• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP/ENFP just a theory?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting that you describe the communication as smooth...

I know, its a combination of me living completely in the moment and a busy body that likes to challenge myself and NFP desire to reach an ideal. They provide the emotional drive I provide the physical drive. Because of my natural tendencies to just detach I can escape from the drive when I need to without any feelings of guilt and then just jump right back in. I also allow the communication to derail to other topics without getting lost in the hustle and bustle and chaos.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can see how that would work actually... I'm just think ing of my communication with an ISTP... we seemed to know what the other was thinking on almost psychic levels... Now that goes against most MBTi theory which suggests that it is the N or S in common that provides this level of ease of communication... Wondering do you have a sense of this... or is it the ENFP projecting this on to the communication

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I know a male ENFP female ISTP couple. I lold, because in the beginning he was so clingy and she was always telling him to stop it and pushing him away. Don't ask me how it works.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not sure it would work long-term. At least for me.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that ISTPs tend to be very 'minimalistic' in their communications and very much to the point. I also think our Fi acts like a mirror for their Se, making body language and 'actions', as well as anything communicated in a non-verbal way (intonation for instance) the main language between us, one we both understand very well. And..they rule at that language. I personally love that mode of communication. I do notice some more difficulty when my Ne goes crazy on them though or when they go really overboard on Ti (much like with an INTP, but usually INTPs are worse still)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've never dated an ENFP, but I have a great ENFP friend who talks about MBTI things with me and he's awesome. He's dating an ISTP last I heard and apparently they're having a good time.

I have another really close friend that is INFP and sometimes she drives me a little crazy, but she's about as genuine and caring as people get. We don't agree on everything and we don't think about things the same way, but she's good to me and she seems to understand how I work pretty well. :)

Given comments in other threads, XNFP types seem to really like us ISTPs! With my limited experience, I tend to like you guys back. I think the problem for me is dealing with feelings. I know you let feelings take the wheel and I don't understand that most of the time. I think I can say that I've honestly put forth a good effort in the past couple of years to be more tolerant and a bit more understanding of people who are run by emotions. I think I've also tried exploring my own feelings a little (and that's saying a LOT). I have an ISTP friend who is a bit behind me in this progress and I wonder how I made some of the friends that I have. I think he's behind because he never thought about it until a few months ago when I told him about MBTI. Honestly, I hadn't really thought about it either. In college I was going through a phase when my friends weren't there for me, classes were rough and I was generally unhappy with a lot of things, so I got into this personality stuff. It took awhile to sink in, but I've learned a lot about myself and other people. I've started to be more aware of other people's feelings, how they react to things I say (altho I'm still oblivious a lot of the time).

Anyway, that was a tangent... In short "Go ENFPs!!!" :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that ISTPs tend to be very 'minimalistic' in their communications and very much to the point. I also think our Fi acts like a mirror for their Se, making body language and 'actions', as well as anything communicated in a non-verbal way (intonation for instance) the main language between us, one we both understand very well. And..they rule at that language. I personally love that mode of communication. I do notice some more difficulty when my Ne goes crazy on them though or when they go really overboard on Ti (much like with an INTP, but usually INTPs are worse still)

I would agree to the Fi-Se mirror scenario and the intonations. I can see the Ne-Ti diffuculty. With an ISTP its like cant you see this is logical and I will explain it in detail. Like an INTP huh, :blush:. This is my defense mechanism ;) We are much better at showing something than explaining it, or atleast I am as thats how I learned. I will even take something over and do it myself not because others arent capable, but because I am not capable of explaining it.

edit: how does your Ne go crazy? I am having difficulty pin pointing Ne to something concrete.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would agree to the Fi-Se mirror scenario and the intonations. I can see the Ne-Ti diffuculty. With an ISTP its like cant you see this is logical and I will explain it in detail. Like an INTP huh, :blush:. This is my defense mechanism ;) We are much better at showing something than explaining it, or atleast I am as thats how I learned. I will even take something over and do it myself not because others arent capable, but because I am not capable of explaining it.

ha! the bolded print is SO right on it's not even funny.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

edit: how does your Ne go crazy? I am having difficulty pin pointing Ne to something concrete.

Well, it manifests in feeding Fi like mad.. So...that means, I'm going to take you apart, emotionally. And I'll use Ne to do it, asking you random questions and using your answers as pieces in the puzzle. As I refine the puzzle, I'll ask follow-up questions, double back on myself to verify I got all the angles right and jump to the next area. This tends to leave the other person, especially if they're S I've found, disoriented.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ha! the bolded print is SO right on it's not even funny.

Yeeeeeeeeess....... Soooo truuueee!

And as for the OP... I love ENFPs. My sister is one (We're partners in crime) and one of my close friends/ person I dated is one. But I'm currently a bit jaded with the latter one so I don't have much more feedback than that...at least for the moment :mellow:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, it manifests in feeding Fi like mad.. So...that means, I'm going to take you apart, emotionally. And I'll use Ne to do it, asking you random questions and using your answers as pieces in the puzzle. As I refine the puzzle, I'll ask follow-up questions, double back on myself to verify I got all the angles right and jump to the next area. This tends to leave the other person, especially if they're S I've found, disoriented.

