• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP compared to ISFP

jixmixfix

Permabanned
ISFPs are all sensitive n shit...like the ISFP friends i know get all googly and warm yuck!:shock:

KDude

^ That right there... makes people underestimate the ISFP sometimes, I think. I especially do not like it if someone sees my friendliness as being dependent/needy/weak in some way. I end up showing people that..I'm more independent than they could ever be. Mercilessly, I might add. It sucks, but whatever. ..Oh look, cake! Mmmmmm

wolfy

awsm
^ That right there... makes people underestimate the ISFP sometimes, I think. I especially do not like it if someone sees my friendliness as being dependent/needy/weak in some way. I end up showing people that..I'm more independent than they could ever be. Mercilessly, I might add. It sucks, but whatever. ..Oh look, cake! Mmmmmm

That is an interesting point. I think people often overestimate the extent of the friendliness and get surprised by the independence. ISFP are fiercely independent I think. Especially when it comes to style, not style as in fashion. Style as in, "this is how I do it, bugger off".

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
This is all interesting but, for now, I'm sticking with isxp. Right now, I'm thinking isfp but, tomorrow, it will probably be istp.
Decisive is not part of my personality, so I guess that "J" isn't an option for me.:doh:

KDude

This is all interesting but, for now, I'm sticking with isxp. Right now, I'm thinking isfp but, tomorrow, it will probably be istp.
Decisive is not part of my personality, so I guess that "J" isn't an option for me.:doh:

Lets test where your ISTP/ISFP breaking point is. :D

It's 3:00 AM... freezing.. you're on the highway... You suddenly pass a truck stalled on the side of the road.. two girls are outside, stranded.. you don't really want to bother, but... ugh.. damnit, OK.. so you turn around. OR DID YOU turn around at all? Maybe your F is extremely weak, that you're a jerk, and you didn't care.

Lets say it's not weak though and you turned around. For what reason then? What was dominant in your mind? How were you expressing concern? Were you thinking in terms of fixing their truck, or did you simply feel sorry for them.. and figured just being there might help?

Anyways, so you're there.. what do you ask them first? Do you ask about the car first, and want to pop open the hood.. Or do you just stand and meander for a sec, introduce yourself... get their names.. maybe comment on how freaking cold it is as a way of indicating sympathy? Also, you notice that one of them is hot, and has her titties popping out of her jacket.. Are you.. still thinking about the car?

errr.. wait, tits are beside the point. i'm confusing matters.

Further, it turns out they just ran out of gas. No biggie if you're an ISTP. You have a spare tank in the trunk, right? RIGHT? Along with tools and shit. The ISFP OTOH stockpiles trash and CD's in his car. Maybe he has some tools? He doesn't know, and it doesn't register with him to check.

Anyhow, do you save the day like an ISTP would and fill their tank up right there? Or do you drive them to nearest gas station... end up making friends on that short ride.. actually talk to them a bit.. charm them.. secretly cared about what tunes were in the background..? Most importantly, they called you an angel, and you ended up leaving with their numbers.

wolfy

awsm

Anyhow, do you save the day like an ISTP would and fill their tank up right there? Or do you drive them to nearest gas station... end up making friends on that short ride.. actually talk to them a bit.. charm them.. and end up getting their numbers?

I drive them and make friends.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's 3:00 AM... freezing.. you're on the highway... You suddenly pass a truck stalled on the side of the road.. two girls are outside, stranded.. you don't really want to bother, but... ugh.. damnit, OK.. so you turn around. OR DID YOU turn around at all? Maybe your F is extremely weak, that you're a jerk, and you didn't care.

Lets say it's not weak though and you turned around. For what reason then? What was dominant in your mind? How were you expressing concern? Were you thinking in terms of fixing their truck, or did you simply feel sorry for them.. and figured just being there might help?

