• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISFP and ESTP Realtionships

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Turns out i'm dating an ESTP not an ESTJ, so what is your experience between the two types? :)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Turns out i'm dating an ESTP not an ESTJ, so what is your experience between the two types? :)

I get along splendidly with ISFPs, they are nice and cool and sweet and funny and fun and all around good people.

I know them IRL, and virtually here.

ESTPs are fun. We're very active, always entertain our company, are good natured, productive, resourceful, generous, and can get along with anybody. It is really hard to piss us off, but when we do get pissed, we blow our top, and then quickly forgive and move forward. If your ESTP understands your need to have space nad recharge after socialization, that's great, if he doesn't then inform him as such and he will be happy to accomodate you. If you don't tell him of that need he might feel rejected when you need time to yourself. You're gonna have fun. :happy:

wolfy

awsm
Halla and I get along well. I'm sure we'd get along like a house on fire in real life.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFP & ESTP:
johnfkennedy_jaquelinekennedy_richardavedon01.jpg

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not quite sure if I've had any real life experience with ESTP's, though it's possible I have. I do know, however, that I get along great with the ESTP's here on the forum. :D

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
these are my parent's types (female isfp, male estp). It was my dad's second marriage (but I think he chose an sp both times!)

Despite both being "artisans" these are pretty darn opposite personality types within the realm of non-theorists... however it seems to work out. The "Pness" of our household has been known to drive myself and others crazy, but the good news is it doesn't bother them at all. :)

Each is comfortable in their own skin (my dad, the estp, particularly. Imperturbable as a rock), they know and appreciate the differences of the other, and seem to understand each other really well (this is important for not screwing things up). They do fight on occasion (money is the big thing... the isfp spends, the estp saves, saves, saves) but neither has a begrudging temper (the ISFP can sometimes seem to hold on to something, but it's usually more in a "I'm hurt and damaged by this because it's really important" way than a revenge or obsession type grudge). The most beautiful part of the relationship is when my mother plays music for my dad. Like they were made for each other!

ItsAlwaysSunny

MBTI Type
IDK
i think i may be an isfp and ive noticed that im always attracted to guys that seem like estps.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISFPs are GREAT. Just don't be needy or moody or oversensitive, and A-OK! ;)

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
i think i may be an isfp and ive noticed that im always attracted to guys that seem like estps.

Same here. I think it's their energy and confidence. The way many ESTPs carry themselves is pretty awesome.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My boss is ESTP with ISFP wife. Generally I'd say that their relationship is not good. He shuts down when he is around her (I don't think they are having sex either because she just verbally emasculates him).

Socionics describes these relations as supervision where ISFP is supervisor and ESTP is supervisee. Often attractive at first but goes downhill soon after: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/78-Supervision-relations

ISFPs supervise ESTPs and get supervised by ENFPs
ESTPs supervise INTPs and get supervised by ISFPs

ESFPs supervise INFPs and get supervised by ISTPs
ISTPs supervise ESFPs and get supervised by ENTPs

Last edited:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

My uncle is ESTP and is wife is ISFP. They get on beautifully. Lot of fun, inside jokes. He's the manly man entrepreneur, and she's the weird artsy-fartsy, girly girl. Easily one of the most fun, functional marriages I've ever seen.

My boss is ESTP with ISFP wife. Generally I'd say that their relationship is not good. He shut down when he is around her (I don't think they are having sex either because she just verbally emasculates him). Socionics describes these relations as supervision where ISFP is supervisor and ESTP is supervisee. Often attractive at first but goes downhill soon after: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/78-Supervision-relations

Yeah, my aunt definitely runs the show, but in a behind the scenes kind of way. It's not a problem if power flow in a relationship is more uni-directional if the two people are happy with it, and genuinely respect each other. My aunt always gets what she wants, but she'd never openly contradicts my uncle. If anything, she seems to like to make him feel like her Big Man by being generally helpless and vulnerable most of the time.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
My boss is ESTP with ISFP wife. Generally I'd say that their relationship is not good. He shut down when he is around her (I don't think they are having sex either because she just verbally emasculates him). Socionics describes these relations as supervision where ISFP is supervisor and ESTP is supervisee. Often attractive at first but goes downhill soon after: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/78-Supervision-relations

nope. ESTJ is ISFPs supervisor in socionics.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
nope. ESTJ is ISFPs supervisor in socionics.
Nope. Supervision happens when one type's dominant function is inverse of another type's tertiary function. That's exactly the case for ISFPs and ESTPs: ISTP is Fi dominant with is the inverse of ESTP's tertiary function (Fe).

Socionics ISFp is Si dominant and corresponds to ISFJ in MBTI i.e. ESTJs supervise ISFJs, ISFPs supervise ESTPs.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Nope. Supervision happens when one type's dominant function is inverse of another type's tertiary function. That's exactly the case for ISFPs and ESTPs: ISTP is Fi dominant with is the inverse of ESTP's tertiary function (Fe).

Socionics ISFp is Si dominant and corresponds to ISFJ in MBTI i.e. ESTJs supervise ISFJs, ISFPs supervise ESTPs.

