• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Questions for ISFPs!

iLoveiLiveiAm

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Greetings fellow Typology Members and ISFPs. I would like to ask general questions to see how ISFPs on this forum respond. This isn't trying to prove anything. I just want to see how much we relate to each other. I'll contribute as well.

How do you view and handle theory?

How does your Fi work in contrast to INFPs?

Do you enjoy science?

Do you enjoy philosophy?

What type of art do you enjoy? (Music, Poetry,Literature, Film, Drawing, Ect..)

Do you have a talent for drawing?

ISFP Stereotypes...Which ones do not fit?

What are your typical mannerisms?

Have you even been mean to get someone to leave you alone?

Greatly appreciated,
iLove

MBTI Type
INFP

Depends on what it is and the day. Usually I just analyze it and process it for what it is, conjuring up an image of some sort that describes it.

My Fi seems to be triggered by sights, sounds, and smells. My senses work to trigger different emotions that are constantly changing.

Do you enjoy science?

Some sciences, very much so.

Do you enjoy philosophy?

Definitely. Just got done reading a Nietzsche book, actually.

I live and breathe music of all kinds. It's my lifeblood.

Poetry is great when I'm in the mood for it, as is film. I'm constantly reading, although a small percentage of it is literature.

No. I don't draw that much as I'm not quite skilled. I do like graphic design, though, and web design is an enjoyable creative outlet for me.

I'm not as lazy as the SPs get accused of being. Well...I admit I'm a complete lazy-bones sometimes, but when I actually get started on a project that interests me, I'll do it and do it to the best of my abilities.

Quiet, thoughtful, very emotional although 90% of the emotions are under the surface. When I speak, I speak in bursts, since I only speak when something interests me.

Honestly, not really. I usually just tough it out and make a mental note to avoid ever being around the person again. The only time I was ever a complete douche to someone was when he deserved it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you view and handle theory? I see theory as more of a tool to use. If it helps me understand reality, that's cool. But if it just is totally useless and meant to provoke thoughts... and isn't useful... then I just can't really focus on it or care about it.

How does your Fi work in contrast to INFPs? I feel things based on direct events in my life. Most of my emotional reactions are really in the moment, and I would consider them easy to understand. I tend to figure out other's feelings by analyzing their body language and generally the in the moment cues, I don't really do Ne to figure them out (not sure how that works in the first place).

Do you enjoy science? No. Not at all. It's really not my thing.

Do you enjoy philosophy? My interest in philosophy fluctates. It's like a mood, but it lasts for months and months. I will really enjoy it and absorb it some times, and other times (like now) it makes my head hurt.

What type of art do you enjoy? (Music, Poetry,Literature, Film, Drawing, Ect..) I really don't like art. But music is cool.

Do you have a talent for drawing? I'm a horrible artist.

ISFP Stereotypes...Which ones do not fit? I'm not an artist for one... and I don't like attention in general. I like attention given from an individual a LOT, in fact I need attention from individuals, but nothing like attention from a lot of people or being put in the spotlight.

What are your typical mannerisms? I'm lazy, quiet, stern and serious until I get to know you; then I'm ridiculously silly or serious depending on context.

Have you even been mean to get someone to leave you alone? Yes. But it was someone that I didn't really care about. I try to do it more politely if I care.

KDude

Do you enjoy science?

I can't say that I enjoy science because I don't exactly practice it/have a scientific profession.. But I do appreciate it. It's based in the realm of experience/experimentation. I feel... safe with it. I also find it entertaining, of all things. Depending on the scientist. I think some of the best scientists are able to impart their fascination with the universe on to their listeners.. even if it's highly abstract, like with some theoretical physicists. They make it fun.

Philosophy is... hit or miss. I'd say I appreciate wisdom and practical advice, not philosophy per se. "Wisdom" is a proverb. Philosophy OTOH is some dude writing a 2 volume exploration into whether a "chair" is real and still exists when he leaves the room. To hell with that noise.

I don't consider myself an accomplished artist - but I've played a musical instrument for 20 years (guitar), I draw occasionally (with pencil and paper.. never learned other techniques), write the occasional poem, been in and out of theater workshops (kind of lost interest in that.. I appreciate acting more as a fan), into photography.. hmm.. I'd say I enjoy most art except dancing. I love watching people dance, but I'm too inhibited to get into it myself.

