• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs and extroversion

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't see why though. Everybody needs to express themselves in the world. And that takes extroversion.

yeah, i think so too. i think everbody is a little extroverted and introverted.
but very extreme introverted people seem to be more uneasy in social settings and enjoy it less, and extremely extroverted people seem to be more at ease socializing and enjoy it more.

it seems like personal development comes from expressing what doesn't come naturally, and ease and peace of mind comes from what's natural.

wolfy

awsm
yeah, i think so too. i think everbody is a little extroverted and introverted.
but very extreme introverted people seem to be more uneasy in social settings and enjoy it less, and extremely extroverted people seem to be more at ease socializing and enjoy it more.

it seems like personal development comes from expressing what doesn't come naturally, and ease and peace of mind comes from what's natural.

I guess it does depend on how extroverted/introverted you are. In the more general sense of the word I am fairly ambiverted. And I have a strong desire to express myself on the world, maybe at the world, or even in the world. It seems like a waste to leave it in my mind.

So in my mind my history is littered with attempts to do so.

wolfy

awsm
Don't you think things are going to have to manifest as a physical reality to satisfy you? I do. I want something to produce something that is real.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I agree.
We all need to express ourselves. It's good to have someone there to hear it and to respond. I like the sharing and the give and take of a conversation.
Also, I really like an audience. I sing in several choral groups and music is best expressed to an audience. It is a different way to share a message of hope or of sadness or of joy. It is OK with me if the audience is very small, just a few individuals. Then the setting becomes intimate and I feel as if, as a member of the choral group, I am part of offering a special gift to those few people who came.
Most of the tests indicate that I am an introvert but, no, I don't gain any energy from being alone. I know my own stories. I want to hear other people's stories. It is that connection that gives me energy.
Anyone else feel this way?

I don't see why though. Everybody needs to express themselves in the world. And that takes extroversion.

B

brainheart

I need a good balance. I wish I felt more comfortable sharing myself with others via performing music, writing, art, etc. I have the need but fear my contributions will not be perfect, so I refrain...

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Oh, Brainheart, your contributions don't have to be perfect. They are your gift, and it's ok if they are imperfect. As you create more, you will grow as an artist and your contributions will reflect that.
But it's ok to feel a little scared.
Please know that I am here to support you at any time that you wish to open up your wings and fly like a butterfly.
:wubbie:

I need a good balance. I wish I felt more comfortable sharing myself with others via performing music, writing, art, etc. I have the need but fear my contributions will not be perfect, so I refrain...

B

brainheart

Thanks. Of this I am aware, and I didn't used to feel this way. Call it a lapse in creating and letting it out. I'm a bit rusty and have been silent for a long while.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
When I am very extroverted I think I am very much putting on a show, performing. So maybe esfp.

Yes. When I am teaching or lecturing I am concious that I must be engaging in an "inspiring" role....I want to keep the interest and energy level up. So I consider this aspect not as a preference per se, but as part of a task that demands certain things...So I seem extroverted and I am as part of another overarching goal of wanting to help others find skills and gain knowledge. Perhaps Wolfy experinces this if he does any personal training?

B

brainheart

When you are extroverting, your extroverted function comes out to play, which is why you'd look or behave like an esfp vs your typical isfp self. I know when I'm out and about, imbibing and what not, I can be very much 'look at me, look at me!' or behave like a stand-up comic. But that happens far less frequently than my usual introverted self.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I tend to swing back and forth from my need for my internal world and the need to express myself and to get away from myself, lol. I do need the interaction of other people to converse and socialize but I also need it on my own terms to feel comfortable opening up. Sounds selfish really, lol. Even on forums, I tend to swing from posting alot and sharing to being reclusive.

ster

This extroversion thing... never experienced it. I can be giddy and attentive and reciprocating of someone who feeds me the energy? Yeah, giddiness and excitement might manifest in something that looks like extroversion, but it's not - at all. Just a brief moment natural energy outflux. But thoughts never just fly out of my mouth unless I feel pressured to small-talk. Even when that happens, I remain less extroverted than the person I'm talking to.

I hardly feel the need to express myself. Sometimes I feel like just being present is expression enough. If I feel the need to clarify or stand up for something though, I'll be adamant and persistent to figure out what the other person's perspective is and respond to it accordingly.

As... for the act of posting in this thread, I consider it participation in helping others understand others... =] and maybe I'm challenging the idea that ISFPs overcompensate for their introversion by turning extrovert. o_O But neither am I denying it.

B

brainheart

Even on forums, I tend to swing from posting alot and sharing to being reclusive.

Me too. But I think that can also be due to the fact that the luster wears off or I don't feel like I really have anything new to say so what's the point?

But yes, irl I will have a great conversation with someone and so the next time they see me they are all ready to chat it up and I won't even feel like completing a sentence, it doesn't matter whether I like them or not, I just don't want to talk.

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
For me, I definitely need a balance, and when I don't have that balance I'm just off. I need alone time, but too much alone time puts me in a bad mood. Not enough alone time also puts me in a bad mood. As for the extroversion thing, I feel it depends on the person. And after knowing someone for awhile and being introverted it's really hard for me to break that mold. Even if I want to really bad. It's kind of like I think they expect me to be quiet so it's hard for me to do anything else other than remain silent. Once I've crossed that line, it's a lot easier to be both. And I've read descriptions of ISFPs being private people, which is true for me somewhat. I don't throw myself out there but if someone asks me a question about myself I don't feel the need to give an answer that doesn't reveal much about myself. I consider myself pretty open if people ask.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
ISFP's can be very chatty and conversational and social for an Introverts. They can be more social than a lot of extroverts- moreso than any other introverted type from the ones I know. But it drains them. Then they need to go home and rest up. That's the difference.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think I am one of those kinds of ISFP. :D