• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs. Come here. NOW.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Go to a car show, endless amount of straight faced machine whisperers there

Me and an ISTP buddy went to a car show, spent hours walking around and checking things out. Even took his toddler along so that the little dude could see some real "Cars". ref kids movie.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:yes:
In a bar? If there is a unoccupied pool table it won't be that way for long.

In a room full of people? The quiet one who is looking around like they are going to steal something and laughing at nearby conversations even though they aren't actively involved in them.

Oh. Also the person who leaves a party without saying goodbye to anyone.

This too.

Amazes me you think of stuff I'll read and thing...omfg I do that!?!

Things I wouldn't naturally think of.

In a bar? Pool table *check* there's either got to be a pool table or a live band. Or some good food, with some kind of activity coming up on the schedule.

Yeh, never occurs to me to say goodbye. When I was younger I used to throw huge parties and then go do something else.

Then when we'd return to the party, whoever was along would make up a "stud story" so we'd have something to entertain everybody with in explaining why we were gone for so long.

Weird. :yes:

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
In a room full of people? The quiet one who is looking around like they are going to steal something and laughing at nearby conversations even though they aren't actively involved in them.

Haha, I laughed out loud with these.

Regarding the goodbyes, it actually occurred to me that it wouldn't be nice if I do not say it, but then I would start thinking "why should people care" and "I don't really know them" and then I just... don't.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Regarding the goodbyes, it actually occurred to me that it wouldn't be nice if I do not say it, but then I would start thinking "why should people care" and "I don't really know them" and then I just... don't.

Yeah. It doesn't hurt that saying goodbye involves 10 minutes of awkwardly declining people's protestations to stay or their interrogation of why you're leaving so soon. That can be more draining than the socializing!

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
McRumi probably just owned this thread. But yes, funny one-liners. For me, usually in a bookstore. Occasionally outside (I like quiet walks). My ISTP cousin likes photography. *shrug*

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah. It doesn't hurt that saying goodbye involves 10 minutes of awkwardly declining people's protestations to stay or their interrogation of why you're leaving so soon. That can be more draining than the socializing!

long goodbyes are the worst. especially with family. and then they start to tear up.... who needs that?
long goodbyes are uncomfortable.

when my grandfather (who was an ISTP) visited people, he would always leave incredibly early before anyone could get up to say goodbye to him. like at 3 AM.
i remember once he left my house before i got home (i was out all night). haha.

phoenity

Where the hell are you? I'm interested atleast meeting ONE ISTP in my lifetime (I swear I have yet to meet one), but where do I look? Is there a certain distinct behavior in ISTPs that I can look for?

I'm sure you've come across a few. You just weren't paying attention.

Pay attention to their attention. You might be it.

Watch for the quiet but intense eyes.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
ISTPs can also be found at any pinball machine.

btw..the leaving without saying goodbye thing is dead-on.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
ISTPs can also be found at any pinball machine.

btw..the leaving without saying goodbye thing is dead-on.

When I was about 5 years old my parents had some people over for dinner. One lady comes up to me and says "Oh, you don't say hello?" and I replied with "And I don't say goodbye either."

Guilty as charged, altho I'm better about it now. :yes:

Trepidation

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Haha! Examples please? :)

Dunno about others here, but I like short responses that make people see something in a different light (and with any luck, make it look ridiculous). I also like sexual innuendo, but that's just because I'm immature and need to grow up ;)

This isn't the best example, but it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head:
Someone: "I seriously think 2012 is going to happen." (y'know, world ending, blah blah blah)
Me: "Yeah, it will come right after 2011 and just before 2013."

Not the funniest, but he got angry with me :D
If he was my friend, he would've understood that it's just what I do and I don't mean any offence by it.

In a bar? If there is a unoccupied pool table it won't be that way for long.

Umm... I'd really appreciate it if you stopped stalking me, OK?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No ISTP to be found in that previous post at all. :huh:

j/k

:)

Abuwabu

MBTI Type
ISTP
Get to the beach on a surf day and I bet ya 50% of the surfers are ISTP

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?
If you hear a devastating one-liner come from someone who is otherwise quiet, your search is over.

Yes, second this. I distinctly remember one of my middle school teachers saying I had a quip for everything.

