• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] xSTPs and manipulation

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Before we get started, because the thread name might get you readers in a certain preconcieved mindset of "bad!", know that I do not necessarily use the word "manipulation" with a negative connotation. When I discuss xSTP being manipulative, I mean that they are good at figuring people out. This can be used in a positive way or a negative way (such as a therapist versus a con artist); it all depends on the xSTP.

With that said, I'm looking to discuss the xSTP ability to analyze people. Specifically, I'm interested in hearing from ISTPs, but I open this up to ESTPs as well because how could I exclude my buddies?

From this website:

"ISTPs have a compelling drive to understand the way things work. They're good at logical analysis, and like to use it on practical concerns. They typically have strong powers of reasoning, although they're not interested in theories or concepts unless they can see a practical application. They like to take things apart and see the way they work."

I laughed at this, said "Including people," and thus began the disagreement.

The above quote can apply to ISTP and ESTP alike. We both have strong reasoning powers, we're both good at logical analysis of the tangible world around us, and we're both interested in cause and effect.

I've had discussions with other ESTPs about the way we're able to maneuver people steer a situation into an outcome of our choice because we're able to make contingency plans for just about every reaction and we're prepared with a response for every one of them. Our minds go at about a million miles a minute picking apart the world around us.

My father is an ISTP and he was able to play people almost like they were puppets. I think that the ISTPs are forgotten when it comes to this because they're just so quiet. What people don't seem to realize is that the ISTP is the one quietly sitting across the room, watching you and figuring you out without you realizing he's ever there.

I realize that sounds pretty sinister, but it's not. ISTPs do like to poke at people, but it's not always in a bad way. An ISTP might do this just to amuse him- or herself. The ISTP sense of humor tends to be rather...special. ;)

The argument is that ESTPs are the ones who are able to manipulate people and enjoy poking at them and that ISTPs are not interested in people at all and are more interested in picking things apart.

I disagree. I think you ISTPs are just as bad as we are. You just get away with it more often because you're sneaky little bastards.

PS. There also seems to be this vast misconception that sensors are not capable of analytical thought. Tsk, tsk, you silly intuitives. We are. Our idea of analytical thought is just different from your idea of analytical thought.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good manipulation is 'influence'.

Eh, they're both the same in my mind because they both require the same skillset. One is just used in a negative way and the other in a positive way. I'm not one to mince words.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
who ever said sensors aren't capable of analytical thought?

Quite a few intuitives I've talked to claimed that an analytical thought process is strictly an intuitive thing and that sensors don't really do it. I've also been told that sensors can't be manipulative because we don't have the right kind of mind to process information and figure people out, again claiming it's an intuitive thing. Whenever I bring it up a little disagreement chimes up from the intuitives in the room.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Sigh.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Quite a few intuitives I've talked to claimed that an analytical thought process is strictly an intuitive thing and that sensors don't really do it. I've also been told that sensors can't be manipulative because we don't have the right kind of mind to process information and figure people out, again claiming it's an intuitive thing. Whenever I bring it up a little disagreement chimes up from the intuitives in the room.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Sigh.

ya very wrong....I hardly ever feel threatened by geeky little nerds. :yes:

wolfy

awsm
Eh, they're both the same in my mind because they both require the same skillset. One is just used in a negative way and the other in a positive way. I'm not one to mince words.

If you say they are the same you are mincing words. Same skill set, different intent. But that is neither here nor there. I don't think it is really is an STP thing. Look at a list of ESFP. Some great manipulators in there.

Nothing wrong with it. I suppose ISTP would be more likely to get away with it. Less easy to see.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
If you say they are the same you are mincing words. Same skill set, different intent. But that is neither here nor there. I don't think it is really is an STP thing. Look at a list of ESFP. Some great manipulators in there.

Nothing wrong with it. I suppose ISTP would be more likely to get away with it. Less easy to see.

so long as you zip it, don't show emotions and have a slew of excuses in your back pocket before hand :)

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I actually understand those terms differently. I think "manipulation" is in the T vocabulary, whereas "influence" is primarily an F word.

And to OP: Yes I do it. Though I do believe there is a slight difference between ESTP and ISTP in this regard. I think ESTP being Se-dom are more likely to make things the way they like it. ISTP on the other hand, will only do it when it fits our Ti schedule. Also, I think we're more likely to use this skill defensively, to not be manipulated.

I sometimes just need to know the option is there. I won't carry it out if it doesn't fit my goals. I do not do it "just because."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ya very wrong....I hardly ever feel threatened by geeky little nerds. :yes:

yeah, because all Ns are geeky little nerds, that's the distinction between N and S :huh:

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so long as you zip it, don't show emotions and have a slew of excuses in your back pocket before hand :)

lol, see, that's what I'm talking about. ;)

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually understand those terms differently. I think "manipulation" is in the T vocabulary, whereas "influence" is primarily an F word.

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, but it's still a pig. ;) It stems from the same skillset, so it's both the same thing, but how it is used varies depending on a person's morals and values. People just have a knee-jerk reaction to the word "manipulation".

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, but it's still a pig. ;) It stems from the same skillset, so it's both the same thing, but how it is used varies depending on a person's morals and values. People just have a knee-jerk reaction to the word "manipulation".

I do not deny that both words may refer to the same concept, but the connotations are part of the language. That is why there are two different words, not one. Redefining the word will not achieve anything besides allowing more people more chances to misinterpret or misunderstand you.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its a struggle to not put 2 and 2 together even with people. I will read people, test them, etc., to see how they respond. I do not judge at all based on this. I also expect others will do the same.

At a marriage counseling session we got a validation exercise, my wife learned some of the things I do to validate things I see that she had no idea I did even after 10 years together.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
So...what's the question?

Do xSTPs take people apart and analyze them, and then manipulate them?

Yes, I suppose. Depending on how broad your definition of "manipulate" (or influence, or whatever), then I would assume that all people (except hermits) do this.

Is there something specific about the STP nature you are addressing here?

LEGERdeMAIN

This thread is def appreciated. I was thinking about this on Thanksgiving when I was accused of manipulating family members. I was trying to figure out a way to explain that manipulation isn't necessarily a bad thing. For instance, every parent manipulates their children so they won't:

- get kidnapped, raped and killed(forcing your kids to watch a grainy vhs of "Adam" over and over again.)

- won't get out of bed unnecessarily in the middle of the night(monster under the bed)

Those are just a couple of examples related to my personal experience as a kid, but you get the idea.

Yeah, I watch people very closely and deduce their motivations. Once you know what motivates a person you can manipulate the balls out of them. I especially like to use it to subtly steer conversations in a certain direction, usually in an attempt to influence their actions. It's kind of like that Jedi knight thing.