That right there confuses the ever loving crap out of me! I lean towards distrusting the conclusions you come to because none of the questions or answers pointed to ANYTHING you said in the end. (Where "you" is the intuitive person asking me questions.) Even if it's accurate I have trouble believing any of it. It takes a LOT of explaning how you came to the conclusions and then I'm like "WTF! I need lesssons!!!! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?! Teach me, plz." Seriously, I wish I were more intuitive, but it just doesn't make sense! :(

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, it kinda..you know, you're a complex being, and I wanna know what makes you tick. And it's not like there's a beginning or an end. It's all interconnected and together it makes up who you are. Kinda like you taking apart a television or motorcycle. You don't have starting point or an end. It just depends on which part you want to take a look at first. And all of those parts somehow interconnect. So..i first do a superficial scan of who you are roughly, see which parts you're made up of, which are the main themes/values/points to focus on. And then I'll work my way through them all, in a random order, following the links I come accross, maybe wandering into another part and exploring a bit there again till I find another link back to the first part, or maybe to the third part. In the end, I do a survey and scan that everything makes (emotionally) sense coz any inconsistencies indicate that I missed a spot somewhere, which then needs finetuning.

Like I said, kinda like the first time you take something apart to clean it, and then have a closer look at everything, so afterwards you can put it all together again and you see how it makes sense that it works :D

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Like I said, kinda like the first time you take something apart to clean it, and then have a closer look at everything, so afterwards you can put it all together again and you see how it makes sense that it works :D

But...but then you have these conclusions....and... :cry: I don't know where they came from...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And you go on about these technical names for little tubes and electrical wires that may or may not contain fluid and have to be screwed open or shut in order to work. Do you think I have any idea as to how you get those things to work again after you take them apart? :D

I have to take your word for it, too, that you will be able to put it together again!
In the end, all that matters is that you do, and that it works, without bugs!

All that matters in the end, is that you can identify with our conclusions and if you cannot that you tell us, so we can either elaborate or finetune ;)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
And you go on about these technical names for little tubes and electrical wires that may or may not contain fluid and have to be screwed open or shut in order to work. Do you think I have any idea as to how you get those things to work again after you take them apart? :D

I have to take your word for it, too, that you will be able to put it together again!
In the end, all that matters is that you do, and that it works, without bugs!

All that matters in the end, is that you can identify with our conclusions and if you cannot that you tell us, so we can either elaborate or finetune ;)

I think I just need more NFP in my life! You guys....such a mystery to me! Keeping me interested and stuff! I'm a programmer, so there aren't too many of you guys floating around my workplace. Uh, where in the world do you guys hang out? :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here :D
Also, try looking for the clumsy person who's too busy daydreaming and never gets anything done coz they're stuck in their own world which nobody ever sees (except for a special few) ;)

You have no idea how much I reciprocate that sentiment btw...

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Here :D
Also, try looking for the clumsy person who's too busy daydreaming and never gets anything done coz they're stuck in their own world which nobody ever sees (except for a special few) ;)

You have no idea how much I reciprocate that sentiment btw...

Awesome! I always feel like I'm really boring, so the fact that someone else thinks my type is interesting is a nice little ego stroke :)

I'll be keeping my eye out for some o' you folks!

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
They usually are.

You can't claim they are identical if it is not the case that all members of one class are also members of the other class.

So are you an ISTj in socionics? Or are you one of the few that claim to be ISTP in both just like everyone else on here?

I'm an ISTj in socionics. A couple of the peeps here actually already picked that up too.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
do you guys think this couple would make a good match?
I have not been with an ISTP, but socionic theory says its great!
Im not sure why.

Any real life experiences?
Yes, I've been with one off and on for almost 10 years.

There have been many complications, and my ISTP is relatively immature, but if he were more mature, all around, we'd be a very beautiful, and exciting pair... consistently.

They bring out our needy side, and mine, at least, couldn't/can't understand my kooky emotionality.

But he sure loves him some crazy, and crazy we most definitely are! ;)

Never a dull moment with an ISTP, never.

:)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, it kinda..you know, you're a complex being, and I wanna know what makes you tick. And it's not like there's a beginning or an end. It's all interconnected and together it makes up who you are. Kinda like you taking apart a television or motorcycle. You don't have starting point or an end. It just depends on which part you want to take a look at first. And all of those parts somehow interconnect. So..i first do a superficial scan of who you are roughly, see which parts you're made up of, which are the main themes/values/points to focus on. And then I'll work my way through them all, in a random order, following the links I come accross, maybe wandering into another part and exploring a bit there again till I find another link back to the first part, or maybe to the third part. In the end, I do a survey and scan that everything makes (emotionally) sense coz any inconsistencies indicate that I missed a spot somewhere, which then needs finetuning.

The way you go about it sounds alot like an SP being in the moment. The whole random thing. I key off of concrete things though and tie it all together. With me and mechanics, I tend to first understand then learn the names. I can look at something and how its pieced together and know exactly how each piece fits together what its purpose is without even knowing what each piece is called. Its like figuring out a map and how everything is interconnected. In the process I go back and forth like crazy following. The cool thing is that as you get better you dont require so many questions so we can become extremely fast and good at it. Its why I think that an ISTP is best defined with as "reverse engineer". We do to concrete things with logic what they do to ideas and feelings.