• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Do ISTPs with well developed Ni and Fe start acting like xNFJs?

R

Riva

The title sounds so boring. I know.

Can't help it.

------------------------------------------------

Needs feedback from MBTI experts.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
While it is theoretically possible that anyone with balance could use any function, I don't think it turns out that types end up "looking" like such a different type. Normally, the person would still seem like an ISTP, however they'll just be more effective at Ni-Fe use.

If their behavior changes so much that you notice a switch, I'd suggest Ni-Fe is actually poorly developed and is immaturely emerging in response to stress. But I don't know the specifics.

R

Riva

While it is theoretically possible that anyone with balance could use any function, I don't think it turns out that types end up "looking" like such a different type. Normally, the person would still seem like an ISTP, however they'll just be more effective at Ni-Fe use.

If their behavior changes so much that you notice a switch, I'd suggest Ni-Fe is actually poorly developed and is immaturely emerging in response to stress. But I don't know the specifics.

I thought when ISTP are under stress an ESTJ type character emerge. I have noticed this on couple of occasion.

Not flexible
Rigid
etc

Are ESTJ characteristics which are common to ISTPs under stress.

Are you suggesting that under stress they use the functions they are not used to? (applies to any type)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm not a huge believer in shadow types and their expression. If anything, when I get stressed I'll just tunnel into Ti and burrow, seeing any kind of intrusion as an attack on my independence.

But this is based solely on personal experience. I've read the Tertiary Temptation theory, there's a shadow theory, and I'm sure a bunch of others but I haven't really seen anything that jumps out at me.

R

Riva

I'm not a huge believer in shadow types and their expression. If anything, when I get stressed I'll just tunnel into Ti and burrow, seeing any kind of intrusion as an attack on my independence.

But this is based solely on personal experience. I've read the Tertiary Temptation theory, there's a shadow theory, and I'm sure a bunch of others but I haven't really seen anything that jumps out at me.

Maybe you tunnel into Ti to analyze things a bit more. Analyze yourself. I would imagine Ti dominants doing that when they are in a rut.

What's wrong? What is going on?

simple!

My Ti (which is what I am most comfortable with) will provide answers.

??

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe you tunnel into Ti to analyze things a bit more. Analyze yourself. I would imagine Ti dominants doing that when they are in a rut.

What's wrong? What is going on?

simple!

My Ti (which is what I am most comfortable with) will provide answers.

??

This is exactly how I get. To me this is understanding cause and affect. Sometimes its understanding emotions, sometimes its not.

My own experience, and I think what most ITPs report, is more an attempt to coax something out, to give form to some idea that I won't fully understand until it's been given form. A goal known in advance of this process would interfere with the process; it would corrupt the idea so that what emerges wouldn't be pure.

Because of this I dont think we could ever push as much as an ENFJ can because it would go against who we are. My goals are generally very broad and dont have alot of detail or plans.

Its logically possible as we get better with our tertiary and inferior. No we would not act like an ENFJ, but we could easily perform(appear to act) like an ENFJ would do, but with much better results as we can fully use Ti and Se along with Ni and Fe.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every peoples, whatever there type is, can act like others types when using sompe functions or conbinaisons of functions. Notably ISTPs, who can act like xNFJs when using the Ni-Fe combo. When he's bad developped theses function, he acts like an xNFJ in a wrong way, and when he has well developped it, he acts like an xNFJ in a good way. But he stills ISTP.;)

sculpting

YES YES YES!!!

When my ISTP mom in law was 25 she told her son to quit whining and being such a baby when he hit his elbow. After four days she realized it was the size of a softball and he had punctured the bursa sack (?). They have tons of stories like this. She was the toughest, most practical human being ever.

Now at 55 she makes those little scrapbook cards obsessively, home decorates and goes insane if the tile color doesnt match the carpet, hovers over me telling me which plates are microwave compatible, gets weird if the lamp doesnt match the couch, tells me my clothes dont match, and also tells me I am weird and in short, Fe's me until I want to kill her.

I can see my 33 ex-husband doing this now. He is turning from a 6 foot tall, tattoo covered bmx riding tattoo artist who got in fights and never paid his bills into a PTO dad who worries if we didnt pick up the "right" gift for the other toddler for the daycare christmas party.

It is utterly hysterical.

It is odd though as it isnt like a real-deal xNFJ-it really feels "shadowy". Kinda like I will freak out and go nuts if someone messes with the order my instruments ship out in at work-a very ISTJ response, but not the real ISTJ manner.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I act like an NFJ from time to time, but only in very small doses. I tire and get stressed very quickly when I'm in that mode, and will need to run away to recharge after.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I stress out I get really anal about the way in which I approach my work. In my personal life, I also get real paranoid feelings without any indication I should be paranoid about anything. I hate that. Is that xNFJ? I don't know.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
When I stress out I get really anal about the way in which I approach my work. In my personal life, I also get real paranoid feelings without any indication I should be paranoid about anything. I hate that. Is that xNFJ? I don't know.

