• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Other ISFPs: What do you do?

ChazzMichaels

MBTI Type
ISFP
For work, I mean....At this point I need to think about a career but I don't even know what to major in, and I have changed it four or five times. Any advice? Just curious what other ISFPs enjoy in a career.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
My sister is an ISFP. She works in a bank, and kind of likes it. I think that's mostly because she appreciates the security of an extremely structured job, and she is appreciated by her boss. Who just told her that he is separating from his wife and not to tell anyone. The sleazy bastard. :steam:

To be honest, I don't think it's a job she would've chosen straight out of high-school. But she had some tough years doing shitty jobs with no security. I guess working for an extremely structured organization looks a lot like a career. If she'd been male she might have joined the army.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
For work, I mean....At this point I need to think about a career but I don't even know what to major in, and I have changed it four or five times. Any advice? Just curious what other ISFPs enjoy in a career.

One of my colleagues counsels underprivileged children and helps to establish vocational connections for their parents.

She's quite good at it. She has a natural plumage of empathy and insight that allows for some impressive results.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
My ISFP ex boyfriend was a professional snowboarder and painted his friends' beer pong tables in his spare time. His college degree was in Studio Art.

My other ISFP ex boyfriend worked a lot of odd jobs (mainly landscaping or construction) and made movies in his spare time. His college degree was in Communications / Multimedia Studies. He also worked for the TV Station on his college campus - mainly filming stuff.

pocket lint

MBTI Type
isxp

What majors did you go through?

I started out as an Anthropology/Art History major. I was and still am passionate about both. I wanted to be a museum curator since I was in middle school, but I did tons of research and found out that 1) positions open every 10 years (when someone dies or retires) 2) there would be a hierarchy of people ahead of me waiting for the slot 3) collecting debt... PhD needed for the position 4) low salary 5) parents weren't supportive

Then, I listened to my family and switched to a Business major. I finished two semesters worth of business classes, and liked that it was safe and practical, but for the most part, I was miserable! I knew had to leave because I felt like I had been suppressing my creativity.

I figured that I needed to go back to art and do something more "hands-on", so I started over and switched to Graphic Design (with business as a minor instead). I am satisfied with this decision, and I know it is just right this time! :D I think deep down, I knew that I would do something art-related... I just had to stop listening to other people, LOL.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Have you considered nursing? Nurses make great money here in the states and you only need a 2-year degree.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I build balloons and pipe bombs for a company who requests I don't disclose the name of.

They're not like party baloons though. They're more like heavy duty weather resistant balloons. I think in another part of the plant they attach the balloons and bombs together and then release them, out into the blue sky and blow up whoever they reach. Kinda like the idea of a balloon letter, except this kind kills people.

Neat huh?

ChazzMichaels

MBTI Type
ISFP
Hey, thanks for the response guys! Yeah, in highschool I worked in landscaping and for a few summer camps. After highschool I worked for LLBean putting the little monogrammed names on back packs, I also worked as a nurses assistant for a little while in a mental hospital (creepy, esp. 3rd shift.) Bombs? Err.. yeah dabbled in that until a friend of mine's fingers were blown off (he made it.) Haven't been in that since. In college I originally signed up for pre-med, mostly for my parents who wanted me to. I excelled in my classes but really could not see myself as a doctor, I did not like having to write papers and the whole school experience, it seemed so irrelevant to a career in medicine. I wanted to learn what I NEEDED to know.. anatomy physiology, pathology, etc... but, like the intro to communications class I took, WTF! Why am I putting myself through this? Next, I chose Physical Therapy but then again they increased the education requirements to a 6 year degree from 4 (I don't want to spend that kind of time). Then I became fascinated with an old hobby of mine, cars. Hardly a glorious choice of major after the previous for my parents. They still try to talk me out of it including my ISTJ? father who was an aircraft mechanic! Now I am exploring a BS in Biology since my credits point in that direction already. I know I need to grow a backbone and do what I want but.... what the $#@$ do I want! Thanks for some pointers though! I think MBTI has saved my sanity in this apparently XSTJ world.

arborvitae

MBTI Type
ISFP
I was pre-med and majoring in Neuroscience at a preppy liberal arts college, but I was miserable with that. I had always done well in school and I got satisfaction out of being successful, so I assumed I was academically-minded. It turned out I had no real passion for Neuroscience, and I decided being a doctor wasn't the lifestyle I wanted. Too much school, and my life would have been more focused on career than family and hobbies.

