• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] commitment phobe ISTPs

cooliogirly1000

In personalitypages, the following is mentioned about ISTPs.

ISTPs take their commitments on a day-by-day basis. Even if they say "I do", it usually means "I do for now". They do not like to make lifelong commitments, although they may very well be involved in lifelong relationships which they have taken one day at a time.

So how is that some ISTPs end up married, and how long does it take for them to get there...years?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems like there are a lot of ISTP's that marry young, say by the age of 21.

I've personally known three or four, and seems valid in reference to previous threads here.

One comes to mind that broke up with his wife about six times through the years, they'd
started dating in High School.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
There are two layers: ISTPs are very committed emotionally over the long term...very very loyal...but not committed in the short term, in the day-to-day, hour-to-hour practical living thing. They live both "in the moment," and thus prone to freeze out those who disappoint, and yet are so generous, egalitarian and open-minded that their emotional commitments are life-long. Hard to explain.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What McRumi said rings very true to me.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
There are two layers: ISTPs are very committed emotionally over the long term...very very loyal...but not committed in the short term, in the day-to-day, hour-to-hour practical living thing. They live both "in the moment," and thus prone to freeze out those who disappoint, and yet are so generous, egalitarian and open-minded that their emotional commitments are life-long. Hard to explain.

That makes a lot of sense.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It would depend if he wanted and valued marriage and children. I also feel that it is important to recognize and accept their needs for freedom and independance. If they have this within a relationship, then they will not feel 'trapped' and will commit wholeheartedly in a long term relationship.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds exciting. :shock:

The kicker is it didn't occur to the ISTP to let his parents know he was the one breaking up each time. So they held a low opinion of the future wife, until his mom made a point after the engagement.

And he was like? :huh:

ok mom, no it was me breaking up, she didn't dump me.

McRumi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
The kicker is it didn't occur to the ISTP to let his parents know he was the one breaking up each time. So they held a low opinion of the future wife, until his mom made a point after the engagement.

And he was like? :huh:

ok mom, no it was me breaking up, she didn't dump me.

She still blames her.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

Yep. I pretty much completely agree with this! :cheese:

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3

oh, that's good. I wish I'd heard that months ago!