As for what type of art I like.. Kind of a rocker/punk. I guess? I like a lot of dark imagery and music, but that has a whimsical side to it. Not like seriously depressing gothy stuff. Something that's still fun..

Hippy.

wolfy

awsm

In small chunks.

I think the S grounds us a bit more.

Do you enjoy science?

Yes. especially biology.

Do you enjoy philosophy?

Yes. Asian philosophy especially

Music, film and drawing I enjoy most. In that order.

Maybe. Chuck Jones said you need to draw 10,000 drawings to develop your talent. I have never got anywhere near that.

I don't have that prima donna thing.

Watch my video. I don't know.

Yes

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Greetings fellow Typology Members and ISFPs. I would like to ask general questions to see how ISFPs on this forum respond. This isn't trying to prove anything. I just want to see how much we relate to each other. I'll contribute as well.

How do you view and handle theory? In small doses, preferably, and with real-life examples.

How does your Fi work in contrast to INFPs? I don't know.

Do you enjoy science? Yes, especially biology, astronomy, geology... I don't know as much as I'd like but I find science to be very fascinating.

Do you enjoy philosophy? In extremely small doses.

What type of art do you enjoy? (Music, Poetry,Literature, Film, Drawing, Ect..) I like all of it, but especially music, literature, film, drawing and painting.

Do you have a talent for drawing? Yes, I have been told that I do. I draw in my sketchbook almost every day and use different drawing media... pen and ink, graphite, colored pencil, even crayon.

ISFP Stereotypes...Which ones do not fit? I am not quiet and uncommunicative.

What are your typical mannerisms? I am very energetic but shy around people whom I don't know.

Have you even been mean to get someone to leave you alone? Yes (but they have to be an incredibly irritating pest before I will start acting mean...).

Greatly appreciated,
iLove

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I tend to figure out other's feelings by analyzing their body language and generally the in the moment cues, I don't really do Ne to figure them out (not sure how that works in the first place).

At the risk of derailing the thread, I'm going to answer that question. The strength of the INFP isn't so much awareness of peoples immediate emotions (as you implied, that is an ISFPs province) as the interpretation of them.

When an INFP hears someone speak/act, their Ne kicks, looking for possible interpretations to what they just heard/saw, looking to see what it says about that person. Given time, they will try to build up a "road map" of the speakers moral codes and emotional make up.

Thus the strength of an INFP is predicting the emotions of people they know at a remote. Sort of like, "I know how this person thinks, so I've got a good idea of how they would react in this situation, or what they would say about this."

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ

I don't mind it as long as it is practical. No practical application, not interested.

Don't know.

Do you enjoy science?

Yes as it relates to the outdoors, nature, farming, animals, etc

Do you enjoy philosophy?

see KDude's answer

Music

Yes but I haven't drawn in years.

Not sure of the sterotypes.

I'm quiet, down to earth and serious until you get to know me and my dry humour.

Unfortunately yes.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I only like it if it's an interesting theory :tongue:

I'm really not sure. I suppose it's more like, I put sort things out through my value system as they come... Yeah, I don't know. I'm not going to pretend I do, lol.

Do you enjoy science?
I loved science until I hit the 10th grade. Once they started adding math into the mix, I was lost. Biology and earth sciences were my favorites.

Do you enjoy philosophy?
I'm really impartial to it.

Drawing, dance, and graphic design are me three favorites. I'm really not a huge music lover.

Why yes, yes I do :D

I'm not a pot smoking hippy.

Soft spoken until I get to know people heart to heart. Then I'm usually THE party. But I'm really just calm and relaxed most of the time.

Other than my siblings? No. I'm highly against treating others like crap just because I want to be left alone.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7

I'll answer with a disclaimer: I pretty much always test as some derivative of an NF, though my behaviour probably more closely matches with ISFPs... plus I have that whole Se-love going on, so I'm ISFP dammit!

Like ayoitsStepho, I like it if it's interesting. It actually doesn't need to be practical, but practicality probably does contribute to its interestingness. I never run a 'practicality filter' over it though. If it appeals, it appeals. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I can go on massive theoretical benders and then be very relieved to go back to concreteness. Balance is important.