Also second the not saying goodbye. I absolutely dread goodbyes at social events. I would pay good money to be able to just disappear from a room like in Bewitched. Such a relief there are other people out there that feel this way, too!

Oh and second laughing at nearby conversations even though they aren't actively involved in them! Why do I do this??

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dunno about others here, but I like short responses that make people see something in a different light (and with any luck, make it look ridiculous). I also like sexual innuendo, but that's just because I'm immature and need to grow up ;)

This isn't the best example, but it's the only one I can think of off the top of my head:
Someone: "I seriously think 2012 is going to happen." (y'know, world ending, blah blah blah)
Me: "Yeah, it will come right after 2011 and just before 2013."

Not the funniest, but he got angry with me :D
If he was my friend, he would've understood that it's just what I do and I don't mean any offence by it.

Umm... I'd really appreciate it if you stopped stalking me, OK?

I respond similiar. Me and my son were talkng and I told him he made no sense, then when he responded that he made sense, it caused change to pop into my mind and I asked if he makes quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies and when he said no I said "see you make no cents".

I dont think this is necessarily ISTP though. I picked this up from my family, so not sure what type actually saying these things are. My dad and grandpa is IxTJ.

TheGolfCourse

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hahaha, ISTPs are among my favorites. I guess my "type vibes" by speech and look. And in my opinion, when ISTPs interact with other types, they have a tendency to be annoying in a way that they don't perceive to be annoying. But I love that at the same time! Read:

(on a bus ride)
Me: So, what do you want to be when you grow up?
ISTP girl: Happy.

Me: What should we eat for breakfast?
ISTP brother: I don't know.
Me: Do you want food? ( I decide to toy with him)
ISTP brother: I guess. (I lose this one, but I don't always lose heh heh)

ISTP girl: People go up to me and they're like "oh, you draw so well, can you draw me something?" No, this isn't a circus show. Or, okay, I'll draw you something, but you can pay me.

It's hilarious when they're difficult. To me, ISTPs are "casually" intense, pretty reserved and yet not quite detached, and pretty matter-of-fact.

how2find: really, they're going to be all over the place, not just monster truck rallies or bars and stuff like that. You kinda have to just guess their vibe. It's more important than going to a certain location.

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTP girl: People go up to me and they're like "oh, you draw so well, can you draw me something?" No, this isn't a circus show. Or, okay, I'll draw you something, but you can pay me.

This made me laugh. It's something I would say.

It's hilarious when they're difficult. To me, ISTPs are "casually" intense, pretty reserved and yet not quite detached, and pretty matter-of-fact.

I like this description.

On a personal side note: I mainly and unintentionally surround myself with extroverts. I've found INTJ's are the only introverts that I hit it off with immediately.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

Very true...HOWEVER...if no one asks, ISTPs will draw something for everyone in the room as a surprise. LOVE performance, but only spur of the moment, not by command or request.

351Stang

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Very true...HOWEVER...if no one asks, ISTPs will draw something for everyone in the room as a surprise. LOVE performance, but only spur of the moment, not by command or request.

Ya, thats a pretty major part of our personality IMO, if you can figure that one out without it being said directly, you're good in my books.
Here's an example from my highly anticipated upcoming auto-biography for all you fans out there...;)

A couple weekends ago i'm at my local hangout/ bar and had my tab with the one waitress that was serving my groups entire table. Well the group i was with decided to leave early so while they're all paying their bills for the night i happened to notice some other people i knew on the other side of the bar. Not planning to charge anything else to my bill for the night, i decide to pull up a chair at the other table and pay my bill later when the line isn't so busy. Well, after the waitress is done with them she walks directly over to me and says "you can pay your bill, now." in a sort of impatiant demanding tone.
Now, if your an ISTP you'll understand how that sentence said that way could be a bit of a deal breaker... So i casually told her, "k, transfer it to her. Have a good night." and turned back around, she didn't like that.
Fastforward to the next weekend, i get the same waitress and changed tables again. This time she asked with no expectations, "do you want to transfer your bill tonight?" I paid it right away with a GOOD tip in her name that time. She's one of those people who "got it", and we've had some fun times since that happened.