• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP Baby ~ Opinions please!

wolfy

awsm
I always had a problem with team sports too. I suppose a part of it was instruction, but it wasn't only that. I think I need to progress as an individual. I guess it is easy to focus on how I move and how I am moving with something. They say that you become one with what you hold, it becomes an extension of you. So another part was needing to focus on people and how I move. Maybe.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

(I don't mind non-sp's answering)

I would say I'm physically oriented. In childhood I pretty much ran wild through an acre of woods near our house. I was drawn to a lot of physical things, whether swimming, going on crazy adventures, climbing trees, etc. That was the SP nature. Then there was the ISTP nature (Ti dom specifically) which made me want to UNDERSTAND that physical world, which ultimately led me to become a scientist.

That is pretty much the nature of SP's: we are naturally drawn to those kinds of things. You won't need to encourage that kind of behavior in your kid, BUT you will need to provide good wholesome opportunities -- For example: my father's miniature fiberglass sailboat (which we broke in the middle of the cove where we lived), the woods next to the house, enlisting them in Boy Scouts (aka pyromaniacs anonymous) or Girl Scouts, or if they're Team Players (unlike me lol) - sports!

I always had a problem with team sports too. I suppose a part of it was instruction, but it wasn't only that. I think I need to progress as an individual. I guess it is easy to focus on how I move and how I am moving with something. They say that you become one with what you hold, it becomes an extension of you. So another part was needing to focus on people and how I move. Maybe.

Elaborating on what Wolfy and the others have said about team sports -- I too was never a Team Player and never really had the patience for "real" sports like soccer and baseball. Over the years I've been enrolled in several team sports and I've never stuck with it. Instead I found myself drawn to "individual" sports like mountain bike riding and extreme sports. YMMV

KDude

i didn't have a problem with team sports per se, but i was often in my own world playing them (and i do agree about learning on your own..). i never liked the die hard coaches who took it seriously either. i just tried to have fun. one of them made me cry once..i don't think this is an SP thing though, but an isfp thing. half of the time these guys put their kids as the starting pitcher or something, even though they weren't that good. so that was another reason to not participate as much.

my dad put me in a soccer league and basketball starting at 4 or something. i kept playing organized basketball until 12.. i got more into skateboarding around 9 or 10 (road bikes a lot too).. by my teens, skating was cooler, and my choice for organized sports was only within school. i decided to not to sign up. i thought all of the people playing were dorks, and the coaches even bigger dicks than the ones while growing up. i started playing the role of the delinquent slacker even though i was still athletic in my own way. kind of funny remembering all of that now. like i wouldn't even jog for gym class.. so the coach made me do extra laps. and i hated the stupid green gym shorts so i started sporting my own cool yellow "jams".. and i had to do more laps every day for that. on top of the fact that the coach tried to make me feel "gay" for wearing "flowers" on my shorts or something. :rolleyes:

not sure what my point is. i think it's good to try sports, but introverted SPs will do it in their own way, so long as they have the freedom for it.

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
Are you physically oriented? Do you have talent in that area? If so, what helped you hone it as a child?

Yes - Dad used to take me out to play a variety of different sports with me at a young age and I learnt to ride a bike and swim at an early age compared to most.

I used to play a lot of sport (competitive and non-competitive - mainly team sports - I started playing competitive sport at about 8) at school and club too in both my pre-teen and teen years to and also regularly go to the gym and train from about 15 or 16 onwards.

What is the best way to encourage a kid to take advantage of their innate physical abilities?

As others have said, just give them opportunities and freedom to try and play a variety of sports and physical activities they're interested in and enjoy.

B

brainheart

It's funny, because I am an INTP, my brother an ISTP, and our childhood styles couldn't have been more different. My parents could park me in a corner with some blocks, legos, GI Joes and I'd sit there and go to town

I loved building things/playing with toys as well. I could never just play with toys, though. I was far more interested in building them houses out of boxes, making them clothes, cutting their hair. I didn't really 'play' as in create stories and act them out so much, it was all about the set and costume design, so to speak.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
It's funny, because I am an INTP, my brother an ISTP, and our childhood styles couldn't have been more different. My parents could park me in a corner with some blocks, legos, GI Joes and I'd sit there and go to town, whereas my brother was all over the place breaking things over my head while I pretended he wasn't there. Most of all, he loved having an impact on his world. He wanted to get to the top of something. He wanted to move something. He wanted to break something. It's like they want to force the environment into as many configurations as possible so they can see what it looks like.

So, anything that offers the SP the chance to interact and overcome environmental obstacles is something they'll probably love. My brother loved gymnastics and loved playgrounds. I'd create scavenger hunts, where the object or goal is clearly visible, but some kind of physical obstacles must be overcome to reach the treasure/prize.
My girlfriend's brother is an ISTP, 27-28 yrs old, and he has a HUGE collection of legos and miniatures. He's constantly working on his lego models. That's basically all that's in his room.

He was quite a vandal growing up though, from what I hear tell.

Anyway, I was never quite a vandal, at least not until I grew up alot, but when I was young (think I was more ISTP then) I couldn't get enough of Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys and Legos.