I don't seem to hold as firmly to my principles and ideals as INFPs do. I also seem more willing to bend my principles a little bit in order to achieve my aims. I can act against my principles and learn something that way (Fi gets rewritten), and the internal cognitive dissonance doesn't tear me apart the way it seems to do with INFPs (or maybe I'm just remembering some more extreme INFPs).

Do you enjoy science?
I'm a nerd and proud of it! I was trained as a scientist.

Do you enjoy philosophy?
I do and I don't. I like thinking philosophically to myself, or discussing philosophy with friends, but I won't go out and read philosophical books or essays. I'm okay with reading summaries of philosophical standpoints, plus seeing the reasoning behind it. It's a priority issue for me..

When I'm really down, I go into crazy philosophical mode, but to be honest, it's much healthier for me just to go and play some piano until I'm feeling better.

I prefer making art rather than absorbing it. However, I do love beautiful things... and there is beauty in ugliness, so I find many things beautiful and meaningful. :yes:

Yes to talent, though I don't have much time for it.

The dreamy, hippie, high-school dropout ones.
Also, the idea that we don't speak in abstractions and dislike theory. Then again I'm probably an FiNi sort of ISFP who is only now recapturing her Seness.
Also that we're excellent dancers and singers. I love dancing and singing but have no innate ability. Sigh!

I wave my hands around a lot when talking. I have a smile that makes other people smile spontaneously (I like doing this... they seem surprised they smiled back, hehe). I play with my hair a lot. With my friends, I like mock-fighting them.

Also, LOTS of spontaneous noises and sound effects.

I have left people alone in order not to become mean to them. If that makes sense.

I think if you push me far enough, I will become mean, but my meanness probably looks like a kitten's swipe on the scale of meanness. I think it's the end of the world when I've done it... others probably don't even notice it happened. :huh:

KDude

I'm definitely a highschool dropout type. Just not a hippy :D

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
My first thought was, could you be more specific? Maybe that's my answer. I like theory as long as it is interesting to me, I don't generally spend a lot of time worrying about it though.

I don't know a lot about INFPs, but I think maybe ISFPs are a little more easily satisfied. I feel happy just getting outside in the sun, or eating something yummy. INFPs I think thrive on deep things, not the simple things. But I might be totally off...

Do you enjoy science?

I do! I am actually a graduate student studying Earth Science right now. I'm not sure though that research is for me. I love learning about the Earth and teaching about it to others!

Do you enjoy philosophy?

Sometimes. I have a friend who is an INTJ, and I like to discuss philosophical things with him sometimes. But I guess I find it tiring, rather than energizing.

Pretty much anything. Mostly I like visual art; painting, drawing, photography. But I also love to listen to music, it makes my day sometimes, and I read a lot too. I really enjoy Steinbeck and Dickens.

Yes, drawing is something I love to do. My favorite thing to draw is faces. I feel like I get to know a person a little bit by drawing them. Especially old people, it's like the story of their lives is drawn all over their faces.

Umm.. some descriptions say that ISFPs are detail-oriented. I'm not. When I go for a walk, you could say I am detail oriented because I notice all the tiny little flowers and movements in the trees and stuff, but when it comes to everyday life I miss everything! I've been told I'm really oblivious!

This is kinda hard to answer about yourself. I'm very soft spoken, I usually keep to myself. I get pretty goofy sometimes though and I think people are surprised by it at first. I guess I'm pretty lighthearted usually.

Huh, probably a little bit. I do need to be left alone sometimes, but I don't often have a problem with people invading my space. I don't like to be mean, so I don't do it on purpose, but sometimes I can be a little mean when I'm not thinking. I think I'd be more likely to just say I have to do something and then go be alone.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram

Depends on the subject. Anything to do with psychology, I love the different theories.

I feel things deeply but I don't dwell on the negatives as long as INFPs do, I believe. My INFP sister seem's to have a "whoa is me" attitude, a victem mentality. I can get down but it doesn't last long. We both have our value systems that we base our decisions on though.

Do you enjoy science?

Not really.

Do you enjoy philosophy?

A bit.

Music, film, drawing.

I draw horses quite well.

