• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Define Fi for an SP

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think so. I think Ti is about optimizing and making more precise in the moment. It's not step by step and breaking down into smaller pieces, chunking and planning the way Te is.

I think Fi is about harmonizing and assigning value and personal congruence in the moment. It's isn't pre-determined and stiff the way Fe can be.

I think we are as inwardly stiff as they are outwardly stiff (lol), we look to control the inner world and they look to control the outer world, I'm sure of it.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know if I have an inner world. I think I may have but lets just pretend I don't for a second. I don't think through my values, not in an organised way. I think a lot of that is hidden from me. Until you step on a trip wire, that sometimes I was even unaware of.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I think we are as inwardly stiff as they are outwardly stiff (lol), we look to control the inner world and they look to control the outer world, I'm sure of it.

yeah, i have thought of Fi as making decisions based on your internal feelings. how do i feel about this? i will base my actions on that.

whereas Fe is more about considereing the feelings of the group, and making decisions that will harmonize with everybody.

wolfy

awsm
yeah, i have thought of Fi as making decisions based on your internal feelings. how do i feel about this? i will base my actions on that.

whereas Fe is more about considereing the feelings of the group, and making decisions that will harmonize with everybody.

I think you are right and in that way Fi and Ti are similar. Personally, I don't organise how I feel, at least not at a conscious level. If there is somewhere that is not congruent I'm made aware of it. It is not a constant thing though.

It is interesting that both Fi and Se are sometimes described as a gut feeling.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
What does it mean to define yourself in terms of relational experiences?
Define yourself by your experience with others?
I think I define myself in some ways by the experiences I am able to create and have with others. But there is more than that. Ultimately, I see myself as separate, working on the experience.

Meh, you're asking a T what F means...

Well, if it is like others have said, that Ti and Fi are similar, how about this:

Since Ti primarily interacts with relationships between concepts, how about Fi interacting with relationships between emotion (or, I guess, mental events?)? By the way, I think interpersonal relationships are somewhat more Fe related. I also think it a bad idea to ignore your inner-self when thinking about Fi. It is Introverted Feeling, after all.

To expand a bit:
I guess Ti and Fi both have to deal with consistency, but Ti seeks consistency in thoughts, whereas Fi seeks consistency in ethics (things that should, or should not be).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would join in, but I seem to have an extreme lack of Fi. So once I figure out what I am missing I will let you know.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah. Fi is tricky to define. This above makes sense to me. Although, then wouldn't everyone have a high Fi? How else does someone make decisions? Who goes against their internal feelings about a specific situation?

Does having Fe mean that ultimately you are sacrificing your own wants for the greater good? Is Fe like Communism?

I think this thread has blown my own mind. :wacko:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The best person to describe this to you would be an ISFP since they are simultaneously Fi dom and an SP.

However, I am an Fi dom who has been very close to an ISFP, and of course our experience of Fi is slightly different - that's part of Fi. Fi isn't the same for everyone, because Fi is about individual passions and strongly held values unique to the individual.

Both of us are very passionate people who have a strong, stubborn attachment to our own value systems. We are both very physically affectionate, romantic, and moody.

He is a text-book ISFP in that he is very artistically inclined, and I think his Fi blended with Se shows nicely in the fact that he's captivated by the idea of visual and auditory stimuli causing people to have profound emotional experiences. He is simply very Fi in prioritizing being "real" and "true to himself."

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why bother to define it?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The best person to describe this to you would be an ISFP since they are simultaneously Fi dom and an SP.

However, I am an Fi dom who has been very close to an ISFP, and of course our experience of Fi is slightly different - that's part of Fi. Fi isn't the same for everyone, because Fi is about individual passions and strongly held values unique to the individual.

Both of us are very passionate people who have a strong, stubborn attachment to our own value systems. We are both very physically affectionate, romantic, and moody.

He is a text-book ISFP in that he is very artistically inclined, and I think his Fi blended with Se shows nicely in the fact that he's captivated by the idea of visual and auditory stimuli causing people to have profound emotional experiences. He is simply very Fi in prioritizing being "real" and "true to himself."

I feel a need to argue that Fi in regards to function is not different for everyone. It is the Si/Ni and Se/Ne that is different. Its fed not only different data from the same situation it is compared to different data from past situations.

So you are both driven by feelings. To me that would be Fi in this case. Now what drives those feelings and in what direction it drives them is based in everything we have seen in life.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I feel a need to argue that Fi in regards to function is not different for everyone. It is the Si/Ni and Se/Ne that is different. Its fed not only different data from the same situation it is compared to different data from past situations.

So you are both driven by feelings. To me that would be Fi in this case. Now what drives those feelings and in what direction it drives them is based in everything we have seen in life.

Um, yeah, and that's why Fi is different for everyone. Fe is more similar because it's based on group or community values.

However, you could have two Fi doms, and have one who has a value system which is an individualized variation of Fe cultural norms, and another whose Fi values are completely off the charts completely different from mainstream society. While the impulse is the same (strongly held individual value system or personal vision) the experience of Fi can greatly vary among individual people.

It's not just the Si/Ni and Se/Ne.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um, yeah, and that's why Fi is different for everyone. Fe is more similar because it's based on group or community values.

However, you could have two Fi doms, and have one who has a value system which is an individualized variation of Fe cultural norms, and another whose Fi values are completely off the charts completely different from mainstream society. While the impulse is the same (strongly held individual value system or personal vision) the experience of Fi can greatly vary among individual people.

It's not just the Si/Ni and Se/Ne.

Not argueing, but questioning. Isnt it life experiences that shape our values whether it be mainstream or not?

