• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Ask an ISFP!

KDude

Personally, I'm just going to go with T for now. I think I type as ISFP sometimes because I "indulge" a bit in that side of myself. I don't think I go as far as ISFPs though.. (and I don't think they're inferior for being more F either btw. I'm a little envious. It seems to come easier for them.).

Secondly, a lot of my emotions are intense and negative to boot. I read this about ISTPs and it's more like me:

An ISTP who is over-stressed may exhibit rash emotional outbursts of anger, or on the other extreme may be overwhelmed by emotions and feelings which they feel compelled to share with people (often inappropriately). An ISTP who is down on themself will foray into the world of value judgments - a place which is not natural for the ISTP - and judge themself by their inability to perform some task. They will then approach the task in a grim emotional state, expecting the worst.

_

ISTps have difficulty in controlling their emotions. When they do loose control, they may become biting, rough and excited, raising their voice and gesticulating fervently.

_

But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode).

I'm beginning to think that even INTJs and ISTJs have better grasp of F than I do.

To try to stay relevant to the thread, do any ISFPs just... feel the same as those above descriptions sometimes? I wonder how much overlap there is with the two types. I can be a nice person, but I'd feel like a fraud if I don't own up to the angrier side. I'm no saint. I wish I was. Same goes with being overwhelmed by positive feelings. I might be a little too open and intense if it gets the best of me.

wolfy

awsm
Do you guys generally forgive others easily after a period of time?

Mostly I forgive easily over time. There are some situations I have held on to for a long time only to recognise my own part in it all. Smaller stuff doesn't seem to stay with me long, I seem to move on quick, quicker than others.

Personally, I'm just going to go with T for now. I think I type as ISFP sometimes because I "indulge" a bit in that side of myself. I don't think I go as far as ISFPs though.. (and I don't think they're inferior for being more F either btw. I'm a little envious. It seems to come easier for them.).

Secondly, a lot of my emotions are intense and negative to boot. I read this about ISTPs and it's more like me:

An ISTP who is over-stressed may exhibit rash emotional outbursts of anger, or on the other extreme may be overwhelmed by emotions and feelings which they feel compelled to share with people (often inappropriately). An ISTP who is down on themself will foray into the world of value judgments - a place which is not natural for the ISTP - and judge themself by their inability to perform some task. They will then approach the task in a grim emotional state, expecting the worst.

_

ISTps have difficulty in controlling their emotions. When they do loose control, they may become biting, rough and excited, raising their voice and gesticulating fervently.

_

But because they need such a lot of flexibility to be as spontaneous as they feel they must be, they tend to become as inflexible as the most rigid J when someone seems to be threatening their lifestyle (although they usually respond with a classic SP rage which is yet another vivid contrast to their "dormant," impassive, detached mode).

I'm beginning to think that even INTJs and ISTJs have better grasp of F than I do.

To try to stay relevant to the thread, do any ISFPs just... feel the same as those above descriptions sometimes? I wonder how much overlap there is with the two types. I can be a nice person, but I'd feel like a fraud if I don't own up to the angrier side. I'm no saint. I wish I was. Same goes with being overwhelmed by positive feelings. I might be a little too open and intense if it gets the best of me.

I can relate to those descriptions. When I do get angry I respond like this...

...although it doesn't happen often. Thankfully... forgiveness can take a long time.

Also, I'm more reserved than open with emotions.

KDude

That intense openness has come about in some dating situations. It doesn't seem to serve me well though. I'm a lot better off when they saw me as cool. The minute I actually admit my feelings it doesn't get me anywhere good :whistling:

Makes me wonder how many musicians, artists, etc are actually STPs and NTPs. Quite a lot of them are intense, brash, sometimes positive, sometimes full of bitterness, rage, or confusion on love or goodness. Same goes for some actors.. Angelina Jolie and James Dean are usually considered ISTP, but they have an intense emotional character. They're hardly Clint Eastwood or some shit. And the actual famous SFPs are seeming more like Paul McCartney or Lenny Kravitz. More light, cheerful. If MBTI is asking me to be more like that, then I'm not capable of it.

wolfy

awsm
I think there is just a lot of overlap. It is easy when it's clear cut, otherwise you are a mix. You know, I related to Clint Eastwood a lot in the documentary I saw on him. Wolverine is volatile like that as a character too, emotionally. In the movies at least, I haven't read the comics.