I have a messy house. :yes:

Hmmm .. mona lisa smile? Trouble with sustaining eye contact? I get nervous when trying to express myself. I'm totally shy and uncomfortable in crowds. :cry:

I would have to be totally angry to get to the point of being mean. Once I'm at that point, I'm a total Beeeach. :steam:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yes, drawing is something I love to do. My favorite thing to draw is faces. I feel like I get to know a person a little bit by drawing them. Especially old people, it's like the story of their lives is drawn all over their faces.

True! :yes:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Theory is alright, I can handle it in bursts but it's not often I get real interested.

I don't know any INFPs in real life.

Do you enjoy science?

I like science, sometimes I like to read the latest science news.

Do you enjoy philosophy?

Nah

Music, Film, Drawing

I dunno, I like to draw?

I'm not completely in the moment, I can get a bit Nish (kind of a neurotic intuition) looking for hidden meanings and foreseeing what might go wrong instead of just going for it and enjoying the moment.

Very quiet, serious/deadpan approach but once I trust you (usually takes ages) I become very playful/cheeky and talkative. People probably get the wrong impression of me.

Not that I recall.

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually enjoy theory. This is the point I disagree with when told that, ISFP's dislike/don't understand theory.
I understand it, and like some theories, the ones that at least seem realistic.

I have no idea.

Do you enjoy science?
Not really, I never saw the point in taking it in school, unless you wanted to be a scienctist.
The only part I ever enjoyed was the solar system.

Do you enjoy philosophy?
No. It seems quiet pointless. Since philosophy is about the journey, and not the answer, I rather know the answer, than have a journey.

I like music, film, photography, paintings, drawings, graphic designs...
I don't not like writing, because I love to read, but poems are dull at itmes, and I don't like how some literature is to be analyzed.

Yes, and no.
My family and friends praise me that I can draw, but I feel I cannot draw as well as others, or as well as I can.
I'm a prefectionist in that way.

*goes to look at the stereotypes*
The too serious one doesn't fit me well, i'm all about play, and i'm neither unreliable.

I am usually playing with my hair, or fidgeting with my hands, biting my nails (though yesterday was the stopping point) or doodling.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Some theory seems to be useful, stuff that can be applied to real life things. But a lot of it just seems like useless mind-wanking.

Hard to say, but if I go by members of this forum, I would say that my "Fi" is used more to evaluate my own actions and values than other people's. Whereas many INFPs (and ENFPs) on this forum spend a lot of time judging other people and almost "crusading" against what they feel is wrong that other people do. I really don't waste much time on that. Are there people I wish would change their behavior? Sure. But, my SP cynicism tells me that people won't change for the most part, so I should focus on what I can do in my immediate environment and not worry about what people I don't even have to deal with are doing.

Do you enjoy science?

Some of it. I love animals and nature, so I enjoyed some aspects of life science in school, I also like astronomy and stuff about planets and space. I sometimes enjoy reading about weather and climate-type stuff.

Do you enjoy philosophy?

Similar to my answer on theory. Philosophy is interesting as it relates to actual events - different people's approaches to the same problems/issues, but if it's just a bunch of abstract mess, then it's boring.

Music and radio, tv/film, sports, stand-up comedy, street performers, theatre, improv.

I have sometimes doodled things that ended up interesting-looking, but I've never been good at actually drawing specific things, no.

Ones that say I'm a hippie, or incapable of carrying on a conversation, or have to avoid all conflicts. I think people who allege those things don't realize we are still SP temperament even if we may be introverted and feeling.

Hmm, good question. I use my hands a lot when speaking, even when chatting on the net with no one actually being able to see me. My face is very expressive, so it's usually not hard to tell what my emotions are. When I am thinking of speaking in my head, my lips actually move. I am always moving some part of my body. Even when sitting "still" I am bouncing my leg or tapping my fingers or something. I never completely stop, even when sleeping.

Yes, I'm sure I have, though I don't try to do this on purpose. I do tend to sometimes get that "cornered animal" feeling, though, and feel the need to do whatever makes the situation go away.

Greatly appreciated,
iLove

No problem. :cool:

B

brainheart

How do you view and handle theory? Depends on the theory. My own theories are my favorite! I can get tired of theory, though. I can't imagine having my life revolve around it. And I can't handle sitting around theorizing forever. After a minute I find my eyes roll and I'm just like, "What's the point?"

