• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Any SP's who hated school?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ISFP friend hated school. He had a some social and test anxiety thrown in for good measure, so he mostly zoned out and tried not to be called on during class. Not really an effective coping strategy, though.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
yeah, my environment contributed as well. i was in highschool in the early 90's. a lot of chaos back then. kids were following either NWA or Kurt Cobain. just to put a humorous note on it. i fared better than some though.

yeah, i think it was around 1992 when i had my one year in high school. NWA and Ice T were huge at my school.

we had an out of control dropout rate at my high school, the vast majority were dropouts. so the real rebels and freethinkers were the kids who finished and graduated.

wolfy

awsm
I never really disliked school, at least no more than usual. I do have a tendency to zone out when being talked at... so I made it through as a relatively quiet well mannered student.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I hated school because I had social anxiety. I frequently played sick growing up. My mom fell for it everytime. I also had a hard time paying attention in class. I was a daydreamer. However I am in college now and loving it. I am studying what interests me and I'm just not as shy as I was as a child.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never really disliked school, at least no more than usual. I do have a tendency to zone out when being talked at... so I made it through as a relatively quiet well mannered student.

I acted similiar because school bored me to death.

KDude

yeah, i think it was around 1992 when i had my one year in high school. NWA and Ice T were huge at my school.

we had an out of control dropout rate at my high school, the vast majority were dropouts. so the real rebels and freethinkers were the kids who finished and graduated.

Did you go to H.S. in Belize?

Anyways, yeah, pretty much the same story. Almost my entire circle had probs with school then. Some went really off the deep end (and dead even), so I guess I'd still consider myself lucky. And yeah, the real rebels were the ones with their shit together. :D Much respect

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I did not care for school...except for my art classes which is where my interests have been since I can remember. Everything else was a boring waste of time to me I could not correlate it with an immediate reward. I could see the work of my hands right then and there. Of cousre it would have helped to have the knowledge that I scorned.

For most of my life following school I was forced away from my impulse for art by family, society and other practical matters. Now in the summer of my years, and by pure luck I have taken up my pursuit of art again. When I consider the years that I lost to just living instead of following what I was naturally gifted for I could be bitter...but those years feed my work now and I would not have my life now without having gone through them.

Caveat: Doing what you love does not necessarily result in conventional notions of success. Sure feels good though.

KDude

I had encouragement with art, but I didn't even take art seriously in highschool. I remember turning in some of the most ridiculous work. I was into theater as well, but ended up making a joke out of that too. When I was younger, these were personal interests of mine.. so I'm not entirely sure what went wrong.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
My path has been similar to yours.
The only classes that I cared about were art and music. English was good when it was creative writing.
After that, I tried to be another member of my family. Anyone but me. Now I am realizing that the gifts that God has offered me are only good if I use them. I am putting effort into improving my art skills. I try to draw at least one picture a day. I feel happier although I have not been successful according to society's definition of success.
If I had to do school all over again, I would leave as soon as I turned 16 and would have pursued my own education by less traditional means (art studios, private foreign language instruction, libraries, etc.).

I did not care for school...except for my art classes which is where my interests have been since I can remember. Everything else was a boring waste of time to me I could not correlate it with an immediate reward. I could see the work of my hands right then and there. Of cousre it would have helped to have the knowledge that I scorned.

For most of my life following school I was forced away from my impulse for art by family, society and other practical matters. Now in the summer of my years, and by pure luck I have taken up my pursuit of art again. When I consider the years that I lost to just living instead of following what I was naturally gifted for I could be bitter...but those years feed my work now and I would not have my life now without having gone through them.

Caveat: Doing what you love does not necessarily result in conventional notions of success. Sure feels good though.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
If I had to do school all over again, I would leave as soon as I turned 16 and would have pursued my own education by less traditional means (art studios, private foreign language instruction, libraries, etc.).

