• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Has Medication Ever...Say...Changed A Personality Type? [ISTP 2 ISFP

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As an ISTP, I had been depressed and was put on anti-depressants. Testing afterward I scored as an ISFP. The calculator said Feeling was 12%. My Thinking before wasn't terribly low (maybe 20s); I hadn't ever fathomed retrieving an F, of all letters.

But of course, the lifting of the depression changed my outlook and possibly my thinking preference... Anyone ever gone through this change or one like it?

I think ISFP suits me (on the meds), but gawd, I got love for my ISTPs. Them's my brethren. lol They interest me more than other types

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've heard depression changes types... actually I've SEEN people change types when they get depressed or stop being depressed and such...

so maybe its just the depression

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
When Carl Jung first observed personality type, he theorized that it was always on a continuum (with the exception of E/I), so it would follow that both external and/or internal conditions can and will effect where you are located along the continuum. Remember, the trajectory of life is to be able to move freely along the continuum at will. So, there is no "ISTP" per se, only someone who currently functions at the ISTP point, either consciously or unconsciously.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Makes sense to me that our personality is a result of brain function. Physical function, not mental function...

Therefore, taking psychoactive medication or altering ones diet can cause the brain to function in a differing way...just as surely as many peoples behavior is impacted by drinking alcohol.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Almost forgot, I'd say that most of the time personality test don't give an accurate measure. They depend a lot on how the author of the test is guessing someone with this or that preference might perceive the question.

Sort of like changing one or two words, or how a question is asked in a Marketing survey with completely change the results.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks for all your answers. Each one was informative for me.

sculpting

When I drink it removes all of my big Te walls and I become a cuddly sweet ENFP, rather than a harsh bitchy opinionated enfp. Thus my new career choice of alcoholism.

In grad school I had long term hypothyroidism but they thought it was adhd and put me on ritalin. The first few weeks were utterly bizarre as I started writing thank you notes to everyone. I wrote a thank you note to the cop who wrote me two tickets after I totaled my minivan. It shut Ne down flat. I think it was spastic enfp to some sort of isfj transition. At the time I was taking an E&M course and off ritalin, I would miss details but could Ne the general context. On Ritalin I could follow every detail of the equations and understand my errors-but I couldnt understand the context of the problem anymore.

I'd assume this sort of thing could happen on any psych med.

Do you make eye contact with people? My isfp friends rarely do for more than quick glances, but the few ISTPs I have known had very piercing gazes. As they age, they get sweeter too as Fe grows in.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
The test result you get depends on your state, but it doesn't change your basic type I believe (It's a temporary change). It's said that brain damage can alter one's personality, and that's imaginable because then you really have physical changes.
It is important though, as is said in this thread, to keep seeing it as revolving liquidly along the fixed places, and therefore personal growth and some 'input' in whatever way is needed (the likes of a magician's moving their assemblance point).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Brain chemistry plays a huge part in regulating how you process the thoughts that control your behavior. It is natural to see changes in behavior while adjusting to medication (4-6 weeks). However, your core personality should not greatly vary.

The goal of medication is to bring you out of the mirage of depression or whatever chemical imbalance you suffer from so that you can function properly in this world.

EDIT: I was just thinking about your post in a different sense. A personal one. There is a common myth and fear among those needing medication that it will change them. This is one of the main reasons why I did not get medicated when I should have over ten years ago for bipolar disorder. I have since then and never looked back but I want to stress this: It doesn't change you. It enhances you.