Anyways, so you're there.. what do you ask them first? Do you ask about the car first, and want to pop open the hood.. Or do you just stand and meander for a sec, introduce yourself... get their names.. maybe comment on how freaking cold it is as a way of indicating sympathy? Also, you notice that one of them is hot, and has her titties popping out of her jacket.. Are you.. still thinking about the car?

Further, it turns out they just ran out of gas. No biggie if you're an ISTP. You have a spare tank in the trunk, right? RIGHT? Along with tools and shit. The ISFP OTOH stockpiles trash and CD's in his car. Maybe he has some tools? He doesn't know, and it doesn't register with him to check.

Anyhow, do you save the day like an ISTP would and fill their tank up right there? Or do you drive them to nearest gas station... end up making friends on that short ride.. actually talk to them a bit.. charm them.. and end up getting their numbers?

:laugh: I have a extra gas container in my trunk.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I don't even have a car. I walk everywhere!! I would just ask them if they have AAA and suggest that they call at once. If that doesn't work, I'd walk with one of them to a gas station, while the other one waits in the vehicle (with the flashers going).

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Anyhow, do you save the day like an ISTP would and fill their tank up right there? Or do you drive them to nearest gas station... end up making friends on that short ride.. actually talk to them a bit.. charm them.. secretly cared about what tunes were in the background..? Most importantly, they called you an angel, and you ended up leaving with their numbers.

:laugh:

That's amazing! My husband would definiately pop the hood and fix the car with tools I didn't know he had in the trunk. Especially if one was a redhead....

I, on the other hand would offer to help by offering my cell phone.

@ Walking Tourist: You're definiatly ISFP by KDude's assessment.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Just to add, the sad part about the ISFP's story is that he might not even call those numbers after the girls hand them out. :laugh:

:laugh: Ya, she looked good in the cold. But in warmer environments? Who knows? ;)

KDude

@ Walking Tourist: You're definiatly ISFP by KDude's assessment.

Yeah, the fact that he's walking at 3AM in the cold, in this day and age, would probably say a lot whether he's ISTP or not :laugh: Not any kind of vehicle? Just feet? No scooter, snowmobile, giant mecha robot, ATV, motorcycle... not even a BMX? Walking Tourist is more than likely not ISTP then. :D

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Walking Tourist is best described as "she." Come to think about it, I don't know why I would be walking on the highway at three o'clock in the morning. I think that scenario was probably a dream sequence. But WT would like to have a giant mecha robot!!!:smile:

Yeah, the fact that he's walking at 3AM in the cold, in this day and age, would probably say a lot whether he's ISTP or not :laugh: Not any kind of vehicle? Just feet? No scooter, snowmobile, giant mecha robot, ATV, motorcycle... not even a BMX? Walking Tourist is more than likely not ISTP then. :D

KDude

oops.. sorry. "she" it is. ;)

ok, you make a good point. i'm isfp, and still would like a mecha suit myself :D

B

brainheart

I just wanted to say you guys rule. It's hard to stay away.

B

brainheart

By the way, I would wish I had something to fix the car but I wouldn't. Although I can change a flat, no problem. I love changing flats, I am not kidding. And I'm the only female I know personally who can do that. I also love to reshingle roofs, dig big holes, and tear out walls. But I wouldn't want to do it professionally, and it's not as important to me as my values, or as being creative, writing music and whatnot.

KDude

I'm pretty unskilled with cars (outside the basics), but I love driving them at least ;) I'm better fixing other things like small electronic appliances, or computers.. except I'd rather not. I like my computers to work and then be done with it... I get the feeling an ISTP would tinker and tweak for the sake of it, and look for ways to tune things (just like with cars).

[edit] I believe my mom is ISTP, but she doesn't use computers (really!)... But she's a helluva a carpenter.. And can build all kinds of clever things for her house. Really odd, since she had zero training, is an immigrant, barely can read English.. and she buys expensive powertools.. and knows how to use them almost fairly quickly.