• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPS

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Are you big risk takers? I realized that I'm not much of risk taker for an ISTP but I'm into athletics, like soccer, martial arts n such.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Risk taking, like crazy scrit n' such!?! Dare b' 2 teh' :devil:

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Are you big risk takers? I realized that I'm not much of risk taker for an ISTP but I'm into athletics, like soccer, martial arts n such.

I think I'm the reverse: not into sports or martial arts, but willing to take psychological risks, within limit, of course.

Oh and I think one of the places where risk-taking is rampant is video games.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think when I take risk, I'm not really all that consious of it. i.e. I like cool storms and like getting outside just to see what they do and are vs. seeking shelter.

As a kid, I was constantly exploring and checking things out... By the age of 5, I'd had my stomach pumped three times. I'd cranked the engine and driven my grandmothers car down a hill. Grandma almost broke her leg trying to stop the car.

I'd do crazy stuff like roll my riding toys to the top of a very steep hill, and put my hands in the air on the way down.

I loved doing motorcross for a bit. Jumping dirt bikes is fun and I just took to it naturally. Not many people jump a dirt bike their first trip out, but I sure as heck did.

Think for me it's just that I get so "into" an experience I'd forget about risk?

Like testing out my new tires by driving down the side of a mountain at 130 MPH.

hmm...I guess I like to take "controlled" risk. Like I won't push it but so far as that I feel competant.

I love waterboarding and tubing. Just being able to read the water, and adjusting to what the boat driver is doing.

I especially love taunting a boat driver who's intent upon knocking me off the tube and/or board.

One paticular tube ride I can remember flipping the tube vertical and pressing my feet forward angst the oncoming onslaught of water depth and speed.

The rope snapped and flew back at the boat, wrapping around another person's neck...leaving a red mark/welp. I felt bad when I found out that had happened, but still quietly proud when the driver of the boat said, they'd never seen anyone ride a tube like that. :)

I still don't see myself as being a "risk taker" Like I wouldn't jump a dirt bike into the back of a van. But I do enjoy pushing the envelop on occassion when my senses are fully engaged.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just remembered something crazy I did in my teens.

Well one of the crazies.

I was going to youth group activities at a church with one of my buddies. One night we all snuck out, went and got the keys to the church van. Loaded up on toilet paper from the fellowship hall, and drove around picking up guys and girls that were also up for an evening out.

So there's a church van, full of toilet paper and teens driving around at three in the morning rolling yards.

Refered to ourselves as the "Holy Rollers."

omfg...at the time I was just doing it for fun. If we'd gotten caught? Holy cow! Now that'd been a heap of trouble.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
haha @ riding a dirt bike at the edge of a van. Could this man be an ISTP? YouTube - Skydiving Accident ! Caught on Tape!!
Thing is I'm usually detached and in my head, I love bike riding in the woods or going on little adventures. I've doing jiu-jitsu for five years now(still loving it). The most I came to risk taking was egging houses in the middle of the city and driving at 180 km on the highway, with buddies. (that got me in an accident btw) . I also broke and smashed my fingers trying to catch two 20 pound weights when I was 18, I bounced it off his bed, the weights were about to hit the floor so I tried to catch it in mid air and smashed/broke 2 fingers.:doh: *sigh*...lol.. was in so much pain after...I didn't think about how stupid it was to bounce 20 pound weights off a bed and then catch them in mid air. I text and eat food in my car while driving, and just realized how dangerous it is. haha. I always played a shit load of video games I was heavy into music as a teenager I played the guitar and bass guitar for the school band. Now I just picked up drums.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would not say I take risks, but my wife would disagree.

She told me the other day that I almost rear ended her, when that thought never crossed my mind. I was simply reving my engine, and peeled out slightly while at a red light in my truck behind her. This was after I scared her letting my tires loose around a turn while we were side by side in a 2 lane turn.

I dont take risks, but I do scare others:D

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Oh and I think one of the places where risk-taking is rampant is video games.

Oh yeah especially when playing the board game risk with four buddies, just to see how the turn of events pull out.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah especially when playing the board game risk with four buddies, just to see how the turn of events pull out.

I thought risk in a video-game is going kamakaze(sp?). The person who says, screw it, jumps out in the middle and just goes berzerk. I must have confused stupidity with risk :doh:

ViCyniC

MBTI Type
ISTP
I do enjoy when I take risks, but I don't go overboard or become reckless because I seem to be more aware of the dangers and what can possibly go wrong. I sense that others may be even more risk takers than I am, but at the same time they probably have not assessed the potential dangers and how the environment behaves around them. For me, it's a balance between having fun and being safe.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha @ riding a dirt bike at the edge of a van. Could this man be an ISTP? YouTube - Skydiving Accident ! Caught on Tape!!
Thing is I'm usually detached and in my head, I love bike riding in the woods or going on little adventures. I've doing jiu-jitsu for five years now(still loving it). The most I came to risk taking was egging houses in the middle of the city and driving at 180 km on the highway, with buddies. (that got me in an accident btw) . I also broke and smashed my fingers trying to catch two 20 pound weights when I was 18, I bounced it off his bed, the weights were about to hit the floor so I tried to catch it in mid air and smashed/broke 2 fingers.:doh: *sigh*...lol.. was in so much pain after...I didn't think about how stupid it was to bounce 20 pound weights off a bed and then catch them in mid air. I text and eat food in my car while driving, and just realized how dangerous it is. haha. I always played a shit load of video games I was heavy into music as a teenager I played the guitar and bass guitar for the school band. Now I just picked up drums.

good video...yep, that's got to be an ISTP. I could tell by the way he bounced.

I always wanted to do some kind of martial arts. Just for the challenge and co-ordinated movement. Bet there's lots of opportunity for strategy too.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
good video...yep, that's got to be an ISTP. I could tell by the way he bounced.

I always wanted to do some kind of martial arts. Just for the challenge and co-ordinated movement. Bet there's lots of opportunity for strategy too.

haha rag doll.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do enjoy when I take risks, but I don't go overboard or become reckless because I seem to be more aware of the dangers and what can possibly go wrong. I sense that others may be even more risk takers than I am, but at the same time they probably have not assessed the potential dangers and how the environment behaves around them. For me, it's a balance between having fun and being safe.

hmm...seems to be a universal disconnect between the concept of what is actually risky and what ISTP's just naturally do. :yes:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
hmm...seems to be a universal disconnect between the concept of what is actually risky and what ISTP's just naturally do. :yes:

I think the risk taking behavior is more SP than anything though... I always see "risk-takers" in the descriptions but I can never relate to that, I always consider myself safe.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I thought risk in a video-game is going kamakaze(sp?). The person who says, screw it, jumps out in the middle and just goes berzerk. I must have confused stupidity with risk :doh:

That too...I also confuse doing dumb shit with risks...but I call it dumb shit. Maybe I'm insecure about my dumb shit behavior.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Part of getting older is looking back when something comes up that reminds...

Holy crap! I did that? wtf was I thinking? ;)

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Part of getting older is looking back when something comes up that reminds...

Holy crap! I did that? wtf was I thinking? ;)

yeah, my risk-taking has been in steady decline for about 15 years.

i remember someone on here saying that STPs take calculated risks, so what seems like risk to others doesn't seem like a risk to us.
a lot of times i see and take an opportunity, and someone else calls it a risk.