• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Repairing Bent Intake Valve

Little_Sticks

Hi, I have a bent intake valve on a scooter that I have ordered a replacement for. But I realized that I can probably fix it. See I put the piston on 180 degrees in the wrong direction so the little groove in the piston for the intake valve was on the exhaust side...which means the intake valve hit the piston and bent upward.

I tried bending it back with a screwdriver, but couldn't get it to seat 100% naturally with out giving it a slight push. So I tried starting up the engine thinking the compression was good enough and that if it started the heat of the engine would then heat the valve and move and set it perfectly in place. But it wasn't enough compression to get it going - just a little sputter noise like it was almost going to start going.

So I was wondering, could I just blowtorch the cover of the valve and seat it in its intake hole? I think this will work, but I thought I would see if anyone knows why this might be a bad idea and thinks I should just wait for the new valve to come.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
i don't know too much about two strokes but I'd imagine it's going to run like junk unless that valve is lined up correctly. the valve is probably compromised structurally, even if you bend it back into place it'll be weak.

you already have the new valve in the mail. be patient.

how much is it off by (seat)? i wouldn't rely on heat to set it into the right position. if it's wrong, it's wrong.

how is the valve lifted? whatever that component is should also be inspected for damage. any damage to piston?

Little_Sticks

It's 4 stroke. Supposedly the end of the valve is flexible which is why I thought about doing this. The piston is fine and the seat is steel and fine. I guess if I do it right I'll just mess the valve up more. I don't strength would be too compromised though. I think I'm going to try it just to see what happens. I need to fix the hole in the muffler anyway.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
meh try it out it but i'd avoid running it with messed up valves. it's just a scooter though.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeh, there's no way in hell I'd try that with a dirt bike. ;)

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
it's one thing if the valve is just bent (like cocked at an angle) but it might deformed from the impact with the piston. i'd imagine these are all small parts without lots of bulk to them...

if it's deformed than it will never seat...

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Off topic, but I like the mask avatar Little Sticks. Tribal type mask have always facinated me, I don't have any but like to look at them and learn what they meant or were used for.

Music notes, now that's a different story. My whole living room has a music theme. Got Git-fiddle (acoustic guitar) hanging over the sofa. Got metal and wood art of other instruments...and a series of music notes wrapping the perimeter.

*** I was in a store a couple days ago, and thought about Bamboo.

Laundry detergent was the mission. There I was in the midst of all those bottles. Not wanting a girly or strong scent, or optical brighteners. Just frozen, staring at all those bottles weighing what a frickn' impossible mission I was on.

Lady from work surprised me by turning around and asking what I was looking for? :rofl1: *shrugs*

Little_Sticks

meh try it out it but i'd avoid running it with messed up valves. it's just a scooter though.

yeh, there's no way in hell I'd try that with a dirt bike. ;)

Heh, now I want to try running it. What's the worst that could happen? The valve breaks...oh wait, yeah that would mess up the cylinder, wouldn't it? Hmmm...I guess I'll wait then.

Yeah, I like this mask avatar. A mask seems appropriate and the other themes on it. Anything else feels like a lie.

Lol, which detergent did you pick? I have never figured out what any of them mean exactly. I just know not to buy bleach so I don't have to sort my clothes out into colors and whites and go for the cheapest one. I make it simple ;P because I hate laundry.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Detergent...gah! Went with el cheapo Surf "Sparkling Ocean." Arm & Hammer's Essentials "Mountain Rain" is what I normally choose, but they were out.

Ecos is probably my favorite. But it's difficult to find locally...

I don't know why I'm so freakn' anal about crap like that? Granted fuel injector cleaner? omg...that takes me twice as long.

I'll google, I'll read the damn bottles...I'll look for forum opinions. ok, maybe techtron this week?

Little_Sticks

Supposedly that sea foam stuff is rated the best for a fuel injector cleaner and fuel preserver. I just kind of accepted it as true since it's popular. Maybe it doesn't do much though...lol.

I got the scooter running. I had to hammer the valve back slightly to get it to fit perfectly, lol. It's ghetto, but it's awesome, it works perfectly and I took the scooter up to 30 (didn't have the lights on so I just drove it around the storage place I keep it at) and it was fine, so hopefully when I put it completely together it will be fine past that as well.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thnx for the tip..

Getting something going like that is a good feeling. Glad it worked out.