• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] me: "i love you" istp: <<silence>>

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
haaahahaha.

not going to go into this in depth cause it's still raw, but uh, now my question to the istps is... what do i do? what's my next move?

it's difficult because i know he likes me. i know he wants to keep seeing me. nothing about his actions say he doesn't. he just takes longer to know how he feels. and, maybe i do too... usually. i know, it's been only like less than three months. how can you know in that time? well, i just do. i really do.

to tell the truth, it's not like i even really thought he was going to say it back. which is why i burst into tears after i said it and nothing happened.

istp felt bad, i think. he went on this long comforting speech of how of course he liked me, but he would never ever want to hurt me and that something is probably inherently wrong with him (it's not -- i'm crazy) and how he didn't tell his ex that he loved her until like a year later (exjaculation!)... all stuff i already knew. unfortunately, this knowledge is not really going to make me feel better at this point and certainly not a pity i-love-you, which i hope to god he never would do to me. he said the last time a girl said she loved him (not the ex), he said "thank you." i've totally done that too. but, i have to say, it doesn't make me feel too great to be compared with that girl.

anyway, i do feel like i'm constantly trying to be careful not to pressure him into anything. i don't like pressure myself and that certainly was not my intent by being vocal with how i felt.

at the same time, istps, how long do i give him to reciprocate? to tell the truth, i think it's unhealthy for me to stay in a relationship with someone who can't tell me how they feel about me eventually. i'm happy to be with him and i've accepted how he is, but i don't like feeling like it's one-sided. and THAT, i can only take for so long before it will wear on me.

ugh. what do you all think? i know my istp bff would say, "oops. nothing you can do about that now." but, is there any other words of advice you can give me for moving forward?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Read his actions, not his words :)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
at the same time, istps, how long do i give him to reciprocate?

Eternity? ;)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Try to do it without expecting a result. Like throw it into the end of a conversation as you walk off. Dont make him feel like it has to be returned. Its all in tone and presentation as to how it comes across.

And yes read his actions.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
It's good that you understand that he can't reciprocate the same statement back right now, but it's up to you at this point. There's no telling how long it might take him to be able to say it. Are you willing to go through that?

You might just take it a little at a time and see whether you can truly keep going with it.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
yeah, it's a shame he's so gosh darn amazing or i'd cut him loose.

i think i'm just going to sit on it and not do anything. maybe it'll go away on its own cause i can trick myself into thinking it's unrequited.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
The amount of threads on non responsive and noncommittal ISTPs are astounding and somewhat saddening =(

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm... Seems certain types need verbal validation? Maybe ISTP's should start asking for "action" validation, like telling folks...

"Ok, I think it's cool you love me and I love you too. But how about getting off your duff and speaking to me in a language that I can hear too...show me dammit!"

Do something! :yes:

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
hmm... Seems certain types need verbal validation? Maybe ISTP's should start asking for "action" validation, like telling folks...

"Ok, I think it's cool you love me and I love you too. But how about getting off your duff and speaking to me in a language that I can hear too...show me dammit!"

Do something! :yes:

yeah, that's what's so strange to me. all his actions say that he does... so i don't get what the big deal in him just saying it (since yes, i am the verbal one in the relationship). puzzling. hahaha.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
to tell the truth, i think it's unhealthy for me to stay in a relationship with someone who can't tell me how they feel about me eventually. i'm happy to be with him and i've accepted how he is, but i don't like feeling like it's one-sided. and THAT, i can only take for so long before it will wear on me.

ugh. what do you all think? i know my istp bff would say, "oops. nothing you can do about that now." but, is there any other words of advice you can give me for moving forward?

Well, I think you just need to realize that there's a fundamental difference between the way you two express your feelings. You are an ENFP, so strong emotions like love, hate, sadness, and happiness are really easy for you to understand and directly communicate. You probably value this direct, overt communication too.