Now that I think about it, with NF types it may not be experience that drives it where as with SFP it would be experience. Your is driven more from Ne. But I still wonder if the function itself is still not similiar across people, just fed differently.

If Fi is itself values then you could actually change the Fi function since we can change our values.

Since you are here, if Ne is not based on experience then how do you know your values are true and not just some internal thing you came up with that sounded good? Ne seems like it is something you test, something to experience where as Se is more something to dissect, something you have experienced. Does this make Fi itself different?

Sorry alot of ramblings going on here, inner mind of an ISTP.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not argueing, but questioning. Isnt it life experiences that shape our values whether it be mainstream or not?

Now that I think about it, with NF types it may not be experience that drives it where as with SFP it would be experience. Your is driven more from Ne. But I still wonder if the function itself is still not similiar across people, just fed differently.

If Fi is itself values then you could actually change the Fi function since we can change our values.

Since you are here, if Ne is not based on experience then how do you know your values are true and not just some internal thing you came up with that sounded good? Ne seems like it is something you test, something to experience where as Se is more something to dissect, something you have experienced. Does this make Fi itself different?

Sorry alot of ramblings going on here, inner mind of an ISTP.

Ne is more similar to Se than you think...I actually learned this from Simulated World. Ne also takes in experience from the outside world. INFPs additionally have tertiary Si which is based upon past experience. Se and Ne just take in experience differently, but still thrive upon it.

Sometimes my ISFPs value system has been less practical than my own, I can reassure you. There have been real life situations in the past where sticking to his guns was in some cases silly, and in others actually self-destructive to a degree.

Ti is similar to Fi, though, in that it can possibly be just an internal thing that you come up with that isn't well-adapted to the outside world. Of course any time this occurs there are plusses and minuses.

Sometimes Ti or Fi can have ridiculous conclusions that never take shape in reality, while on the other hand they can provide the individual with the strength to create new realities in the face of obstacles. I guess any function can be used for good or ill.

B

brainheart

I think you are right and in that way Fi and Ti are similar. Personally, I don't organise how I feel, at least not at a conscious level. If there is somewhere that is not congruent I'm made aware of it. It is not a constant thing though.

I'd say that's how it works for me. I think dominant Fi-ers often have a hard time understanding it because it's so abstract, not to mention it's what we just figure everyone's like, deep down. The revelation came to me when I realized that that's not the case. Then it started to make sense.

I do not organize, like, anything. Why would I organize my thoughts or emotions? But I know when something rubs me the wrong way when it happens or that it makes me feel sick or that it makes me blissfully happy.

I've been spending a lot of time lately hanging with and treasuring my Fi. I'll just sit outside watching a grasshopper and feeling all my love for it, all of its value. Or I'll watch movies that move me and just allow myself to bawl. Or the same with books. Or I'll play my guitar and sing and allow myself to express all of my emotion, not hide one bit of it.

I think throughout my life my Fi has been discounted by others and myself as a sort of sentimental hogwash so I kept it under lock and key as much as possible, operating under the auspices of my other functions that others see as acceptable or valid. Now I realize how kick ass Fi is- what a gift it is- and I am totally loving it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi is based on what is seen as important in the given situation by the person, what there is of value to the person, and evaluating how you felt about something, among other things. Fi would see the value of the trees in the forest.

wolfy

awsm
I'd say that's how it works for me. I think dominant Fi-ers often have a hard time understanding it because it's so abstract, not to mention it's what we just figure everyone's like, deep down. The revelation came to me when I realized that that's not the case. Then it started to make sense.

I do not organize, like, anything. Why would I organize my thoughts or emotions? But I know when something rubs me the wrong way when it happens or that it makes me feel sick or that it makes me blissfully happy.

I've been spending a lot of time lately hanging with and treasuring my Fi. I'll just sit outside watching a grasshopper and feeling all my love for it, all of its value. Or I'll watch movies that move me and just allow myself to bawl. Or the same with books. Or I'll play my guitar and sing and allow myself to express all of my emotion, not hide one bit of it.

I think throughout my life my Fi has been discounted by others and myself as a sort of sentimental hogwash so I kept it under lock and key as much as possible, operating under the auspices of my other functions that others see as acceptable or valid. Now I realize how kick ass Fi is- what a gift it is- and I am totally loving it.

Thanks, that was interesting. I can relate to that.

Fi is based on what is seen as important in the given situation by the person, what there is of value to the person, and evaluating how you felt about something, among other things. Fi would see the value of the trees in the forest.

I understand what you are saying here. Not the evaluating part though, I don't evaluate me. I evaluate my environment, how my environment is affecting me.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh, dear gawd! I read the whole thread and I don't get this "Fi" thing everyone is talking about.

:thinking:

Nevermind

:headphne:

warm8

MBTI Type
ESFP
here's the simplest way to define Fi:

EXHI003869_600.jpg

and simultaneously,

coin%20de%20mire.jpg

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh, dear gawd! I read the whole thread and I don't get this "Fi" thing everyone is talking about.

:thinking:

Nevermind

:headphne:

im with you :headphne:, I think they are bringing in Fi in regard to what they feel like Fi is. So they are using what they feel is Fi to describe Fi and this in itself is why Fi is so hard to define. My head is not spinning, but I am sure others are as trying to understand or follow that will just take you in circles:D This is inturn a logical deduction of this situation.

So how does an Fi define Fi without bringing in Fi to make the judgement? Because when you bring in Fi you then make it personal or what value Fi brings to you, which is not the whole of Fi.

edit: I didnt really mean or try to debunk what Fi thinks about Fi, but it seems like thats what I did.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So Fi is the sound of one hand clapping :cheese: