• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensor Myths- Fact or Fiction? (for SJs too!)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Also, if SPs aren't good at art, then where does our talent lie? That's the trouble with pinning all creativity on abstractoids. You guys are intellectual, diplomatic, meaningful, visionary, intensely smart and passionate, AND you're the most creative and best troubleshooters? Then what the fuck is left for US? :shock:

Oh, right, I forgot... idiocy and zero personal skills. :rolli: :steam:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
true, my favorite jobs were always those in which I had to think on my feet and troubleshoot- I was elected unanimously to a position where I had to do that 3 years in a row in my professional frat (until I gave up and worked as an assistant my last year!) :cheese:

oh! don't forget playing football, scratching balls, making fart jokes, wearing body glitter and stuffing all of the poor Ns into their lockers as Sensor skills! :laugh:

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
you don't get my sense of humor :boohoo:

i've been here only for a short time, but i think your posts have been funny :D

that bit is totally false, btw... a lot of S people i know have a great sense of humor. ;)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, if SPs aren't good at art, then where does our talent lie? That's the trouble with pinning all creativity on abstractoids. You guys are intellectual, diplomatic, meaningful, visionary, intensely smart and passionate, AND you're the most creative and best troubleshooters? Then what the fuck is left for US? :shock:

Hahahahahhahaa, I think I just fell in love with you, I am laughing hysterically!!!

You had me at "abstractoids"

:wub:

Your post coupled with your avatar is PERFECTION!!!

:D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm still fucking laughing!!!

I just imagine the dude in your avatar saying it, brilliant!!!!

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

You're right of course man, but let me just say that half of the people in your tag are not ESTPs.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've run across the following stereotypes about people with S in their type while browsing through the site and wanted other opinions on these myths- are they fact or fiction? :huh:

(I personally think that they're all bullshit- well, maybe the attention whore thing applies to ALL ExxPs, but in general, these "theories" are completely idiotic! :) )
These characteristics are individual values and behaviors, not cognitive processes.

sensors don't like math

*sigh* Sensors kick butt at math, as often as not. Mostly due to the next stereotype.

sensors are extremely detail oriented

Some are, some aren't. I dislike the "detail oriented" vs "abstract theory" descriptions of S vs N. N works well with abstract theory, but needs details to ground the theories. S works well with details, but that isn't the same as being detail-oriented. It's more like being aware of the world around you (Se) or being aware of what you have experienced (Si).

attention whores

How the heck did this become an S stereotype? ENFP anyone? ENFJ? ENTP?

less than loyal

At what point did SJ stereotypes get lumped in with SP stereotypes? I'd think the Ns would be more likely characterized as less loyal, if anything. (Not that the characterization is true either way.)

sensors don't understand the internet
Hardly. I do think, however, that there is a affinity between INxx and the internet. "I" likes being able to socialize without being extroverted and dealing with people face to face, while "N" is well suited to using text as a substitute for reality.

we are "sheep" and beleive and do what we are told

:rofl1:

sensors don't understand things like personality theory

:coffee: Oh really. Tell me more.

SJs like rules because they're rules, and rules are meant to be followed

This is one that gets a lot of abuse. It's got enough of a grain of truth that it is believed in a simple way ... by Ns ... :p

It's more of a predisposition to agree to established rules, even if one disagrees with them.

sensors aren't smart

Riiiiight.

SJs all love jesus... or religion in general

No, but the equating of SJ with organized religion helps to classify it a bit. My approach to religion has always been a bit off the beaten path.

sensors aren't very good at the arts, especially writing fiction

:wtf:

SPs love nothing more than being single or cheating on their SOs

The best way to dehumanize someone is to say that they really don't understand love or human relationships.

we're all crazy party animals

Hey, don't be so quick to disavow this one. INTJs get to debate about how smart we really are. Borrring. INTJs -never- get accused of being party animals.

no ability to develop a more clever sense of humor/no sense of humor
How does this kind of thing even make it into a stereotype list? :confused:

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i think that cheating part is the most ridiculous. who came up with all of this anyway? ... and the party animal part, not all Ss i know even like to party...

well... i think it's just N frustration, probably. we've been told we're weird and been looked at funny our whole lives, so then some Ns take it out on Ss on internet :D

^ don't take me too seriously now, either. :p

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
sensors don't like math

--Applied math is fine, so long as I'm not crunching numbers for the sake of crunching numbers. I'm not in a line of work where knowing trig benefits me, but if I was it wouldn't be too hard for me to learn.

--I suppose so? In my line of work I try to cut out as much fluff I can and the details I focus on are necessary

attention whores

--I'm an introvert, no attention necessary... But I won't lie and say I hate being in the limelite.

less than loyal

--You give what you get, I'm perfectly loyal to my friends, unless they put me in a bad position.

--False.

--False. I am critical of everything, I don't buy into things easily. I hate people who think they are quoting 'facts' they read in magazines or on the internet.

--Not very well. I get the gyst of it but I start to get lost when people talk about functions.

--Sure?

sensors aren't smart

--Yea ok.