Nope you're wrong in socionics ISFP supervisor is ESTJ read. http://www.socionics.us/relations.shtml#13 ISFPs aren't Fi in socionics they are Si dom....there is also no correspondence to MBTI with socionics the P and J are not switched only lazy people who fail to study socionics just like to say that. You're mixing up MBTI with socionics by calling ISFPs FI dom, and then inverting those functions with ESTP's tertiary (Fe) which makes no sense because MBTI and socionics are two completely separate systems. If you read "blocks of the psyche" in the Wikipedia socionics page it explains all that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socionics

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nope you're wrong in socionics ISFP supervisor is ESTJ read. http://www.socionics.us/relations.shtml#13
It is not ISFP but ISFp. The last letter is lower case to designate an important difference that you have apparently missed. In socionics j/p letters are not assigned the same way as in MBTI. You're a j-type if your dominant function is a judging one, like Te/Fe/Ti/Fi. Since ISFP is dominant in Fi it becomes ISFj in socionics. If you look at that chart ISFj, which is Fi-dom type, is supervisor to ESTP.

there is also no correspondence to MBTI with socionics the P and J are not switched only lazy people who fail to study socionics just like to say that.
I've studied both Socionics for over two years now and all I see is that you clearly don't know your basics and are mixing up types.

You're mixing up MBTI with socionics by calling ISFPs FI dom, and then inverting those functions with ESTP's tertiary (Fe) which makes no sense because MBTI and socionics are two completely separate systems. If you read "blocks of the psyche" in the Wikipedia socionics page it explains all that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socionics
No, MBTI's Fi-dom ISFP is not Socionics Si-dom ISFp. Same person cannot be both Fi and Si dominant type at the same time. Your argument is logically incoherent, as a result what you're saying is complete nonsense.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
http://forum.socionix.com/info/types/ISFP.htm
It is not ISFP but ISFp. The last letter is lower case to designate an important difference that you have apparently missed. In socionics j/p letters are not assigned the same way as in MBTI. You're a j-type if your dominant function is a judging one, like Te/Fe/Ti/Fi. Since ISFP is dominant in Fi it becomes ISFj in socionics. If you look at that chart ISFj, which is Fi-dom type, is supervisor to ESTP.

I've studied both Socionics for over two years now and all I see is that you clearly don't know your basics and are mixing up types.

No, MBTI's Fi-dom ISFP is not Socionics Si-dom ISFp. Same person cannot be both Fi and Si dominant type at the same time. Your argument is logically incoherent, as a result what you're saying is complete nonsense.

2 years is a long time for knowing nothing about socionics, good job. If you studied socionics well enough you would see that the definitions of the functions are different therefore they don't relate to MBTI at all. ISFP in socionics is ISFP in MBTI because Si in socionics is not the same definition of Si in MBTI the definitions of the functions are different between the two models. Aka both systems (MBTI and socioncs) have the same idea about the type but both have a different conception of how the functions work.

Socionics Si
"Si is responsible for perception of physical sensations; questions of comfort, coziness, and pleasure; and a sense of harmony and acclimation with one's environment (especially physical). Si understand how well a person or thing's behavior agrees with its nature as well as the differences between comfortable behaviors and positions and uncomfortable ones."

MBTI si

"Recalling past experiences, remembering detailed data and what it is linked to.
Being heavily influenced by prior experiences. Distrusting new information that doesn't match. Assuming an understanding of a situation because it resembles a prior one. Focusing on facts and stored data. Giving lots of specific, sequential details about something. Rating and making comparison."

Another thing you fail to understand is that socionics has no primary or secondary function they name their functions according to freud's theory of the psyche. "ego" "strong" "super ego" etc. This is a different system altogether, the two are incomparable since MBTi always states that the primary and secondary functions are the two "dominant" socionics doesn't follow that same rule. It's completely absurd to use the "intertpye relations" model that socionics came up for with Mbti (which you seem to do in your own imaginary world) because of these big differences. I could go into more detail but it's dumb to argue with somebody with such little knowledge and understanding of both models no point in wasting my time so I will leave it at that.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
2 years is a long time for knowing nothing about socionics, good job. If you studied socionics well enough you would see that the definitions of the functions are different therefore they don't relate to MBTI at all.
No, they aren't. Have you actually read the descriptions? Or are you just parroting a few uninformed posters post on here?

Take a look:

MBTI Fi:
Introverted Feeling is being aware of and cherishing one’s own mental framework of values, beliefs and sense of self. It is being open to emotions and inner sensations. It is also being sensitive to others in an empathetic way. It is knowing what is right and wrong according to one’s personal moral and spiritual compass. It is being authentic. As a gatekeeper of the mind; it admits what is consistent with one’s value and belief framework and rejects what is repulsive or draining. Introverted Feeling seeks harmony with others and harmony within. Introverted Feeling (Fi) is dominant in ISFP & INFP and supportive in ESFP & ENFP personality types.