For a while I considered Physical Therapy, but finally decided on Nursing because its more flexible. I definitely lean towards health professions. I love the idea of helping in tangible and necessary ways. Plus, there's a lot of job stability.

Seems like a lot of other ISFPs gravitate towards careers that give them an artistic outlet. Either way, I think its a good idea to do something that lets you work with your hands. I don't think I could handle a job that required a lot of abstract theorizing and philosophizing. Give me bed pans and smelly old people!

Good luck :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm the office manager for the local Subway sandwiches franchise. (Eat fresh!) Which means I do a ton of paperwork for 20 different Subway locations like payroll, inventory reports, sales analysis reports, daily status reports, promotions reports, summaries of product transfers, etc. I also order all the supplies for the office and office-type supplies for the stores like uniforms, paper, pens, staplers, tape, and so on. I answer all three of the phone lines usually and direct the call accordingly. Line 1 is the outside line with calls from customers, businesses we deal with, people requesting donations, telamarketers, and such. Line 3 is the store business line where I take morning reports, answer questions about paperwork and retail network-related stuff and small talk with the managers that I like. ;) Line 2 is the top-secret line only for a select few who know the code. And apparently for recordings about updating my auto warranty.

Whenever a manager wants to hire a new employee, they have to go through me, as I check to make sure all their paperwork is complete and correct, and if not, I throw it back in their face and laugh maniacally, telling them "come back when it's right, rookie! STEP YO GAME UP!" :D

I also do some data entry as I keep all the employee files up to date, the monthly sales summary reports updated, and occasionally make memos about various paperwork or computer issues.

I know a lot of that probly sounds pretty boring, but it's a pretty fast-paced environment so I always stay on my toes, at any given moment I could be working on a report, answering phone calls, sending data over the network on the computer to a location or more, and having in-depth philisophical conversations with my co-workers. ;) So, for the most part I like my job. There are sucky things about it like any job, but I certainly like it a lot better than cleaning grease traps or doing boring phone surveys, which are both things I have done in past jobs.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I reccommend getting out there and actually trying stuff. I had no idea I loved taking care of sick people so much until I actually had to do it for a while. Then I realized I was meant to be in the medical field (I'm in school to become a nurse). You don't have to feel pressured to pick something right away. You still got some time. Experiment. See what you like. And remember that even if you pick something you don't have to stick with it if you don't want to. I'll probably change my career at least 3 times...I love change.

Oh and I agree with the poster that mentioned doing stuff with your hands...I definitely reccommend trying that type of stuff out. For some reason I really love having tangible results...I think it's the way us ISFPs are wired.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What majors did you go through?

I started out as an Anthropology/Art History major. I was and still am passionate about both. I wanted to be a museum curator since I was in middle school, but I did tons of research and found out that 1) positions open every 10 years (when someone dies or retires) 2) there would be a hierarchy of people ahead of me waiting for the slot 3) collecting debt... PhD needed for the position 4) low salary 5) parents weren't supportive

Then, I listened to my family and switched to a Business major. I finished two semesters worth of business classes, and liked that it was safe and practical, but for the most part, I was miserable! I knew had to leave because I felt like I had been suppressing my creativity.

I figured that I needed to go back to art and do something more "hands-on", so I started over and switched to Graphic Design (with business as a minor instead). I am satisfied with this decision, and I know it is just right this time! :D I think deep down, I knew that I would do something art-related... I just had to stop listening to other people, LOL.

Hopefully you're less starving and more artist. I can't say the same for myself...starving artist strife. :sad: I'm beginning to sell my art on ebay though. :):)

I'm Sunshine btw. Hi.

wolfy

awsm
I work as a gym instructor and personal trainer. I really like it, the sales side of PT kind of sucks though. Designing training programs and working one to one is cool.
I used to work as a baker and I really liked that. There is a real craft to it, but the industry has become so automised now it's no fun.

If I was starting out again I would get a career/personality testing done professionally and work from there. I'd like to do this one.