--Couldn't say, religion is very prevelant where I am so it wouldn't surprise me.

--I play piano and am told I draw above average... Writing stories is a different matter.

--Been on my own for a while now, no problems being single, but I have never cheated.... I think. Define a relationship?

--I partied, and still like to party every so often.

--Humor is subjective, this could be applied to any function.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP

We tell them what to do. :yes:

MBTI Type
INFP
How does this kind of thing even make it into a stereotype list? :confused:

Well, most of the people I know who fit this category are sensors, or at least sensor-dominant.

Plenty of intuitives lack a clever sense of humor, don't get me wrong. There just seems to be a correlation (however weak) to those who are sensors and not understanding underlying humor.

Then again, this is coming from my perspective as an N. The things I find most funny are those with an underlying element of humor. I often find myself laughing when no one else is, and faking my laughter at things that are meant to be funny. Usually, these "funny" things are things promoted by sensors.

Plenty of you are quite enjoyable, though. If you want to bring someone along with you to an activity, a sensor will make a great companion.

KDude

Often my own humor is... of the deflating variety. I might make light of a situation or a subject, or might do it to a person. Some people don't appreciate the second or third :laugh: Sometimes I don't think through enough and the jokes have a cruel ring of truth of them. OTOH, I think I try to make light of my own self too.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I do the same :doh:

life is too long to take things too seriously... laughter makes us healthier! :holy:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've run across the following stereotypes about people with S in their type while browsing through the site and wanted other opinions on these myths- are they fact or fiction? :huh:

(I personally think that they're all bullshit- well, maybe the attention whore thing applies to ALL ExxPs, but in general, these "theories" are completely idiotic! :) )

One thing to always keep in mind is that there's like 5 billion Sensors on Planet Earth, so they're not all going to be alike on anything. However, there are obviously observable patterns, because that's what makes us who we are.

sensors don't like math

I hate math, but obviously there are tons who excel at it.

I believe this one is true, yes. Now SPs and SJs differ a lot on what kinds of details they are oriented towards. This is one of those areas where I LIKE the function theories because they do a pretty good job of explaining it with the difference between "Se" and "Si." SPs tend to be detailed in their current in-the-moment actions, taking in with their senses and processing all the relevant information from their surroundings to apply to the task at hand. SJs meanwhile are much more detailed in terms of future planning and past mistakes, using their detailed memories as a guidebook to current and future action. It's not that SPs don't have detailed memories too, it's just that ours tend to be limited to what we're truly interested in, whereas SJs tend to remember all sorts of stuff they don't even care about. I remember discussing this with raz a while back. It's like SPs have a filter that sifts out the past data that doesn't matter to us now, but SJs keep on having it come back up in their mind whether they like it or not.

attention whores

Many are, many aren't, certainly not limited to Sensors. SPs have a desire to make an impact on people, but some of them do so in much more private less "Attention whore" ways.

less than loyal

This one could apply to any type. And is highly subjective. I would say SJs are probably the MOST likely to be viewed overall as loyal, however.

I understand how to use what I want to use most of the time, but I'm totally clueless when it comes to the technical aspects of the internet.

For the most part, yeah. Most people don't like to think of themselves that way, but if you looked at us from a distance, we would appear to be quite sheep-like, and I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. By the way, you misspelled believe. ;)

I don't understand the abstract notions of personality theory very well at all, but I think I understand practical application of relevant theory much better than most people on this forum. This is an area where I think the Intuitives' intuition serves them well in some areas - the more abstract theories being more understandable, but the observational skills of Sensors serve us to better see how the theories actually play out in real life.

To a point, yes. SJs tend to be more trusting of authority and seek security and structure, so rules can be an effective way of achieving this. However, that doesn't mean that they always oppose changes in rules or believe there is never a time to bend or break them.

sensors aren't smart

That one's not even worth responding to really. ;)

I think SJs are the most likely to observe traditional religious rituals and to follow in the footsteps of family and community members in this area as well as many others, but that certainly doesn't mean all SJs are religious, and certainly not all Christian. NFs actually seem to be the most likely to get swept up in the "spiritual high" of religious faith and devote themselves to causes related to this with fervor. SPs who get into spirituality can rival them in this, but their reasons for doing so are often very different.

Well, that's obviously poppycock, some of the most revered works of art of all time have been created by Sensors.

There are definitely aspects of being single that I love, but I also often crave companionship of the opposite sex, so it goes back and forth. I don't know what "SOs" means, but if it means spouses, then I would say that plenty of SPs, including myself, have not cheated but because of our sensation-seeking personalities, we may be the most often tempted to do so, and perhaps more likely than the typical person of other temperaments.

All Sensors or just all SPs?