Socionics Fi:
"Fi - introverted feeling, perceives subjective relationships between objects: feelings of attraction and repulsion, like and dislike, need and antipathy; morals" ... "Such an individual perceives information about this facet of objective reality the individual perceives as a need for certain objects that satisfy physical wishes/desires, psychological or spiritual desires, and a need for other people — in other words, a person's wishes/desires and interests that are directed toward animate and inanimate objects. This includes feelings of like and dislike, love and hatred, the desire to obtain some thing/object, etc., and greed or the absense of greed. The higher feelings of this kind can be called ethical, because relationships between people's needs are mainly regulated by ethical normals."

Both definitions are aiming to describe at exactly the same phenomenon, the function of introverted feeling, but simply using different words to get the meaning across. It is also the very same function that Carl Jung has tried to describe in his book Psychological Types on which both MBTI and Socionics are based. Those who fail to see beyond mere words into the very root of subject matter also fail to see that these descriptions are phenomenologically same.

... the definitions of the functions are different between the two models. Aka both systems (MBTI and socioncs) have the same idea about the type but both have a different conception of how the functions work.
No. It sounds like you're getting stuck in semantics of descriptions and do not comprehend that these phenomena that MBTI and Socionics (and Jung before them) attempt to describe are in reality the very same cognitive functions.

Another thing you fail to understand is that socionics has no primary or secondary function they name their functions according to freud's theory of the psyche. "ego" "strong" "super ego" etc.
And once again you're getting lost in semantics. Exactly same concepts exist in socionics, just under different names. In Socionics leading function is called base, auxiliary is called creative. It does not matter what they are named as they operate in the same way.

This is a different system altogether, the two are incomparable since MBTi always states that the primary and secondary functions are the two "dominant" socionics doesn't follow that same rule.
Wow, you are so mis-informed it is amazing. Socionics types have leading and creative functions in ego block i.e. are the two "dominant" functions of the type. Same as MBTI as you can see.

It's completely absurd to use the "intertpye relations" model that socionics came up for with Mbti (which you seem to do in your own imaginary world) because of these big differences. I could go into more detail but it's dumb to argue with somebody with such little knowledge and understanding of both models no point in wasting my time so I will leave it at that.
Nope. Same intertype relations that Socionics predicts also unfold in MBTI. There are some very bright posters on this and other MBTI forums who have noted that types get attracted to types who have their tertiary function as dominant or auxiliary. Well that's exactly the same thing that Socionics describes by way of Hidden Agenda.

Anyways I am not going to continue with this discussion as it sounds like you have little conceptual understanding of these models that you're attempting to discuss here and are would rather debate mere semantics and wordings, which I frankly find boring and pointless.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
MBTI Fi:
Introverted Feeling is being aware of and cherishing one’s own mental framework of values, beliefs and sense of self. It is being open to emotions and inner sensations. It is also being sensitive to others in an empathetic way. It is knowing what is right and wrong according to one’s personal moral and spiritual compass. It is being authentic. As a gatekeeper of the mind; it admits what is consistent with one’s value and belief framework and rejects what is repulsive or draining. Introverted Feeling seeks harmony with others and harmony within. Introverted Feeling (Fi) is dominant in ISFP & INFP and supportive in ESFP & ENFP personality types.

Socionics Fi:
"Fi - introverted feeling, perceives subjective relationships between objects: feelings of attraction and repulsion, like and dislike, need and antipathy; morals" ... "Such an individual perceives information about this facet of objective reality the individual perceives as a need for certain objects that satisfy physical wishes/desires, psychological or spiritual desires, and a need for other people — in other words, a person's wishes/desires and interests that are directed toward animate and inanimate objects. This includes feelings of like and dislike, love and hatred, the desire to obtain some thing/object, etc., and greed or the absense of greed. The higher feelings of this kind can be called ethical, because relationships between people's needs are mainly regulated by ethical normals."

That's funny because I never said anything about Fi at all, I was talking about Si yet you bring Fi into the matter. It's not Fi that socionics and MBTI stuggle with it's Si. The definitions of Si are different. It's funny how you try and turn things around that you can't explain.

No. It sounds like you're getting stuck in semantics of descriptions and do not comprehend that these phenomena that MBTI and Socionics (and Jung before them) attempt to describe are in reality the very same cognitive functions.

It seems as though semantics and descriptions is something that you can't comprehend properly because there is a clear cut difference in the description of SI in mbti and socionics that are different from one another. Not everybody interprets words in the exact same way both socionics and MBTI are proof of this due to their different modeling system of Jung's theory.

And once again you're getting lost in semantics. Exactly same concepts exist in socionics, just under different names. In Socionics leading function is called base, auxiliary is called creative. It does not matter what they are named as they operate in the same way.[/I]

This is a false assumption you can't just assume they operate in the same way, they are two different systems with different meanings attached to them. You have to understand what the theorists are talking about and referencing before you make assumptions about their thoery. If you read the socionics description about it's 8th function you would see that they claim the 8th function (FI in ISFP) is just as strong as their primary(ego) function. MBTI makes no reference of the 8th function being just as strong as their primary. In socionics ISFP DO have FI seen as strong but it's not seen as their primary function. You clearly live in your own bubble not everyone interprets theory in the same way.