I like isxp at the moment. I find it freeing.

KDude

I'm curious to ask, if your F tendencies have a spiritual bent? Or were you always kind of Fi? Is this what makes you stay "ISXP"?

I did some things I'm proud of as a kid.. and I think I was always sensitive to others to who weren't getting treated well.. not to mention I was notorious for bringing home stray animals.. and whine if my parents didn't adopt them.. but I don't think I had a fleshed out value system until much later - I once stole from nuns (some cake at their bake sale). I mean, how low can you get? That isn't even the thick of it either. That all said, you could say I had one of those typical awakening experiences. I reformed myself. At first, it was Christian, and then as I got more curious, my spirituality took a more general direction, and I started appreciating a little of everything. My mom was already Buddhist, so that was an early stop, but I just started seeing the common thread in a lot of viewpoints. This is how I see my F side.. as something I learned and borrowed.

wolfy

awsm
I have always had a spiritual side, at least an interest in it all. There isn't much of a reason I stay isxp. I was thinking about F and sensitivity the other day. One of the reasons I decided on isfp initially was sensitivity. But lately I just wonder if I just get pissed off pretty easy, you know? What is sensitivity anyway. I guess the main reason is I can see all the rest of it clearly but the f and t messes with my head. It feels confining. Even when I had it as isfp I still felt in the middle. I just liked the look of it. I think I relate to the istp in Lenore Thompson's book more than isfp, though I can relate to both in a lot of descriptions and in her book.Think about characters, what makes Han Solo so istp? I mean really? What? Nothing much when you really get down to it. Why not isfp?

If the juice in mbti is in developing the second function it doesn't matter anyway.

KDude

Yeah.. same with Spike Spiegel. He's a do-gooder, right? But an irritable one, who would rather not bend over backwards at first. Which is no different than me really. I always have these moments where I come to F, after just grumbling about it. Han Solo the same.. he's pretty annoyed that he's even dragged into the story in the first place. Then at the end movie, he gets a medal for it. When I wax all philosophical about good and evil alone, I feel pretty F. Put me in real situations as they're happening though, and I may forget about some of it.. my instinct is different.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, Spike is like Han Solo, he isn't really for any cause but when push comes to shove his heart is in the right place. As an aside Kyuuei once said I gave a Cowboy Bebop vibe on here. What higher compliment is there than that? Another reason I chose isfp is 'cause I have an interest in design, but then again I came from the angle of the principles of design. So yeah...

Quite a few people said istp lately. I should start one of those what type threads with maybe a poll or something.

KDude

Then this is where you would be more Ti. I don't have principles of design. Hardly any system to speak of. I haven't drawn anything in awhile, but I kind of wing it. Guitar playing even more so. I always identified with some descriptions about John Coltrane - that he was searching in the middle of his compositions. My favorite guitar player is Tom Verlaine. He's the same way.. Hendrix the same. He never played anything the same way twice.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1GrP6thz-k].[/youtube]

wolfy

awsm
I like that kind of style, Stevie Ray Vaughn was like that. I just did a quick search and there was a huge list of isfp musicians and PJ Harvey as istp. She constructs her albums by the sound of it. I think that I'd go about it, learning the principles and kind of constructing it, that is what I do in life really.

To me things feel like learning the ropes then squeezing and pulling what you want out of it. Like you use the rules but make it your own. Is that Ti? Maybe.

KDude

I don't know. Maybe. Maybe Ti are like mobile principles, since they're tied with Se or Ne. If that makes sense.

