• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs...Is she right?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP
Good: Calm. Clever. Always into something new or unusual. Mentally impossible to break. Determined. Weirdly easy going. Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine. Protective.

Bad: Go find a manual on how to defuse a bomb. Immediately.

:popc1:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

My bomb has a very long fuse, but I would say yes.

Calm - to a fault

Clever - I wont admit to clever, smart, intelligent, etc. :zipped lips:

Always into something new or unusual - I love to learn pretty much anything, I have sat there interested while my grandma explained how she makes pottery.

Mentally impossible to break - I will let you know what I want you to know.

Determined - I dont take no for an answer, I will break you and get what I want. Patience trumps everything.

Weirdly easy going - Despite our ability to have an emotionally high IQ, we are extremely emotionally stable which allows us to be very easy going and care free.

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine - I cant explain either, but :yes:.

Protective - extremely protective.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who do you love and protect and how does it show?

I always get the impression you boys don't have a lot of patience actually. Determined, yes..but also in a hurry and not about to put up with someone's crap :ninja:

And what's the ETA on the bomb, and where's the manual to defuse it???

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who do you love and protect and how does it show?

I always get the impression you boys don't have a lot of patience actually. Determined, yes..but also in a hurry and not about to put up with someone's crap :ninja:

And what's the ETA on the bomb, and where's the manual to defuse it???

I will let people handle there own battles, but I will step in if it gets out of hand. My wife can generally handle her own battles with others so I dont step in much in this regard. With her its more protecting her from herself. Trying to keep her wants from being pushed back because of her drive. Imagine trying to protect someone from yourself though.

I would think that being P is about being open and understanding and that is what drives patience.

For me, I hold the manual and I decide if I let it blow or not and control how much it blows. I am in complete control of my internal world.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I cannot convince you to at least let me skim the manual? ;)

What about your friends? Do you protect them, show them that you care in a specific way?

In fact, what does an ISTP who's falling in love look like?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I cannot convince you to at least let me skim the manual? ;)

What about your friends? Do you protect them, show them that you care in a specific way?

In fact, what does an ISTP who's falling in love look like?

I try to treat everyone the same, pretty much everyone I care about I love in differing intensities and I will protect them all. People just kinda slowly move up the chain of importance in my life.

A

A window to the soul

My bomb has a very long fuse, but I would say yes.

Calm - to a fault

Clever - I wont admit to clever, smart, intelligent, etc. :zipped lips:

Always into something new or unusual - I love to learn pretty much anything, I have sat there interested while my grandma explained how she makes pottery.

Mentally impossible to break - I will let you know what I want you to know.

Determined - I dont take no for an answer, I will break you and get what I want. Patience trumps everything.

Weirdly easy going - Despite our ability to have an emotionally high IQ, we are extremely emotionally stable which allows us to be very easy going and care free.

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine - I cant explain either, but :yes:.

Protective - extremely protective.

I like your style! :wubbie:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
ISTP
Good: Calm. Clever. Always into something new or unusual. Mentally impossible to break. Determined. Weirdly easy going. Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine. Protective.

Bad: Go find a manual on how to defuse a bomb. Immediately.

i like this description. but it is pretty flattering.
it does seem like a lot of ISTPs are pretty clever, i have never felt that way though. i feel i am more of a slow and constant pace, without the quickness for being clever.
and i think i am not into new things that often. maybe it seems that way to others because i don't always talk about all my interests, so i might not ever mention something i really enjoy unless it comes up naturally.

and with the bomb thing, it is very very rare that i get angry, it usually takes very serious issues of integrity to trigger me. but i do tend to really go at it when i do get angry.
i will give away one of my secrets, if i am right on the verge of a total explosion i always say: "i am not in the mood." that's true.

seamaid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
ISTP

Calm. Oh yes. He does once in a while go off on little '[something] could be better if...' rants, but it's never serious and passes as quickly as it comes. It's just one of the ways he works himself up into comic giddiness. He's very calm most other times, especially when in 'scanning the environment for dangers' mode and his 'take action' mode. :wubbie: And I've never had an actual fight with him in our six months together - the two times his actions hurt/angered me were because I didn't know or understand him well enough to see otherwise. He's never one to escalate things. He defuses my bomb in a logical, matter-of-fact way that sometimes leaves me speechless.

