like, and we always will like what we like. So in all likelihood it would be you doing the changing. I don't know what to tell you about that.
For example, one of my hobbies is chess, I'll never not play chess, so if you once upon a time played chess with me and for whatever reason stop enjoying chess, I wouldn't know what to tell you.
If your asking, "how would I take that?", it would depend on how important you sharing that particular activity is to me.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

When that happens I always try to figure out something to do...or something new to try. Like hey, would you like to go for a walk or bike ride in the park? Maybe go ride some horses? Play some pool? Pick out something we can cook together? Doesn't have to be the same activity all the time, just so long as there is one.

With my oldest ISTP friend, we lifted weights at lunch almost everyday for about three years. Played golf every other weekend. Eventually my job location changed, but we'd always encourage each other with getting back into weights or running...after months of individually loosing "sustained effort" over the years.

After five years we were both tired of golf. Got into dirt bikes and motorcross, would meet up to play pool on a weeknight about every other week. He and his wife moved to another city, and it's kind of funny I'm wanting to play golf again...and he's been thinking recently about getting back out there too.

Other activities we'd done over time: Water-skiing, tubing, swimming, biking, hiking, bowling, sports event, concert, building PC's, swing sets, remodling projects, helping each other move, car repairs, car shows, video games, drinking more than a few beers, double dating, playing guitar, talking about/listening to music, grilling out, chillin' at a bar, watching "Fight Club", getting pissed as hell at each other and arguing. :steam:

After my friend got married, he was always looking for activities to share with his wife. Bought them both bikes. Later a little golf. Bought her a dirt bike. Those interest didn't seem to sustain for very long? Like she'd come along with us a time or two, but some of the activities just didn't seem to be a good fit for what she liked to do? I thought it was awesome that she would try, and did amazingly well with a dirt bike. Just wasn't her thing.

So I think the variety of things she's willing to try, in addition to what they go do...keeps him happy.

Most of my other friends, there'd usually only be one or two activities shared in common max. Only the STP's whether E or I seemed more ready to go and do. Or maybe "click" enough to get the common activity/interest sequence started.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a rule, we like what we like, and we always will like what we like. So in all likelihood it would be you doing the changing. I don't know what to tell you about that.
For example, one of my hobbies is chess, I'll never not play chess, so if you once upon a time played chess with me and for whatever reason stop enjoying chess, I wouldn't know what to tell you.
If your asking, "how would I take that?", it would depend on how important you sharing that particular activity is to me.

Chess is something I've always enjoyed too. I don't get to play anymore in that I don't know people who play...and playing a computer just isn't the same level of satisfaction for me.

One of my ISTP friends had a chess set. Which I discovered upon an occassion we were just drinking and playing guitar. So he pulled the board out and we commenced to play.

Before the first piece was moved, I looked at him and said that I'd checkmate him in less than seven moves. He laughed at that concept.

Suddenly "I say well in less than five then..." Dudes like, "What?"

Check Mate! :D

My buddy was so quietly pissed as he instantly cleared the board, I knew that he'd never want to play me again. And we haven't since.

So yes I still like the game, but haven't played in years.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you so very much for your answers. They have been of immeasurable help, and made me realize that I need to be with an ISTP that I share common interests with.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's very important to have common activities, but there's sooo many fun things to do out there...if you have none obviously in common you can always try new things and see what you like.

With my bf I play volleyball and soccer and we like watching some of the same tv shows and movies. We both like hiking and camping and stuff like that. There's probably other things that we don't do often,too. Nothing particularly fancy though, by any means. Most of our time "together" is us each doing our own thing in the same room, typical of introverts.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Basically doing stuff you both enjoy, either together or separately, within the presence of each other.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's necessary for that person to adopt my interests (bonus points) as long as they are supportive of them. It's more important that the other person is open to try them. There's nothing worse than someone who rains on your enthusiasm over something you want to try or do by being scared or "I don't know about that" kind of mentality.

Personally, I like to see my SO's enraptured in their own passions. It makes me feel good to watch them enjoy themselves and get excited over what they like - even if it's something I am not that excited about.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Thank you so very much for your answers. They have been of immeasurable help, and made me realize that I need to be with an ISTP that I share common interests with.

I think you're placing way too much importance on the "do things together" thing. While doing things together is cool. If we don't do things together, it's also cool, as long as you don't got pulling the "why don't we ever do things together, I feel left out and neglected" routine, when I do my thing, I wouldn't mind if you never shared any of my interests with me.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Common interests could be as simple as watching an entertaining movie together. Surely you guys can overlap there. Or cooking together! I don't think it'll be that difficult to find a solution. And I thought INFJs were often into tests of physical endurance. The ones I know are into either rock climbing, boxing, or sailing and these are all ISTP-friendly pursuits.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think you're placing way too much importance on the "do things together" thing. While doing things together is cool. If we don't do things together, it's also cool, as long as you don't got pulling the "why don't we ever do things together, I feel left out and neglected" routine, when I do my thing, I wouldn't mind if you never shared any of my interests with me.

I have interests that I pursue by myself and so does he, which isn't a problem for me, but it's a problem for him these days. I think when men get older, their need for emotional closeness with their SO increases greatly, probably due to lower testosterone levels. Even strong T-types get this way later in life. It's weird.

Common interests could be as simple as watching an entertaining movie together. Surely you guys can overlap there. Or cooking together! I don't think it'll be that difficult to find a solution. And I thought INFJs were often into tests of physical endurance. The ones I know are into either rock climbing, boxing, or sailing and these are all ISTP-friendly pursuits.

Good point.... we do like watching movies together.
We used to go sailing years ago. That would be a good activity to start up again. Thanks. :)

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
i took girl to waterfall that i enjoy not too many people know about
she liked that

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have noticed that martial and combat sports are very appealing to ISTP males, but I don't know how many women are willing to have such shared activity with their ISTP's. And it's not even romantic, just sweaty and the danger of getting injuries is quite high.... :smile:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Someone already suggested cooking... I like cooking with a romantic interest.

And uh. I like *doing* things with him too. Going on a hike or trip or camping or even grocery shopping for that cooking we're planning later. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as we're doing it together and working as a team.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have noticed that martial and combat sports are very appealing to ISTP males, but I don't know how many women are willing to have such shared activity with their ISTP's. And it's not even romantic, just sweaty and the danger of getting injuries is quite high.... :smile:

An ISTP male wanted a taser... When the package arrived he got very excited and asked his wife to "test it" on him to make sure it works.

She zapped him in the nutz' :devil:

:sick:

Which made her very happy. She enjoyed participating in the shared activity very much. :smile: