• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTPs and reading people

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
"ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation."

Describe what this is like for you, especially in comparison to how others around you perceive the same social situation. How does this make you "feel"? For you, is the bolded portion true--do you always use what you know for yourself? Why or why not?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation."

I'll agree to the above with the addition of one word:

"ESTPs CAN use this ability to get what they want out of a situation."

The mode of operation described above is in fact our default means of interacting with the world. But, all humans have the capability to decide how they use their skills. Some will choose to use their powers for good, and others will not. I myself like to sleep well at night, so I have never abused my powers of observation/persuasion.

Describe what this is like for you, especially in comparison to how others around you perceive the same social situation.

Social Situations: Not so much an issue. I live to have fun, to have new and interesting experiences, to help others, and to make the world a better place. If I pick up on the fact that someone I a mproximal to has extra tickets to a game before others do, I will pounce on it. I'll pay what they are worth, but the early bird gets the worm, and I don't like sitting in the nosebleed section. Personally I love having such skills, as it allows me to be a very animated and funny person as I can predict what direction a crowd is going and steer it into uncharted hilarious territory. I love to hear people laugh. I've always loved a crowd.

Business Situations: I will do what is needed to accomplish my objective. Early on in my career I made it a point to never work for an organization that produced a product or performed services that I did not agree with. So, by virtue of the fact that I have faith in my ability to select the right positions in my career at the right organizations, that frees me to leverage my skills to get the job done and not have to think about it too much, with regard to "feeling guilty" or what have you. I am efficient, I am effective, and I do not needlessly mow over other people just to perform at a high standard. But don't piss me off or screw me over, because I will open up a can of whoop ass if I need to. :D

How does this make you "feel"?

FANTASTIC!!! :happy2:

For you, is the bolded portion true--do you always use what you know for yourself? Why or why not?

I do when I want to or need to, for myslef, or those who I have chosen to serve in the course of my employment. Like anyone else, I must earn my daily bread, and I will use the tools I have at my disposal to do so in order to feed my wife and kids.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Early on in my career I made it a point to never work for an organization that produced a product or performed services that I did not agree with.

I find myself saying that A LOT. "If I don't agree with it, I'm not participating." If I don't agree with a company's policies, I won't work for them, nor will I use their products. If I don't agree with what a professor is teaching, I'll speak up or walk out. If I don't agree with a wedding and am positive that they're just going to get divorced within the year, I'm not going to bother going.

I refuse to even give the impression that I support something when I feel the opposite.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find myself saying that A LOT. "If I don't agree with it, I'm not participating." If I don't agree with a company's policies, I won't work for them, nor will I use their products. If I don't agree with what a professor is teaching, I'll speak up or walk out. If I don't agree with a wedding and am positive that they're just going to get divorced within the year, I'm not going to bother going.

I refuse to even give the impression that I support something when I feel the opposite.

THIS. 100% Exactly! :nice:

Further evidence that you and were cloned from some common genetic material. :yes:

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
THIS. 100% Exactly! :nice:

Further evidence that you and were cloned from some common genetic material. :yes:

Well I AM technically related to an entire town in Florida...XD

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Se-Ti is perfect for identifying and assessing situations in terms of how they can be moved and changed for some kind of result. This includes people. It's often the reason STPs are known for being superb tacticians.

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP

Describe what this is like for you, especially in comparison to how others around you perceive the same social situation. How does this make you "feel"? For you, is the bolded portion true--do you always use what you know for yourself? Why or why not?

I wouldn't say that ability is uncanny. I just know what people think and what their attitudes are. My sister doesn't perceive that kind of stuff and my ENTP friend only does because she has educated herself in body language and stuff like that.
Although I have read that kind of books, I don't need them.

I just know what other people are feeling - most people are so obvious.

I would like to say that I use this to my advantage, but truth is that most of the time I am indifferent to what I notice. I seldom have such strong impulses to manipulate the situation to my interest and most of these times it is way out of my hand.
Sometimes I feel hurt by what I notice. This is nasty and sometimes there is no way around this.

The worst part of perceiving others' attitudes is when I can't do anything about it. It feels helpless and sometimes I wish I weren't that observant. Other people live happily in their unawareness. Not being able to do anything truly kills me. Ignorance is bliss.
I wish I could perfect my prowess in turning the situation to the direction I want.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ESTP friends are very keen and observant with motivations and people. They pick up on this amazingly accurately. I'm a little jealous. Shhh....

Whereas if we are all hanging out I notice it takes longer for my ESTP friends to notice where things are if they've changed or where people go off too. My ESTP friend has called me "eagle-eye" on more than one occasion. Basically, what I notice first is secondary to his observation abilities and vice versa. Together we cover the bases ;)