However, your ISTP probably does not have this desire for and understanding of direct emotional communication. He probably uses his Ti to completely overanalyze what the word "love" really means, and since he can't figure out a logical, systematized definition of "love", he is reluctant to use that word.

Your Fi, on the other hand, just *knows* how to define love. You don't need to have a logical explanation for it; you just feel it, and you understand this feeling, and you have no qualms with using the word love to express this feeling because the definition of love is a feeling. This is a really hard thing to except for Ts, especially TPs.

Don't take personal offense to the fact that he can't express his feelings as readily as you. It really probably has nothing to do with you at all; it's just a fundamental internal difference, and I don't think it has anything to do with how he really feels about you. Just because you can understand this word "love" and directly correlate it to a feeling doesn't mean that you should expect him to have this same ability. I don't really think it's accurate to assume that the fact that he can't say "I love you" points to an "unhealthy" relationship or situation for you, so long as you just don't take it personally. Realize that he is operating on a completely different value system than you, and while according to your definition of love, he may love you, he probably can't figure out a logical definition of love, so he just doesn't often use it as a part of his vocabulary.

Of course this is all speculation, as I don't know you or him or anything about your relationship really. But just don't get too upset about this whole "love" thing; it's ultimately just an arbitrary word with no concrete definition. His actions and the way he treats you and the way you guys connect with each other are all ultimately much more important.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
it's just a fundamental internal difference, and I don't think it has anything to do with how he really feels about you. Just because you can understand this word "love" and directly correlate it to a feeling doesn't mean that you should expect him to have this same ability. I don't really think it's accurate to assume that the fact that he can't say "I love you" points to an "unhealthy" relationship

But on the other hand, if your primary functions are Ne and Fi, you couldn't just stop yourself from being consistently hurt by the lack of verbal validation. Doesn't Ne LOOK for patterns and connections between behaviours and wouldn't it uncontrollably pick up on every little thing and interpret it in some unpleasant way before rationalizing it? (Not an Ne user, that may be more Ni). I don't think intuitives can really help but dig deeper into every little thing.

Don't you think it would make an unhealthy relationship if one partner consistently hurt the other one unintentionally? Or if one partner had to force validation all the time and the other had to rationalize their hurt all the time?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Don't you think it would make an unhealthy relationship if one partner consistently hurt the other one unintentionally? Or if one partner had to force validation all the time and the other had to rationalize their hurt all the time?

Yes of course I think this makes for an unhealthy relationship. I was trying to convince her that she shouldn't interpret it in a such a personal way and that she shouldn't need explicit validation all of the time, as her ISTP is operating on a completely different plane. If she can't escape the boundaries of her own scope, then the relationship is doomed to fail. If she can, though, she'll gain a new perspective on something, and that might be great.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah, that's what's so strange to me. all his actions say that he does... so i don't get what the big deal in him just saying it (since yes, i am the verbal one in the relationship). puzzling. hahaha.

As hard as it may suck, if you see that his actions are showing love towards you then maybe at this point that should be enough. Its not to say that he doesn't love you. In fact, you both could have the exact same feelings but you both show it separate ways. I wouldn't break the deal just because he can't verbally say it yet. If anything, I think its precious that he's to physically show you he cares about you through his actions.
Also remember that love isn't just a feeling, feelings are fleeting, but its more of a commitment. So this could very well be a source of his confusion as well. I can't completely say because I am not a T of coarse, but just from where I'm at thats what first came to mind.

I hope this helps a bit. :hug:

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
your ISTP probably does not have this desire for and understanding of direct emotional communication. He probably uses his Ti to completely overanalyze what the word "love" really means, and since he can't figure out a logical, systematized definition of "love", he is reluctant to use that word.