Oh my god I get that too, and it gets really bad whenever it happens. :doh:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
YES YES YES!!!

When my ISTP mom in law was 25 she told her son to quit whining and being such a baby when he hit his elbow. After four days she realized it was the size of a softball and he had punctured the bursa sack (?). They have tons of stories like this. She was the toughest, most practical human being ever.

Now at 55 she makes those little scrapbook cards obsessively, home decorates and goes insane if the tile color doesnt match the carpet, hovers over me telling me which plates are microwave compatible, gets weird if the lamp doesnt match the couch, tells me my clothes dont match, and also tells me I am weird and in short, Fe's me until I want to kill her.

I can see my 33 ex-husband doing this now. He is turning from a 6 foot tall, tattoo covered bmx riding tattoo artist who got in fights and never paid his bills into a PTO dad who worries if we didnt pick up the "right" gift for the other toddler for the daycare christmas party.

It is utterly hysterical.

It is odd though as it isnt like a real-deal xNFJ-it really feels "shadowy". Kinda like I will freak out and go nuts if someone messes with the order my instruments ship out in at work-a very ISTJ response, but not the real ISTJ manner.

:eek: .... Please don't tell me I'm going to be like that at 55. It makes me want to curl up under my desk in the fetal position and stare at the wall in horror.

I thought when ISTP are under stress an ESTJ type character emerge. I have noticed this on couple of occasion.

Not flexible
Rigid
etc

Are ESTJ characteristics which are common to ISTPs under stress.

Are you suggesting that under stress they use the functions they are not used to? (applies to any type)

While I see your point, I don't think that's -quite- how shadow functions work.. or at least not for me. When I'm stressed, I don't look like an ESTJ. If I'm feeling oppositional/stubborn, I use my 5th function, Te. So I look like an ISTP using a lot of negative Te. When I'm feeling critical, I use my 6th function, Si. So I look like a really mean ISTP using really mean Si. Etc., etc. So I actually am pretty aware of when I'm using my shadow functions. But I use -individual- shadow functions in specific situations, in addition to my commonly used (though probably more negative than usual) functions. I'd only look like an ESTJ if some how used the correct degree of all my shadow functions at once. Which... well... hopefully I never get that stressed.

As for the xNFJ thing... I really couldn't say. I can see INFJ, .... -maybe-. I say that because I feel my Ni is sufficiently more developed than my Fe, and can't ever see that switching around. I agree with what Jock said about this, though. I'd just look like an ISTP with more developed Ni and Fe.

AuroraBorealis

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
I actually need a lot of help with this. As an ISTP, growing up with more than one auxiliary Fe user in my house did NOT help with my development. My Fe is too strong, but in an overactive way instead of a helpful way. I tend to get really butthurt when people act rude or vindictive toward me, yet I could easily act similarly toward them without feeling at thing. I base too many of my arguments off of emotion. I FEEL too much! I act like an overemotional crazy, but I want to express my anger by punching a hole in the wall instead of crying.

Dear God...someone help me with this...

KDude

The only time I tend to act Fe dom like is when a plan/project/job is complete shit and I want others to see it too. For example, I remember this time working at a restaurant, and I quit within a couple of hours. The boss was a prick (more than usual). I had a few friends who were happier there, but I wanted them to quit with me. I channeled ENFJ or something, and got everyone on board.. caused a little insurrection, if you will. Like 6 or 7 of us walked out and he was screwed for the night. And possibly, screwed longterm. The restaurant closed within a year (although I doubt that was really my doing).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of all of my shadow functions my intuition Ni is the most developed and my feeling Fe is the least developed. My preferences in order of strength are TIPS. I think it is common for ISTP to have a more well developed intuition that any other sensing type. That is why so many ISTPs fall into the trap of typing themselves INTP.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds like you're using our 8th function, Fi. I am a complete and total wreck when I'm stressed out/depressed enough to be using a lot of Fi. I feel like my world is caving in.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My ISTP can use Fe very well in response to stress, as long as the stress involves other people, particularly people he cares about, as long as he doesn't feel directly angry or agitated for himself. His Fe can really suck, but like if you mess with his mommy or someone he cares about, he'll be there to jump over the fence and beat your ass in about two seconds. Of course that also involves Se. A more particular "NFJ-ish" example would be when he goes into "counselor" mode, and is totally chill while other people are freaking out, and he explains why everyone else should calm down, and what might produce a win-win situation.

I thought he might possibly be an ESTP at first, like just a very reserved one, because of his Fe, but his mother is an ESFJ so he's tapped into it because of that, and it's really not as good as it first appears to be. If he gets his own personal feelings of anger or anxiety involved, his Fe turns to absolute dust, like it doesn't even exist. Instead of being a counselor, he becomes a terse, abrupt jerk.

He's still pretty young, though.

Still, he has concerns, like what his family will think about this or that, he tends to want to keep things private, and I think that might have to do with his inferior Fe, for all of his kind of quiet lone wolf insolence he does actually care what certain people think.