• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Objectives

wolfy

awsm
You can't have tactics without objectives. Clarity of the objective is essential.
Do you form your objectives on the fly?
How many of you sit down and work through overall objectives every now and again?
Or anything else you have thought about on objectives.

Here is an interesting quote on strategy, objectives and tactics that might be relevant to SPs.

Referring to non-military uses of the term, in his work The Practice of Everyday Life, French scholar Michel de Certeau suggests strategy and tactics are alike in that they both operate in space and time.

However, unlike strategy, which inherently creates its own autonomous space:

“A tactic is a calculated action determined by the absence of a proper locus. … The space of a tactic is the space of the other” (ibid., 36-37). A tactic is deployed “on and with a terrain imposed on it and organized by the law of a foreign power.” One who deploys a tactic “must vigilantly make use of the cracks that particular conjunctions open in the surveillance of the proprietary powers. It poaches in them. It creates surprises in them” (ibid. 37).

Tactics, then, are isolated actions or events that take advantage of opportunities offered by the gaps within a given strategic system, although the tactician never holds onto these advantages. Tactics cut across a strategic field, exploiting gaps in it to generate novel and inventive outcomes. Tactics are usually used to spoil the running context. Basically the position you and your squad follow.

EDIT. Note to self... It might be better to merge this with the tactics thread if nothing comes of it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can't have tactics without objectives. Clarity of the objective is essential.
Do you form your objectives on the fly?
How many of you sit down and work through overall objectives every now and again?
Or anything else you have thought about on objectives.

Here is an interesting quote on strategy, objectives and tactics that might be relevant to SPs.

EDIT. Note to self... It might be better to merge this with the tactics thread if nothing comes of it.

I will piss in a Ziploc bag and mail it to you if no one else responds to this. This is great.

OBJECTIVES:
-------------
I have three lists of objectives:

(1) Short Term = 1 Year or Less
(2) Mid-Range = 2-5 Years
(3) Long-Range = 5 Years -> RIP

I am actually strongest at accomplishing my mid-range objectives. If I graduate in a year I will have done this for 2 consecutive non-overlapping 5 year periods.

I manage the short range OK, but I do havbe a tendency to delve into too many things at once. Typical ESTP. I have become better at this as of late (last two years) as I have a self-imposed moratorium on new projects at home so that i can finish those that have been 50-80% completed.

My long range goals are in pretty good shape too. I am married to the woman of my dreams, she is genetically perfect in my eyes and we have made beautiful kids, I have a stable job that pays decently and has excellent benefits, I have burned no bridges, and I remained in reasonably good financial condition.

Examples of short term goals for me include painting my deck, finish the kids closets with shelves/etc, Clean out the shed, build a dog kennel, etc.

Examples of mid-range goals include obtain professional profject manager certification, get a graduate degree, break a salary threshold of "X" by "Y" date, etc.

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
Ideally, my ultimate objective would be ruling the world.
However, that would take achieving numerous smaller objectives, and, unfortunately, I have no clue as to what they should be. Yet.
But I am working my way.

I don't really establish objectives. It's very hard to find something achievable and worthy at the same time. I find myself drifting without actually trying to accomplish something. Very bad, since I do manage to do my goals when I have them.

The problem is that once that I have proven to myself that I can do that, I lose all my interest in it. Huge drawback if you are set on world domination.

wolfy

awsm
I have a long term direction. Not a really clear objective.
I enjoy short term objectives, but as the time frame gets longer I like to move from specific to general. Otherwise I find it stifling.

I also like to set objectives on the fly. What are we doing here? What do I want?

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Most my objectives are created on the fly.

I have a few general objectives like "make money" but few longer range goals.

Starting to document and categorize my long term goals, because it is becoming more obvious that they are important to create. Honestly, I have few clear objectives that extend longer than a month or so into the future. Past that, I have the vague idea of "find a career or major I like" (business, architecture?), and a few ideas on how or what I could be doing, like starting a franchise, or expanding my business, or getting into real estate.

I've read that "lack of a clear objective is sure way toward mediocrity." I think that's true.

I'm being proactive about shaping up my act by using organizational tools and putting systems in place for goal keeping, that let me 1) let me develop what my goals are 2) figure out how to do them and 3) be reminded what those goals are on a regular basis, lest I lose focus.

I like this series of threads, wolfy.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My objective is just to make it through the day, enjoying myself as much as possible.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
My objectives for today are to pick up all of those apples that fell off of the tree onto the driveway, once it stops raining... also to draw something in my sketchbook... crochet... write in my journal... practice my dance steps... give out candy to the kids... and just experience the day as it unfolds.
Longer term objectives: sing in concerts, walk as much as possible, maintain my blog...
Even longer term objectives: write a book about my walk through the midwest, get a truly Awesome Camera, go back to Central America to (re) learn Spanish (it's gotten rusty), become a Real Travel Writer...
Hopes and Dreams that don't quite qualify as Objectives because I may not actually be able to accomplish them: End the Wars, Become a Passenger on the Space Shuttle (without paying ten arms and fifteen legs - the ultimate trip for a Real Travel Writer), write a novel, live somewhere that is Pedestrian friendly and has good, user-friendly mass transit, live in Tuscany (whether it qualifies as pedestrian friendly or not, it's still... sigh... Tuscany).

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Hi Wolfy,
It looks like the apple collecting objective is going to have to become tomorrow's objective, as the weather won't cooperate.
Thank you for starting this thread. It was a lot of fun.

Those are some pretty cool objectives you have. Good luck.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Maybe you ought to plot smaller things to rule. For example, you could rule the bathroom and TV remote control. Even with these little things, you could enjoy a great deal of power.
Eventually, you could expand to kitchen, basement, and garden. Then the neighborhood. Then the city. Then your nation, then your continent, your hemisphere, the world, and finally, the universe!!!!
One step at a time and you'll be king of the universe, even if it takes a million years!!!!!

Ideally, my ultimate objective would be ruling the world.
However, that would take achieving numerous smaller objectives, and, unfortunately, I have no clue as to what they should be. Yet.
But I am working my way.

I don't really establish objectives. It's very hard to find something achievable and worthy at the same time. I find myself drifting without actually trying to accomplish something. Very bad, since I do manage to do my goals when I have them.

The problem is that once that I have proven to myself that I can do that, I lose all my interest in it. Huge drawback if you are set on world domination.

LEGERdeMAIN

objectives? long range? NOOOOOOO

I manipulate my way into cracks on an hour by hour basis for short term gains, because, as far as I can tell, it's the best way to go.

My long term objective is to not die of cancer or get run over by a fast moving object. I reserve the right to use force.