Yes, our society could really use the return of actual apprenticeships for those who have a preference for doing. It is easier in the workshop to understand what geometry is for when you have to use it to realize a practical end.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That is a good point. It wasn't until I took a perspective drawing class that I learned that geometry is very useful and practical. In school, I thought, what's the point of this?
I never much cared for math but, now I can see that math is really a big part of everyday life, from measuring ingredients for baked goods to the aforementioned perspective drawing (figuring out the vanishing point(s) in a painting).
Getting immediate practical use out of something that I am trying to learn would give me much more motivation to learn it than the future promise of a good grade or something to that effect.

Yes, our society could really use the return of actual apprenticeships for those who have a preference for doing. It is easier in the workshop to understand what geometry is for when you have to use it to realize a practical end.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My path has been similar to yours.
The only classes that I cared about were art and music. English was good when it was creative writing.
After that, I tried to be another member of my family. Anyone but me. Now I am realizing that the gifts that God has offered me are only good if I use them. I am putting effort into improving my art skills. I try to draw at least one picture a day. I feel happier although I have not been successful according to society's definition of success.

I was the opposite and enjoyed science, shop, math, and creative writing when I was allowed to write about science, technology, etc.

I also found a way to get along with everyone in my family on a one-on-one basis. Not becoming them, but understanding them and what they liked and didnt like and how to merge what I like with what they liked. I would go with my mom to bingo to keep her company, but play my gameboy and everyonce in a while play bingo when I felt like it.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Did you go to H.S. in Belize?

no, i grew up in the USA, i went to school in Los Angeles.

i think so too. i think one of the great things about apprenticeships is that you learn the business and social aspects of the job also.

LEGERdeMAIN

School was okay, except for the racism, the slow pace, the irrational/unfairly applied rules and regulations, the daily gangfights, etc, etc, etc. I enjoy learning and kind of wished that it was the central focus of the staff during my 13 years of public education.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, lots of great and interesting responses here.
It seems that a dislike of arbitrary/irrational/unfairly applied rules and regulations is a common theme. Teachers' failure to tie knowledge to real-world applications that would have illustrated to students the relevance of acquiring that knowledge seemed to be an issue with some responders as well.

Bringing back apprenticeships is an interesting idea, too. If that were an option, students who were identified at a young age as having particular talents could be encouraged to focus their learning on those particular areas. I think everyone needs a certain amount of general knowledge, though, so a general overview of the main subjects couldn't be completely thrown out. I wish schools would take a more individual approach to educating students instead of trying to apply an SJ-minded "one size fits all" approach, so that all kinds of different kids (who interact with and view the world in different ways) would have the education that best suits them as unique individuals, with unique interests and abilities.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

+1!

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I did OK. I caught a bad case of senioritis and my steady 3.8 GP dipped to a 2.7 in my final year of highschool. I loved the sciences, and naturally woodshops. I didn't like much math and I absolutely hated English/literature classes (even though my teacher was badass).

When I went to college also had a full-time job. I enjoyed making money more than going to class. Another thing I completely hated about the college I attended (University of Idaho) was that they had many math classes where you'd have to listen to additional lectures out of class on a computer. That in itself wasn't too bad but you couldn't do this on your own computer, you had to go to a crowded computer lab filled with aging PCs, and had to fumble around with the University's clumsy, beta-ish software to view said lectures and do your assignments.

With that said, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have been a moron and quit.

tastes_like_purple

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Well I'm still stuck there ¬_¬ I actually do'nt know anything I could possibly hate with more passion.
I hate rules, schedules, authority and basically all my subjects except for art.
I'm finished in 4 months though!!! :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. I hated school because it's never fun being an environment where like 90 percent of everyone there (including teachers) doesn't want to be there. It's like prison for kids.

Now, specialized schools, that actually let people take classes in things they WANT to learn are a good thing.

That being said, if I had the ability to go back and re-do school with the knowledge I have now, I think school would totally rock because I could have so much fun that I missed the first time because I was too busy growing up.