• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Am I an ISFP?

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
Hey guys, I'm new here. I've taken several personality tests before and I'd say 80% of the time I get an ISFP. I do think it sounds like me, but sometimes the descriptions can be vague and could fit a lot of people I think. So I wanted to see if any other ISFP members have any of the same characteristics I do...then maybe I'll know for sure if this is me:

--I'd say I'm really quiet and have always had a close low key group of friends...and I like it that way. Except I do wish I wasn't as quiet sometimes. I feel like it just becomes a habit. I'm really bad at conversation even with casual friends at times.

--I can't make an important decision to save my life. I hate boxing myself in and I always feel like I have to have multiple options. I think I made college way more stressful on myself than necessary by transferring and switching majors and now I can't even decide if I want to graduate.

--I really do like people and have found that I need a social aspect to my life or I get depressed. Having an active social life makes me enjoy alone time much more. I hate being alone all the time.

--When in a group setting I feel involved even if I'm not talking but I forget that other people in the group probably think I'm weird or not listening for not paying attention.

--I avoid conflict. I do have opinions but I know how to not let disagreements effect a relationship with someone.

--I'm easy going and low key to the extreme. I've been accused of being too laid back and that "you never get mad at anyone."

--The idea of settling on one career path scares the crap out of me...and I'm not against college but I can't stand that society thinks it's necessary. I also have a bad attitude towards corporate America though I think it'd be hard for me to move to another country.

This is just some things I have noticed about my personality. I do wish I was a little more out there with people because I really do like others though sometimes I think they think I'm being snotty or something. I also have a fear of rejection...which is normal I guess? But I've never been in a real relationship and as time goes on it just seems like it's getting more difficult to find someone(but not that I put a lot of effort into it anyways)

Anyways, this post is getting long but I'd love to talk with anyone who shares the same traits...or even if you don't...I like learning new things from different people.

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
Oh yeah and I could live for road trips and live music.

If I could tour the world while doing something with music I'd be set for life. I'd just have to choose where to go!

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This sounds pretty close to my personality.
So I'm gonna brand you with the official ISFP marker. ;)
But of coarse, lets wait for the other...what 3 or 4 ISFPs to make their rounds in here to give you more information. They know what they're talking about usually.
I'm just the entertainer ;)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading through, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

There's a lot more to do in life vs. sitting behind a desk or in a cube. If you don't want to go to college, I simply wouldn't do it.

If you can think of a trade you might be interested in, many community college graduates earn as good or better incomes and enjoy greater job stability.

If there's something you already love to do, and are naturally good at it...just do whatever that is.

Why not become a "roadie"...??? :yes:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem pretty ISFP, you'd know if you were ESFP. I can't really comment any further though...

Check these links out-

ISFP
ISFP - On A Team

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
Reading through, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

There's a lot more to do in life vs. sitting behind a desk or in a cube. If you don't want to go to college, I simply wouldn't do it.

If you can think of a trade you might be interested in, many community college graduates earn as good or better incomes and enjoy greater job stability.

If there's something you already love to do, and are naturally good at it...just do whatever that is.

Why not become a "roadie"...??? :yes:

Here's the thing...I'm like one semester from graduation lol. I have no idea what I'm doing but if I've suffered this far I can put up with it a little longer. I think an office job would kill me.

ster

I think an office job would kill me.
Oh, ditto.

I'm an ISFP and I could relate to your description, most of it. (Except for the live music -- since I've only been to one live concert in my life, and I only sort-of liked it. However I do really enjoy orchestra/jazz/band concerts.)

Btw, do you know your Enneagram type?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's the thing...I'm like one semester from graduation lol. I have no idea what I'm doing but if I've suffered this far I can put up with it a little longer. I think an office job would kill me.

One semester? yeh best to go ahead and finish just in case for later down the road. People tend to completely change careers quite a few times.

Julie1962

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Yes you sound like an ISFP! Do you like nature, animals, music, art, kids .. other indicators of being an ISFP.

As far as office job, I was a legal secretary years ago for about 11 years and while it could be boring at times, I liked the social aspect, the routine, the comfortable conditions (indoors, AC, heated). It paid well and provided good benefits. ALso it provided structure to my life which was desperately needed at the time.

Before dropping out you may want to consider how you are going to survive in the future with our economic situation rather than if you will be happy in a job. Starving will not bring you happiness, that's for sure! Just my 2 cents. We ISFPs usually don't look to the future, but live in the moment. Many moments go bye and before you know it you wake up and you are middle aged and only 20 years until retirement. It goes by in a blink of an eye.