SP: :party2:

SJ: :1377:

:laugh:

Definitely not true about SPs, we're all about the humor. And even SOME SJs have a sense of humor. :newwink:

KDude

I'm not a party animal... but then, i'm an addict - a recovering one. a lot of stuff that defines parties scares the shit out of me. i don't want to lose myself too much.

in parties i am social and friendly, and like meeting people, jumping from group to group, but in my view, it's all rather chill

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
omg, I'm totally one of the best troubleshooters I know! :D

Hey stellar!
SUUUUUP! :smoke:

true, my favorite jobs were always those in which I had to think on my feet and troubleshoot- I was elected unanimously to a position where I had to do that 3 years in a row in my professional frat (until I gave up and worked as an assistant my last year!) :cheese:

oh! don't forget playing football, scratching balls, making fart jokes, wearing body glitter and stuffing all of the poor Ns into their lockers as Sensor skills! :laugh:
hahaha. My ISFJ girl and her ISFP mom love burping and farting and making jokes about it.

Hahahahahhahaa, I think I just fell in love with you, I am laughing hysterically!!!

You had me at "abstractoids"

Your post coupled with your avatar is PERFECTION!!!

I'm still fucking laughing!!!

I just imagine the dude in your avatar saying it, brilliant!!!!

:smooch: Hey, thanks, babe! :newwink: Lurve you, too. :wubbie: :hug:

(And actually, you can thank Jeffster for the term "abstractoids" - I just promoted it. :newwink:)

You're right of course man, but let me just say that half of the people in your tag are not ESTPs.
Present your arguments, in another thread, of course. I'd like to hear them.

well... i think it's just N frustration, probably. we've been told we're weird and been looked at funny our whole lives, so then some Ns take it out on Ss on internet :D
That's exactly what I was tryin' to say!

I believe this one is true, yes. Now SPs and SJs differ a lot on what kinds of details they are oriented towards. This is one of those areas where I LIKE the function theories because they do a pretty good job of explaining it with the difference between "Se" and "Si." SPs tend to be detailed in their current in-the-moment actions, taking in with their senses and processing all the relevant information from their surroundings to apply to the task at hand. SJs meanwhile are much more detailed in terms of future planning and past mistakes, using their detailed memories as a guidebook to current and future action. It's not that SPs don't have detailed memories too, it's just that ours tend to be limited to what we're truly interested in, whereas SJs tend to remember all sorts of stuff they don't even care about. I remember discussing this with raz a while back. It's like SPs have a filter that sifts out the past data that doesn't matter to us now, but SJs keep on having it come back up in their mind whether they like it or not.
Yes, thank you. :yes:

Also, SJs tend to be better at forms because of this, because they register details in their memories much better than we do. For instance, on my job I'll do something the same way a thousand times, and on the thousand and first time I'll do it different, just because I think my brain requires change to survive. :newwink: When it came to my first time actually dispatching drivers, though, which requires rapid dissemination of details and fast-paced action, my boss said, "NICE," and told me I did amazingly well keeping up. What can I say? I'm just skilled that way! ;)

I'm also a pretty good amateur detective. I figure out what people are doing or what they're up to by observing subtle actions that alot of others wouldn't notice. I kept up on office drama concerning my raise and was never surprised in the least when someone updated me on it even though it pretty much mostly happened behind closed doors (until the one dude got two weeks' suspension for insubordination, of course :eek:)

For the most part, yeah. Most people don't like to think of themselves that way, but if you looked at us from a distance, we would appear to be quite sheep-like, and I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. By the way, you misspelled believe. ;)
I think pretty much all humanity could be seen that way, actually. Our philosophies always seem to be built upon past philosophies. I see this happening in history in a very distinct and concrete way. Some people are just fooling themselves by thinking they've come up with something completely new.

But yeah, I have a hard time doing any kind of research on anything to find something out for myself. I just go with the flow and try to modify things according to current need instead of trying to figure out the extensive length and breadth of its roots and implications.

There are some revolutionary ideas I have, but they're all rooted in concrete observation, whether it be libertarianism, the methodology of doing church or beliefs about the world to come.

I don't understand the abstract notions of personality theory very well at all, but I think I understand practical application of relevant theory much better than most people on this forum. This is an area where I think the Intuitives' intuition serves them well in some areas - the more abstract theories being more understandable, but the observational skills of Sensors serve us to better see how the theories actually play out in real life.
YES! :rock: Exact-a-mundo, my Artisan brotha.

I suck at figuring out the basic concepts and the whys and root issues, but once you tell me what concrete observations to look out for to determine type, I'm on it like Blue Bonnet! :D I can pretty often determine someone's type super quick using that technique with the madness of superior observation and precise memory. :rock:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sensors aren't smart
Can't comment on the rest, but on this one... Obviously not all sensors are dumb (Two of my best friends are ESTP and have IQs in the 120 and 140 range respectively), and I'm certain it isn't true for the majority of sensors on this site, but the statistical rule is a documented fact: 96% of high-IQ people are N.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Can't comment on the rest, but on this one... Obviously not all sensors are dumb (Two of my best friends are ESTP and have IQs in the 120 and 140 range respectively), and I'm certain it isn't true for the majority of sensors on this site, but the statistical rule is a documented fact: 96% of high-IQ people are N.

Where's this documented fact at? I'm curious now.