How does your Fi work in contrast to INFPs? Not sure. My guess is I am more likely to rescue an insect or get pissed off about someone cutting down a tree than becoming a social worker or working for policy change. I prefer isolated examples of physically helping something/ someone vs working with or creating a system to solve the problem. I'd say my Fi is fairly 'hands-on', if that makes any sense. And I have a bit more of 'punk rock' sensibility when it comes to it, maybe? Whatever that means... Mainly I would say my Fi is about living my life on my own terms, not according to societal dictates.

Do you enjoy science? Yes, but more like walking around outside and studying birds, animals, trees, etc. I'll wonder about the scientific answers to the questions that I have and then I'll go find out. I love observing nature. I did well in chemistry in high school- I was good at memorizing the formulas and the periodic table.

Do you enjoy philosophy? Yes and no. I like thinking 'big thoughts' and talking about them, but up to a point. If I'm reading philosophy it is harder for me to read than, say, a novel. I find myself tuning out and I have to read things a couple of times. But I can find it interesting. Sometimes.

What type of art do you enjoy? (Music, Poetry,Literature, Film, Drawing, Ect..) All that you mention, but especially music, literature, film, and art. I love some poetry, but some.... blegh. When it gets all symbolic and pretentious I find it tiresome. I like poetry when it's set to music- you know, a song. Also I could listen to Jack Kerouac read his stuff out loud all day.

Do you have a talent for drawing? Yes.

ISFP Stereotypes...Which ones do not fit? Hmm. I don't know what they all are specifically, but I'm pretty sure doing poorly in school and being perceived as dumb are a couple. I am not like that at all. But I also took the classes I knew I would do well at/ I was interested in. In other words, art, film, and literature. My favorite classes in college were film animation and entomology. And I'm decent with words.

What are your typical mannerisms? I grind my teeth and I have to doodle or I will fall asleep or not pay attention. I roll my eyes A LOT. I always have my fingers in my mouth if I am reading. I'll find myself breaking out into song in public places. Sometimes I just can't help myself. :blush:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I want to answer these questions as i took one of the tests on this site last night and came up as ISFP *Sigh* (More confusion).
Please tell me, by responses i do sound SFP?? :huh:

Theory is fine as long as i have some kind of interest in the subject beforehand or something has stroked my curiosity thus the need to find out the what/why/how.

My partner is an INFP and to my knowledge we both use Fi (he has assured me i am not a Fe dom). We both take information from the outside world and assess it according to our internal values. (I think that is how it works)

Do you enjoy science?

Yes, for the most part. Again down to my curious nature.

Do you enjoy philosophy?

I would of said no in the past. However it has been brought to my attention that i have discussions based on philosophical views. I think i am more aware than i give myself credit for. I heard someone on here talking about Nietzsche so i went onto Wiki to find out some more info. The book i am currently reading speaks of Kierkegaard so i will later on look him up on Wiki.
So i believe the answer is Yes.

I enjoy music (I saw Ludovico Einaudi in concert on Friday. Absolutely amazing), films and paintings. When i went to Edinburgh, into the Scottish National Gallery, i think i could of lived there forever and not been bored. Apparently i have a creative side that i haven't tapped into and i was speaking to my partner of what i would like to compose on canvas. He told me that what i would be doing is bringing together paint and sculpture and my ideas were in fact very abstract :shock: Lol

No.

Not sure. I haven't read up on ISFP's yet .. Only ESFP's :D

Confusion .. But i am very aware i am the 'actor' .. I adapt to situations and objectively view the bigger picture.

I don't need to be mean, just blunt and to the point.

So what do you think????
Thanks.

KDude

I would of said no in the past. However it has been brought to my attention that i have discussions based on philosophical views. I think i am more aware than i give myself credit for. I heard someone on here talking about Nietzsche so i went onto Wiki to find out some more info. The book i am currently reading speaks of Kierkegaard so i will later on look him up on Wiki.

I think Nietzsche and Kierkegaard both are easier to tolerate/digest for sensors than it is for other philosophers (the long winded epistemologists especially. I loathe that kind of stuff). Both are succinct, have a somewhat poetic/ passionate writing style, and both were mostly opposed to rationalism (but not empiricism). They also looked cool. Kierkegaard's hair was badass, and Neitzsche had a pretty righteous mustache going on. I wonder if these are characteristics of existentialists in general.. if that's the case, I wouldn't mind some philosophy either.