• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs- Do you like deep, intellectual conversations?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Don't take offense at that question- but I'm wondering if this is something you enjoy. Being that you seem to be more fun seeking, go with the flow types, does that thought of getting deep on a non F, intellectual topic turn you off?

Thanks!

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It clearly depends on my mood. I find it difficult at times though, so I flip the switch and make the converstation more light hearted. I don't know why exactly I feel the need to make it more light hearted, I just guess it's the whole "Don't take life too seriously" approach I use.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Depends on my mood and the topic, give us some examples.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It really depends. I think I'm more interested in 'deep' conversation if its about a specific issue or topic I enjoy. If its so incredibly boring than I'm just not that into it. I think another reason why sometimes I just don't is because I feel like I don't have enough information to truly converse in depth about certain things. I tend to feel 'dumb' if I don't know what I'm talking about.
Ideally, I enjoy just making things light with regular aquatints and going deeper with people I'm really in tune with already or really close with.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It really depends. I think I'm more interested in 'deep' conversation if its about a specific issue or topic I enjoy. If its so incredibly boring than I'm just not that into it. I think another reason why sometimes I just don't is because I feel like I don't have enough information to truly converse in depth about certain things. I tend to feel 'dumb' if I don't know what I'm talking about.
Ideally, I enjoy just making things light with regular aquatints and going deeper with people I'm really in tune with already or really close with.

+1

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sure, if it's about me.

Or possibly boobs.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My ISFP friend does so long as it leads to something more tangible for her.

For example: she and I had a discussion about the conventions of beauty and all the issues that surround it. Her response before long was that she should make a documentary (she has studied documentary making at Uni) about it and interview lots of women on their feelings and experiences. This idea and all its possibilities made her very excited. Her huge inspirational leaps always amuse and impress me. :D

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
some of my best and deepest conversations were with ISFPs. i feel like if you can get in synch with ISFPs and engage them in a very personal and close way you can have amazing and mind-expanding conversations. ISFPs have pretty unique insight, i think.
but my wife is an ISFP, so i am biased. hahaha!

Yes and no, don't ask me why.

what kind of an answer is that? you are just begging for someone to play devils's advocate and demand you explain.
;)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
My ISFP friend loves intellectual conversation to a degree. I think he sees it as just another thing to explore. Of course he doesn't always care much for precision or accuracy, he is more of an idea person, so if the conversation starts getting too detailed he loses interest.

wolfy

awsm
what kind of an answer is that? you are just begging for someone to play devils' advocate and demand you explain.
;)

Now I've gone and done it!

I do like intellectual conversations, it depends on the subject. I can talk your ear off or you might just get a couple of words. I definitely like to think about things like that and enjoy time lost in thought thinking an idea through. Putting ideas in a way that others can understand can be a grind. It is not that my thoughts are so profound, it is just that is simply fun to just think and then move on.

Having to explain yourself can be a pain in the ass.

NeverAmI

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The yes and no makes sense for ISFP considering that Ni is our tertiary process and can be attributed many times to "deep thought."

Some say the tertiary function in MBTI is commonly either on or off. If that applied, then it makes sense that some days we are deep, some days we most certainly aren't and there isn't a whole lot of middle ground.

An ISFP that hasn't focused on building Ni (And Ne) will have a hard time following and enjoying intellectual discussions.

An ISFP that has developed Ni and Ne will definitely be able to follow and contribute to these types of discussions, but may bore easily if the conversation doesn't seem to have enough practical application or isn't making enough progress I.E. talking in circles.

I personally loathe beaurocracy and if an intellectual/deep conversation has any sign of either ego, power struggles, or anything else that doesn't advance our knowledge and the truth of the situation, then I have no interest.

Most times I would be content to joke around with friends and be my goofy self.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It just has to be tangible. If it doesn't really apply to anything or if it isn't relevant to my interests I get bored very, very quickly.

KDude

I do like sharing core thoughts/ideals, but not for long. I *believe* that I sometimes provoke people to dwell on the subject, inquire for more, or challenge, but at that point, I'm already kind of gone. I can talk forever about, say, bands, or foods, or some kind of relationship help for a friend.. But too much theorizing makes me weary. And I'm definitely like the ISFP's mentioned who tend to brush over details.

KDude

Just to add.. It is strange that I'm big on details when it comes to actions/work/or even just chilling out and taking everything in. And dear lord, I'm my own worst enemy sometimes if I want to create, and have faulty tools (like, say, a fucked up guitar amp).

Conversationally though, especially with theorizing, my need for details is just not there.

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
It really depends on the subject...but that can be said for anything.

I can't stand philosophical conversations...I don't want to argue over how we were created or "life purpose" or what not--let's just have some fun while we're here damn it!

Though I do get interested in religious conversations and how it interacts with culture and the impact it has had throughout history...so some stuff, yeah. Usually not for long periods of time. And if I'm even listening to a political conversation and it gets heated...it angers me even though I've never said a word the whole time.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
It just has to be tangible. If it doesn't really apply to anything or if it isn't relevant to my interests I get bored very, very quickly.

I can't stand philosophical conversations...I don't want to argue over how we were created or "life purpose" or what not--let's just have some fun while we're here damn it!

Though I do get interested in religious conversations and how it interacts with culture and the impact it has had throughout history...so some stuff, yeah. Usually not for long periods of time. And if I'm even listening to a political conversation and it gets heated...it angers me even though I've never said a word the whole time.

Yup... This has been a point of frustration with my ISFP bf and I actually.

Doesn't like talking about theories, possibilities, ideas, or the way things work/happen which I find fascinating. (even in fields he's deeply immersed in) The absolute last topic he'd ever want to talk about would be the meaning of life and how people think.

Anything that's not literal here and now seems to be highly boring to him. Business, economics, cultures, entrepreneur ideas, processes, science, yeah...

But then I wonder what the definition of "deep intellectual conversations" actually is, because could be different for types. :shock:

For me, it seems to be a complete lack of Ti and Ni which I love talking about. Ni things fascinate me especially. But these are type specific. I feel like there is really no more depth to him beyond where we are, and I have a whole other private half of myself I haven't been able to share yet.

Last edited:

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
I have little patience for deep intellectual conversations because in my experience people like to hear themselves speak in this kind of interaction, and then the conversation goes off the track into La La Land.