I found this book helped me a lot.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I'm a youth services librarian. Contrary to what you may think about librarians based on reading a few books and movies, we do not sit around reading books all day, nor do we get terribly bent out of shape by noise. Our library system is the busiest and the most user-friendly in the state I live in, and we are constantly changing in order to meet the needs of library users.

I spend a lot of my day planning, presenting and promoting programs for kids of all ages, from babies to teenagers. (Yes, we get our hooks into 'em while they're still infants, so as to make them lifelong library users.. heh heh heh!) Some of my day has to be spent on the reference desk, helping people find what they need. I bet you can guess which I prefer more.

Everyone's concept of "library" depends on what they grew up with, or where they live now, but those of us who work in a busy urban setting get constant variety (and I do mean constant) and a lot of opportunities to make an tangible immediate impact on others. Doesn't hurt that we get to do so in a way that's fun. I get paid to entertain kids with puppets and make them roll arond on the floor with laughter. They pay me to go to schools so I can whip those first-graders up in a frenzy of lusting after getting their own library card (yow!) I get paid to get hugs and artwork from kids because they love "Mithith Sawah". I get paid to wear my jams for part of the day doing pajama storytimes. I get paid to sing, dance, dress in costumes, solve computer problems (by the seat of my pants -- I'm no computer expert, even if I do let people believe that), and do art and craft programs. I get paid to run Wii tournaments for teens. I love my job! :heart:

On the other hand, I'm realy bad at organizing, and I hate "collection maintenance" (aka ordering books in a timely manner), and whenever the circulation staff needs help shelving, I dread it because shelving is mind-numbingly boring.

(ps: I majored in fine art in college and didn't know what to do with that after I graduated. I didn't want to do commercial art, so I reluctantly went back to school and got my masters' degree in lbirary science in order to get a "day job" that wasn't too strenuous and promised to be only 40 hours a week -- so I could spend my private time doing art. I'm glad I found out that my job could be a lot more than just a paycheck!)

Sarah
ISFP

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a recent marketing graduate, career wise it's not going so well, I sort of fell into a marketing major because I enjoyed the creative side of it but should have probably thought about the moral side of it a bit more and considered that working for big heartless corporations is the only real way to forge a career out of it. *sigh*

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm the office manager for the local Subway sandwiches franchise. (Eat fresh!) Which means I do a ton of paperwork for 20 different Subway locations like payroll, inventory reports, sales analysis reports, daily status reports, promotions reports, summaries of product transfers, etc. I also order all the supplies for the office and office-type supplies for the stores like uniforms, paper, pens, staplers, tape, and so on. I answer all three of the phone lines usually and direct the call accordingly. Line 1 is the outside line with calls from customers, businesses we deal with, people requesting donations, telamarketers, and such. Line 3 is the store business line where I take morning reports, answer questions about paperwork and retail network-related stuff and small talk with the managers that I like. ;) Line 2 is the top-secret line only for a select few who know the code. And apparently for recordings about updating my auto warranty.

:horor: That job would drive me completely insane!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom spent most of her life as a nurse. She eventually switched to teaching. She loves both. She loves the "hands on" aspect of both jobs.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
:horor: That job would drive me completely insane!

Wow, yeah, Jeffster, I have to hand it to you -- you sound incredibly organized! :shock: Or if not so, able to at least convince others you are. Reading over your description of your job, I think I'd make a complete mess of it if I were in that position.

Sarah
ISFP

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, yeah, Jeffster, I have to hand it to you -- you sound incredibly organized! :shock: Or if not so, able to at least convince others you are. Reading over your description of your job, I think I'd make a complete mess of it if I were in that position.

Where did I say I haven't made a complete mess of it? :laugh:

Even though I may complain about him, I'm actually pretty fortunate to have an SP for a boss. If I have the report that he needs ready when he needs it, then he's pretty much happy. If I don't, then he's pissed. My desk can be a complete disaster area as long as I am able to produce what he needs when he needs it. When my yearly evaluation rolls around, he tends to have to sort of make up stuff he wants me to improve on so he'll have something to put on there, but it's usually really vague stuff like "in the next year, I would like for Jeff to work on improving the efficiency of the office." ;)

I actually have a pretty darn good job, I'm quite thankful for it, even if I'd rather be at Disneyworld. :)