Clever. Oh my, this is one of the things I love best about him! Very funny and witty. Totally disarming. If it wasn't such a charming trait, I'd get annoyed because many of my serious conversations get derailed with his off-the-cuff smart@ss remarks. But he can turn off his mischievousness and be there for me when I truly need a listener.

Always into something new or unusual. Well, in his own words, he's attracted to bright and shiny objects. And to date, we have not eaten at the same restaurant twice! He is very adventurous and spontaneous, but astonishingly, he has never left the country, so one of my goals is to get us traveling abroad.

Mentally impossible to break. Hmm. I've never tried to mentally break him, so not sure what to say to that, but it sounds like him. He's fearless. Not stubborn to an irrational degree, flexible and open enough to revise his ideas if you give him sound reasoning. Very focused. When he is concentrating on something, he gives it his ALL.

Determined. Um, similar to above. When I tell him, "sigh this is impossible..." he's always ready to refute me. Nada es imposible for him. He is very positive, very confident, very 'doer'. Not one to encourage with words, but does so inadvertently by his example. :wubbie:

Weirdly easy going. Like what I said about Calm above. He's all about 'Live and let live'. This makes me do and say odd, silly things, and sometimes even politically incorrect things, just to see how easygoing he is. Yeah, he's pretty tolerant but still has his opinions on stuff, which he doesn't necessarily feel the need to reveal.

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine. I hope this is true. Sounds like INFP love. All I know is, the level of trust and closeness has slowly but surely grown between us with a lot of time (at least a few months). It used to be that I'd doubt whether he really cared for me, or if he was just using me. It was his secretiveness, lack of affectionate gestures, and my own cynicism that made me doubt him. But as time went on, I learned to not fear initiating what I wanted from him, to totally trust him, and in turn, he has opened up a lot more and isn't afraid to be more affectionate with me. Makes me feel like I am truly earning his love, his every kiss, his every word of endearment, and really makes me look forward to what the future has in store! His love isn't cheap. It's genuine and full of integrity.

Protective. Yes. Very. From the get-go. But not overly. He keeps me from walking into traffic (not that I actually would! :steam: ). He makes sure I take my vitamins (if only for the amusement of seeing me grumble while eating them). He makes sure I'm always fed well. He definitely watches out for me, in a subtle way. And comfortingly, he usually takes my side when I rant about something.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Pink knows her ISTPs :D

Man I like your style! :wubbie:

Nuh uh girl, that one's taken, and if he wouldn't be, get in line! I'm on to you :thelook:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Calm - I'm pretty hard to fluster. I partly feel like this was learned, though. In my teens, my family life had a lot of turmoil... I just learned to take everything in stride, so it's pretty hard to shock me out of a calm or surprise me.

Clever - Uh... I'll just agree with what Poki and Kingfisher said on this one.

Always into something new or unusual - Yes, please.

Mentally impossible to break - I would advise not trying. As soon as I get wind of any of these kinds of motivations from someone, it is absolutely not going to happen. This usually involves what I call my "Escape Artist" mode. Which I am too lazy to explain right now.

Determined - If I have sufficent motivation, it will get done.

Weirdly easy going - Yeah... I'm down for whatever, unless I say otherwise. Which is rare.

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine - Shh... That's secret.

Protective - I'm -very- protective of a select few people. And if I feel like one of these people were wronged or harmed to a certain point, my "calm" will break and I will absoultely tear you to tiny bits. More often than not though, that's hard to stir out of me. In general, I'm a very subtle protector of my friends and family. I do it in such a way that doesn't draw attention to what I'm doing.

Go find a manual on how to defuse a bomb. Immediately - I can count on one hand how many times I've lost it with people I don't know well or I'm not comfortable with. And it's still a very rare thing in regards to people I -am- comfortable with. It happened a lot more when I was in my teens. In the past few years or so, I can still probably count the number of times on one hand. Although I do get irritated somewhat frequently. I usually just keep that to myself, though.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
if i am right on the verge of a total explosion i always say: "i am not in the mood." that's true.

