• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP or ADD?

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Everyone's chemistry is different. There is so much we don't know about our chemistry and how the brain works. But I am definitely of the "if it don't work, don't do it school." Ritalin worked and continues to work for me. It has improved my life 1000% over the span of 15 adult years. I only wish I had been diagnosed as a child...it would have spared me untold agonies. But I am grateful for what i have now...the past is the past. But I will not deprive another child of such healing if it is warranted. That would be as cruel as forcing a non-ADD child to take medications he or she does not need..and which are in fact harmful to them.

As I said I never have had a single negative reaction to Ritalin...no weight loss, no depression (just the reverse), no dry mouth, no insomnia etc... and 80 mgs is a high dose...and it has remained at that level for all 15 years, with the same effectiveness. And no addiction problems either. In fact I quit smoking after I began taking Ritalin.
Smoking is one of the ways non-diagnosed ADD folk self-medicate.

Ritalin is one of the greatest blessings that God has granted me and those like me.

ADD is real. As is the effectiveness of certain medications.

Correct diagnosis. Correct medication. Constructive and creative life. What's not to love?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To round out the discussion has anyone heard of SPECT scanning, which is now becoming more popular by aiding in diagnosis for a multitude of brain function issues?

SPECT Atlas – Amen Clinics

There are a lot of cynics regarding the application of technology, but it makes one hell of a lot more sense vs. relying on the more traditional interview methods.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's impressive to me about the Amen Clinics approach, is that they advise the patient on taking a holistic approach such as diet, exercise, etc and certain supplements that they have taken follow-up scans to verify they show enough change to consider "working."

Prior prescribing meds, or determining which type of medication would be effective.

I like the middle path and hope the approach becomes more widely available, however lament that they've become more commercial in peddling their proprietary and over priced supplements vs. simply posting on their web site things that people who can't afford thousand for an analysis might try.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
If everyone took a reasonable approach to diet, exercise, etc, there would be a lot less illnesses of all kinds...from diabetes to panic attacks...but none of it will change schizophrenia, clinical depression, ADD and the like. Some disorders need chemical assistance. But a healthy lifestyle sure won't hurt.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eek, I have 5 close friends who are 'ADD' and all of them take some sort of drug for it. And it made all of them skinny. They don't eat when they're on the medication....is that safe? The neighbor kid, when the parents took him off the medication for the weekend, acted as if he was crawling out of his skin. This happened on many occasions and I wonder if its not because his body craves that drug.
Does anyone ever feel like they lose more concentration and such when not on the medication as apposed to when they never took medication for their ADD?
I'm sure the medication works differently for everyone, but it is a medication and you can become addicted to it. Who's to know how your body reacts when not on it and then we're just blaming it on the ADD?

I suppose these are just observations that I've made being surrounded by teenagers and children with ADD/ADHD.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I have never lost weight on Ritalin. My skin has never crawled. I can go off Ritalin at will and feel no effects at all...except a loss of ability to focus at will. I often forget to take my pill every 4 hours...and some days forget altogether, esp when in a hyperfocus state. Not addictive at all. I lived for 35 years without Ritalin and know exactly what it is like to live without it and I have lived the last 15 years with it...this is no game.

If the kids are experiencing negative effects, take em off. Simple as that.

But don't attack ADD as a result of some wrong diagnoses.

I am living proof it is real.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stopping any psychoactive medication abruptly is one of the most dangerous things anyone can do. It's a shock to the system and a tapering off schedule should be established with a qualified clinician.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
This is not true for ADD. Medication can be stopped at any time and there are NO side effects.....IF and ONLY IF the person truly has the ADD disorder.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is not true for ADD. Medication can be stopped at any time and there are NO side effects.....IF and ONLY IF the person truly has the ADD disorder.

I respectfully disagree. It's well documented that suddenly stopping Adderall can trigger extreme fatigue and/or depression.

Here's just one example of many Adderall

That surely may be the case for ADD, however prefer to error on extreme caution.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Not if it is used for a correctly diagnosed ADD condition. The chemistry doesn't support it. However, it is often prescribed for those who aren't ADD at all. THAT'S where the problems crop up. The brain chemistry is completely different.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
BUT I'll do more research on Adderall specifically. There are NO problems with stopping Ritalin. I know that for a living fact.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not if it is used for a correctly diagnosed ADD condition. The chemistry doesn't support it. However, it is often prescribed for those who aren't ADD at all. THAT'S where the problems crop up. The brain chemistry is completely different.

Good point, and am pretty sure you wouldn't want for someone newly or incorrectly "diagnosed" to take the risk of abruptly stopping.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I respectfully disagree. It's well documented that suddenly stopping Adderall can trigger extreme fatigue and/or depression.

Here's just one example of many Adderall

That surely may be the case for ADD, however prefer to error on extreme caution.
You are correct about Ritalin as well. People who have taken the medication for a long time, or take it in high doses, should not stop it immediately, as it can cause sudden and severe depression and withdrawal.

lookingglassworld

MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
3w4
Stopping Adderall for any length of time is an utter BITCH!! I'm living proof!! If you can manage your ADHD or ADD symptoms without it then do so!! Keep away from at all costs!! Totally wicked withdrawals.:devil:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wish I could remember, and have been unsuccessful in querying the article.

My favorite quote from that article as I recall was "Cake makes my tummy hurt." When describing the children's expressed preference for fresh fruit over other treats when being interviewed.

Thanks for sharing the case study, information like that is very helpful to even big kids like me. :)

I absolutely remember reading this article! Might'a been on CNN.com 'cause I feel like it was during my news-checking phase at work....

Diet changes a lot. For those who don't think so, watch Supersize Me. I ain't sayin' it provides world peace or nuthin', but it changes things up.

Fecal McAngry

Do you remember the name of the school? The Appleton Wisconsin High School did the same thing-removing vending machines and all junk food items; and ultimately, featuring all natural foods cooked on site. They saw what amounted to an overnight change in what was originally a very dangerous, inattentive, student body. They also experimented with environmental ambiance, dabbling with how light, color, and sound impact the behaviors of the student body. That too yielded positive results, which makes sense. Marketing researchers spend quite a bit of time studying how musical tempo impacts buying behavior, and how lighting and colors make us act and feel certain ways. Here is the case study if you're interested: Case Study: Appleton Central Alternative Charter High School

I highly recommend this book for those interested in trying non-drug approaches: Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (9780982207703): Mark Sisson: Books

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
You are correct about Ritalin as well. People who have taken the medication for a long time, or take it in high doses, should not stop it immediately, as it can cause sudden and severe depression and withdrawal.

Nonsense. More quackery.