Anyways, I can write like that too. I mean, I like some ground rules. Maybe the typical system in a pop song.. which is sort of intro-rhythm-chorus-rhythm-chorus-bridge-rhythm. Even Coltrane has his anchor points. Jimi does too of course. It's just more apparent how free they are simply because they lead more. PJ doesn't play many leads, so it isn't as easy to see. Neither do I, but I like flourishing around rhythms. Changing them up a lot. Fill ins, or changing octave.. more melodic playing. I get bored in too much of a straight system.

Sorry.. I don't know if I'm babbling now. You probably don't have to be a musician to understand what I mean.. I think.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, I guess there is just a lot of overlap between the two. I get what you mean about the music.

Something about what people are liked stressed is really interesting. I get really conflicted about what people want from me.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been asked already (I'll fully admit that this is just sloth on my part) but: What would you say is the difference between an ISFP or ISFJ? In other words, how much of a difference does the "P" and the "J" make?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFPs are you feelings hurt easily but you just don't show it?

I'm still trying to narrow down my ISXP son. I asked him does he get upset when yelled, fussed/cussed at and he said no, not really. Annoyed a little but not much reaction to it. If he merits it, then he will be annoyed at himself but that's about it.

I'm thinking an ISFP would be hurt but you may never know it. True?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been asked already (I'll fully admit that this is just sloth on my part) but: What would you say is the difference between an ISFP or ISFJ? In other words, how much of a difference does the "P" and the "J"?

INFJs "appear" more responsible. Are more likely to to be much more organized. High respect for authority. Are more likely to be "doormats". Tend to be better at direct logical debate and in my experience seem to be better able to access their Ti than ISFPs accessing their Te as a rule. Less laid back and and rarely spontanious execpt when they get very angry. More linear.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJs "appear" more responsible. Are more likely to to be much more organized. High respect for authority. Are more likely to be "doormats". Tend to be better at direct logical debate and in my experience seem to be better able to access their Ti than ISFPs accessing their Te as a rule. Less laid back and and rarely spontanious execpt when they get very angry. More linear.

Hey,

Thank you for the response. While I don't really doubt that I am an ISFJ, I was just curious as sometimes I'm left wondering how "J" I am sometimes. I am very pattern and routine oriented but I'm not NEARLY so organized or responsible as I think I ought to be or as people often portray ISFJs to be (Then again, I may just hold myself to ridiculously high standards. Very likely this).

Thank you again for your response! :)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I did the MBTI, Step II, which confirmed that I was an isfp. I was fairly sure that was my personality type before I took the test, although I still sometimes wonder if I might need a different set of letters.

how'd you find out you were an isfp?

wolfy

awsm

I'm still trying to narrow down my ISXP son. I asked him does he get upset when yelled, fussed/cussed at and he said no, not really. Annoyed a little but not much reaction to it. If he merits it, then he will be annoyed at himself but that's about it.

I get more annoyed than hurt too. I do dislike when relationships are out of whack though, it feels like something I have to fix.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
No, not for this isfp. If you hurt my feelings, you will know it right away. I can't hide anything. To use a cliche, I "wear my heart on my sleeve."
But when I did the MBTI Step II, my "expressive" score was very high. That is an "extraverted" trait. If you hurt the feelings of a more reserved isfp, you might not see as much of a response.

floral87

Hi everyone!

I am very new to this thread. This is my first post. I am not sure how to start a new thread. Anyway, my questions are addressed to ISFP *males* basically.

I would like to know how ISFP men approach love.

* Do ISFPs fall in love quickly?
* Do ISFps fantasize/daydream a lot about their love interest?
* Do ISFPs get over love quickly?
* Are ISFPs slow to fall in love?
* Are ISFPs are slow to get over love?
* Do ISFPs look for greener grasses elsewhere?
* Once committed, are ISFPs prone to cheat?

etc. Thank so much for your time. I am an ENFJ female, if that helps. :)