I do that too! Maybe that could be put into the description as one of the "warning signs."

_Violence_

Well, despite "feeling" I am still an INTP but with no logical reasoning to back it up I can only go with what research has shown so far, that I am most likely an ISTP. Not changing my type though yet. ;)

Giving this a shot.... maybe you guys can help me pinpoint my "true" type if such a thing existed. Maybe this will show I am not really an ISTP. Who knows?

Calm - Disturbingly so. Actually, the more emotionally disturbed I am, the more calm I become, at least the physical expression of it. My mind might be in turmoil, but that is not going to show. And in due time, I will reason my way out of it and get back to my usual light-hearted mood, which is 95% of the time.

Clever - Sure. I'm fairly invented/creative, I guess.

Always into something new or unusual - No doubt about it.

Mentally impossible to break - I would say this is spot on. Again, even if I am in a true pinch emotionally or intellectually, you're not gonna know. Learn to live with it.

Determined - Yes, but not stupidly so. I will step back and look at things rationally to determine just how much determination the situation demands. :p

Weirdly easy going - With my insanely morbid, sarcastic, dark, and dry sense of humor, it's impossible to disturb me.

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine - Love my closest friends like my brothers and sisters. Always trying to determine which one I would be willing to block a bullet for, logically.

Protective - I have no qualms about killing someone to protect a friend or family, if that says anything.

Go find a manual on how to defuse a bomb. Immediately - If I am on the verge of exploding (very rare) please get away. If not, you will be EXTREMELY disturbed. Add the fact that I will be back to normal 10 minutes later with a big smirk on my face and laughing at my own little jokes again, you will probably be even MORE disturbed by my seemingly erratic and fucked up behavior.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Calm - I've been told I'm "quietly intense" more than calm. That fits better. I'm not all that calm. I feel like I'm always on the verge of kicking into a higher gear. The exception would be in emergency or emotionally heightened situations. I get really calm when everyone else is freaking out.

Clever - Eh. I can crack a joke or two.

Always into something new or unusual - :yes: Let's see. Last year it was fiddle lessons and roller-derby and I was getting curious about archery before school started...

Mentally impossible to break - The ISTP has to decide to "let" someone get the chance to break them. In that sense. we mentally break ourselves. Even if someone else does it.

Weirdly easy going - I just don't care about most of the stuff that everyone else cares about.

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine - Yeah. When it's there - it's there. It's at a level we can't even understand.

Protective - extremely protective. I guess so. I stop myself from acting on this impulse a lot!!! Mainly because I don't want to step on that person's toes or get in their business. However, when there is a loudmouth or someone talking shit or even bothering a friend of mine and I don't see them defending themselves or they seem uncomfortable - watch out because I will step in.

Go find a manual on how to diffuse a bomb. Immediately. Few and far between but yeah. :blush:

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
Calm - only on the outside.

Clever - me? No.

Always into something new/unusual - Again, I don't know what you're talking about. Stay out of my room, though. It's uhh... messy.

Mentally impossible to break - I don't think I could ever "break", but I tend to learn a lot about myself as I let someone get closer to me.

Weirdly easy going - Every storm needs a center of calm

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine - Don't make me say that lovey dovey crap.

Protective - Only when necessary. I'd rather mind my own business.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Calm. - Yep

Clever. - Extremely

Always into something new or unusual. - Yeah, we always gotta be tinkering something.

Mentally impossible to break. - The reason for this is because we never let anyone too close to us. ISTP rage is pretty devastating though.

Weirdly easy going. - Yeah

Loves you with a level of intensity that you can't imagine. - It's really hard to love someone.

Protective. - Sort of.

tayto

ISTP's have all the traits of a superhero. Calm in a crisis, protective, arsenal of weapons, likes to remain annonymous, quickwitted comebacks to make the bad guys look like tools.

I think ye should all start a superhero gang. Or have you already?