• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs and their feelings...

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not terribly hard for me to talk about, but I have a difficulty explaining them to most people.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not terribly hard for me to talk about, but I have a difficulty explaining them to most people.

What if I tugged on your ears and offered you a chewy rope toy?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time and trust. It depends on the nature of the person as observed by me.

Also, conversation while focused on something else or being active. Not face to face.

You said it all in two sentences. :D

All this talk of baked goods...but the way to my heart is through bacon :holy: ....mmm....bacon. :drool:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8

it is the same for me. when i talk about feelings the thing i struggle with most is trying to describe/explain them in the best way possible. as accurately as possible. when i talk about feelings i like to talk about exact, specific feelings, exactly what is being felt. so i want to know the person and i are talking about the exact same thing.

All this talk of baked goods...but the way to my heart is through bacon :holy: ....mmm....bacon. :drool:

oh god, bacon. forget cake and cookies. bacon and steak. :drool:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it is the same for me. when i talk about feelings the thing i struggle with most is trying to describe/explain them in the best way possible. as accurately as possible. when i talk about feelings i like to talk about exact, specific feelings, exactly what is being felt. so i want to know the person and i are talking about the exact same thing.

Yes. Also, it's hard to talk about them because if I'm talking about my feelings about a particular situation or person I'm talking about that particular situation or person. I handle every situation differently. So my feelings or emotional decisions vary dramatically. Because people vary dramatically.
Maybe it's my own paranoia but I feel that a lot of times people hear me speak about my feelings about one thing and "cut and paste" it too other things in my life. I think they want me to be predictable about emotional decisions. And I'm not. I don't like to be typecasted into any role. This is why I don't talk about emotional things that much. Because for me to do so, I would need to explain my thought process about everything behind it and it's just too exhausting. Much like reading this post must be. :doh:

oh god, bacon. forget cake and cookies. bacon and steak. :drool:

What's funny is that we wrap bacon around other food to make it better -bacon wrapped steak?! Yes, sir! That's how awesome it is! :laugh:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes. Also, it's hard to talk about them because if I'm talking about my feelings about a particular situation or person I'm talking about that particular situation or person. I handle every situation differently. So my feelings or emotional decisions vary dramatically. Because people vary dramatically.
Maybe it's my own paranoia but I feel that a lot of times people hear me speak about my feelings about one thing and "cut and paste" it too other things in my life. I think they want me to be predictable about emotional decisions. And I'm not. I don't like to be typecasted into any role. This is why I don't talk about emotional things that much. Because for me to do so, I would need to explain my thought process about everything behind it and it's just too exhausting. Much like reading this post must be. :doh:

i completely agree! great post!
although with just the right person, when we are on the same page and understanding each other, then i actually do enjoy talking about emotions. it can be envigorating.

Maybe it's my own paranoia but I feel that a lot of times people hear me speak about my feelings about one thing and "cut and paste" it too other things in my life.

that is something i worry about too. it bothers me a lot.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

What's funny is that we wrap bacon around other food to make it better -bacon wrapped steak?! Yes, sir! That's how awesome it is! :laugh:

I agree so much to the bolded parts:yes:

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
ISTP Mission: Change topic from feelings to bacon.

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
Wow!! thanks for all the responses!

My ISTP is just like that! He feels thirst/hunger/turned on/fatigue etc with such intensity, but when it comes to more complex feelings, he seems to simply not entertain them.

I'm going to speculate something... do ISTPs allow these sorts of feelings to affect them because there is a direct way to address them? Does that make a feeling valid for an ISTP? Do ISTPs ignore their emotions because they think they are invalid, or somehow not important?

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Wow!! thanks for all the responses!

My ISTP is just like that! He feels thirst/hunger/turned on/fatigue etc with such intensity, but when it comes to more complex feelings, he seems to simply not entertain them.

I'm going to speculate something... do ISTPs allow these sorts of feelings to affect them because there is a direct way to address them? Does that make a feeling valid for an ISTP? Do ISTPs ignore their emotions because they think they are invalid, or somehow not important?

Feelings are just irrelevant to anything I ever need to do. (Focus on the word "need".) Basically they aren't important. It doesn't matter how I feel, life will still go on. People aren't going to spontaneously combust because I disregard my emotions. :tongue:

When I form an opinion on something, it's really simple...such as "do I like it?" Moooooost of the time, that's as far as it goes. Who really cares beyond that? What difference does it make how I feel about it? Hardly any. So why bother investing brain power in something that has little-to-no consequence? Moving on!

Ok, did I do a good enough job making feelings seem insignificant? :D

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I cannot speak for other people, however most of the time I just feel even flow...not really aware of any paticular emotions?

If I do start feeling out of sorts, sometimes it's like...ok where in the heck is that feeling coming from? Or if I get angry and *explode* it's usually a culmination of several events I might not have "registered."

My closest friend is an ISTP, and there was an evening he called me up to discuss an upsetting situation with his relationship. My heart started pounding so hard he could hear me stressing...in silence.

What was ironically funny about the situation, there I was thinking...ok, dude's upset but he won't tell me where he is, and then the thought occurred to me. He can't talk to me face to face, not on something so close to him.

Wasn't until latter it occurred to me I'm exactly the same way.

So, generally I'm not aware of any feelings except for a nice even flow bliss.
But when an ISTP does experience an emotion it's typically intense? Bursting into tears doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurance for an ISTP male.

But it's a very rare situation where someone else is a witness to it.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Feelings are just irrelevant to anything I ever need to do. (Focus on the word "need".) Basically they aren't important. It doesn't matter how I feel, life will still go on. People aren't going to spontaneously combust because I disregard my emotions. :tongue:

When I form an opinion on something, it's really simple...such as "do I like it?" Moooooost of the time, that's as far as it goes. Who really cares beyond that? What difference does it make how I feel about it? Hardly any. So why bother investing brain power in something that has little-to-no consequence? Moving on!

Wow, you're so cold, like a fridge.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You brought home the bacon! :yes:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And it just bounces off huh? Well that could be fun... Still even fridges have a warm motor powering it.

So do ISTP's, that's why so many people are magnetically drawn to us.

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
mcmartinez84,

you definitely confirmed my speculations. and no, lol, you have not convinced me that feelings are insignificant. but I believe you that you feel satisfied with your answer.

see, it's easy for me to understand why an SJ would see emotions as irrelevant. emotions are messy and disorganized and they like structure and streamlines. But ISTPs are SPs, they thrive on experiences.

how is the way your bacon tastes more or less significant than how a current event makes you feel joyous, or disappointed?

it's not really so much about if other people find your feelings important or not, but how you engage yourself in your experiences, see what I mean?