Don't take personal offense to the fact that he can't express his feelings as readily as you. It really probably has nothing to do with you at all; it's just a fundamental internal difference, and I don't think it has anything to do with how he really feels about you. Just because you can understand this word "love" and directly correlate it to a feeling doesn't mean that you should expect him to have this same ability. I don't really think it's accurate to assume that the fact that he can't say "I love you" points to an "unhealthy" relationship or situation for you, so long as you just don't take it personally. Realize that he is operating on a completely different value system than you, and while according to your definition of love, he may love you, he probably can't figure out a logical definition of love, so he just doesn't often use it as a part of his vocabulary.

Of course this is all speculation, as I don't know you or him or anything about your relationship really. But just don't get too upset about this whole "love" thing; it's ultimately just an arbitrary word with no concrete definition. His actions and the way he treats you and the way you guys connect with each other are all ultimately much more important.

i love what you wrote here. very insightful. thank you.

i guess i am wondering that since he has been in love once before... why he wouldn't just reference those previous feelings and know if he did or not? i feel like he is really bent up on the time frame thing and knowing when it is appropriate to say certain things. i don't really understand that since the connection is so intense.

phoenity

Look at his actions, not his lack of words.

You put him on the spot. Immense pressure to reciprocate your feeling caused him to freeze up, not his lack of feeling.

Then you made things even more difficult for him bursting into tears.

At that point, what did he do? Did he leave? Did he act cold towards you, as if you were the one who caused the situation?

No. Despite his discomfort, he stayed by your side, and tried his best to comfort you, and even resorted to blaming himself.

If that's not proof he sincerely cares about you, I don't know what is.

His actions in the future will be the best clue as to how he really feels about you, now that you've revealed how you feel. Did you drive him away, or pull him in closer?

Intuition will drive you crazy endlessly dissecting words and situations. Instead, let feeling be your guide as to how his actions make you feel inside.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i love what you wrote here. very insightful. thank you.

i guess i am wondering that since he has been in love once before... why he wouldn't just reference those previous feelings and know if he did or not? i feel like he is really bent up on the time frame thing and knowing when it is appropriate to say certain things. i don't really understand that since the connection is so intense.

May be he is afraid that the connection is to intense and doesnt want to act hastily on feelings. Its not realitic to expect that intensity to continue forever. In love is different then love.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i guess i am wondering that since he has been in love once before... why he wouldn't just reference those previous feelings and know if he did or not?

Every relationship and person is different. Love is the same way. It never feels the same way twice. :yes:

i feel like he is really bent up on the time frame thing and knowing when it is appropriate to say certain things. i don't really understand that since the connection is so intense.

Simply put: It has to feel right to say those kinds of things. Three months isn't a lot of time to get to know someone or for someone to get to know you. That's a big thing.

I think ISTP's take those sentimental words very seriously. Keep this in mind. We really think about the definition of what that means to us and we aren't going to say it unless we know we can fulfill our part in our own definition of what that means.

Just let it ride and enjoy the ride. You like him. He likes you. Why wonder about more? :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
why he wouldn't just reference those previous feelings and know if he did or not?

You assume he really understood the feelings the first time.

Plus, we love different things about different people, which can change the specific nature of our love towards them. His previous experience may not prove all that useful with you.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Look at his actions, not his lack of words.

You put him on the spot. Immense pressure to reciprocate your feeling caused him to freeze up, not his lack of feeling.

Then you made things even more difficult for him bursting into tears.

At that point, what did he do? Did he leave? Did he act cold towards you, as if you were the one who caused the situation?

No. Despite his discomfort, he stayed by your side, and tried his best to comfort you, and even resorted to blaming himself.

If that's not proof he sincerely cares about you, I don't know what is.

His actions in the future will be the best clue as to how he really feels about you, now that you've revealed how you feel. Did you drive him away, or pull him in closer?

Intuition will drive you crazy endlessly dissecting words and situations. Instead, let feeling be your guide as to how his actions make you feel inside.

I wholly agree with this. :yes:

I mean, didn't people always say those perfect couples can understand each other without exchanging words? Why get hung up on four letters when there are so many other ways to express love.