Welcome!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm gonna say no since everybody else is saying yes.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Re office jobs, another former legal secretary here. I did occasionally find the work too repetitive but firms vary tremendously depending on what kind of law they specialize in.

Also have worked as an executive secretary. An ability to get along with all sorts of people can be a tremendous asset there, and I didn't find it boring. It was about the people. I wasn't exactly the most conservative dresser -- I can't stand matching business suit apparel -- but unstructured jackets with interesting tops, plus non-matching but coordinating pants/skirt, yes. I often liked to go to a nearby park for lunch and watch the hummingbirds dive-bomb each other. Something that's key with an office job is to have balance.

So, just to say: remain flexible. :) I didn't catch if you were about to graduate from high school or college. If high school, taking a year off before further schooling always sounded like a good idea to me. Or, if you decide to study plumbing or some hands-on community college career, go for it. If you decide on a bachelor's degree now or later, maybe go for something generalist. Schooling does usually affect salary and your ability to afford health care, car repairs, etc.

Have you taken a career planning course? Some are quite good.

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
Oh, ditto.

I'm an ISFP and I could relate to your description, most of it. (Except for the live music -- since I've only been to one live concert in my life, and I only sort-of liked it. However I do really enjoy orchestra/jazz/band concerts.)

Btw, do you know your Enneagram type?

sorry, what's an enneagram?

and thanks everyone for your input! a few times i've come up isfj or infp but confirmation from others is a lot of help

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I totally agree. I just graduated high school in may 09 and I'm taking a year off to work or chill or to pick up on my hobbies. I have plans to start college fall '10 to either major in graphic design or fashion design. I'm also interested in minoring in journalism :D
So you can most deffinatley take a break. Just evaluate what you want or where you'd like to be and see how you can get there. Not everyone is ment to go to college, but if you are, I say go for it. :D

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
yeah, you sound pretty ISFP to me too. Making life decisions is tough, I still don't know what I want to do. I've graduated from college (only changed my major once, but did add a totally unrelated minor in the last year) and didn't know what I wanted to do, but I like school alright so I applied for grad school and got in. I don't know for sure what to do when I get out, and it scares me that getting an advanced degree sometimes narrows the type of work people will hire you for, I like to keep my options open too! I'm thinking about becoming a community college professor though. But I don't think I'll ever really decide that's what I want to be until I've been one for about a year lol. I don't think I really make life decisions so much as life happens and I either stick with it if I like it, or make changes if I don't.

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
sorry, what's an enneagram?

and thanks everyone for your input! a few times i've come up isfj or infp but confirmation from others is a lot of help

An enneagram is a personality test which types you as one of 9 numbers. Your number is the personality that describes you the best.
These descriptions are from How the Enneagram Personality System Works

Type One is principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic.

Type Two is demonstrative, generous, people-pleasing, and possessive.

Type Three is adaptive, excelling, driven, and image-conscious.

Type Four is expressive, dramatic, self-absorbed, and temperamental.

Type Five is perceptive, innovative, secretive, and isolated.

Type Six is engaging, responsible, anxious, and suspicious.

Type Seven is spontaneous, versatile, distractible, and scattered.

Type Eight is self-confident, decisive, willful, and confrontational.

Type Nine is receptive, reassuring, agreeable, and complacent.

I usually get 2 or 9 as my dominant type, then 5, then 6 or 1.
There are also 3 "variants": Social, Self Preservation and Sexual. My variants were scored in that order (social being dominant and sexual being the inferior one). Note that you can be an introvert and still score highly on the social variant, and scoring lowly on the sexual variant does not mean you're bad in bed, I think it just has something to do with not being very assertive or something.
There are also "wings" of each type but I'm not really sure how they work.

As for whether you're an isfj, infp or isfp...you've pretty much defined yourself as having the introverted and feeling preferences.

For the Sensing/Intuition, ask yourself if you're practical and grounded (Sensors), or more abstract and imaginative (Intuitors).

For Judging/Perceiving, ask yourself if you're more structured, orderly and decisive (Judging) or more open minded, flexible and indecisive (Perceiving).

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
I've found out what the wings on the enneagram are supposed to mean. They are the numbers next to the enneagram type.

E.g. number 4 can either be 4w3 or 4w5
number 6 can be 6w5 or 6w7

I've scored as 2w1, 9w1 and 5w4.