• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Tactics

wolfy

awsm
SP's greatest strength is tactical variation. Talk about tactics.
Any little thing will do.

ShadowPage

What kinds of actions and thought processes point to a tendency for tactical skills?
I'm curious to know if I just can't tell because it's like second nature or something...
Does a preference to improvise (even when one can plan out an action) count?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Sehr interresant!

Tactics successful in everyday life, non-combat.

-Smile! It's contagious. People in a good mood are disarmed and more willing to work with you than those whoe are in a bad mood.

-Talk to the person, not their position. If you speak to a hotel desk clerk in a rude manner, he/she can tell you that no rooms are available, whether that is the case or not. Treat others as you wish to be treated...

-Measure twice, cut once. Think before you speak. Look before you leap.

-Trust your gut and gauge your progress as often as is necessary to determine if your current tactic is yielding desired results, or if you need to change your gameplan.

-Don't be predictable.

-When possible, err on the side of being overly genreous, and overly formal. You will be better received as a well dressed/groomed, generous person, than a slovenly tightwad.

-Be persistent. Winning the battle is not always winning the war. Don't get mired in unecesssary details, and don't lose sight of the big picture.

-To maneuver around obstacles, identify a desire of your counterpart and help them fulfill it if they can help you with yours. Quid pro quo. This for that.

-Thank people for any help they give you. Greet people by name. Always take the time to say hello to people you know.

Tactics successful in everyday life, combat.

Hopefully these are hardly ever necessary, but if they are:

-Handle conflict head on, do not show any signs of weakness if someone tries to intimidate you.

-End the conflict as quickly as possible. Do not try to look like a superhero. Neutralize your opponent, and move on.

-Fight fire with more of the same. Unleash an overwhelming amount of force as early as possible, preferably in a pre-emptive strike.

-Don't be afraid to take a hit. No one wins in a fight. Both parties will hurt the next day, regardless if they are the victor or loser.

-It's better to stand up for yourself and take a walloping than to allow others to intimidate you. A life without dignity is not a good one. None of us were put here to be abused by others. We all have ar ight to defend our humanity, civili liberties, our honor, and those without the strength to defend themselves.

-Get ahold of a thumb, a wrist, or an ankle and take away your opponent's leverage. Even the mightiest of men will cease aggressing when their thumb, wrist, elbow, or ankle is broken. Joints are weak points of any body, no matter how large or small.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Variation causes confusion, confusion causes chaos. Control the variation and you control the chaos. Depending on the mood I am in I can control the variation, control the confusion and in turn control the chaos. You will be ran in circles and be completely lost and confused trying to follow me.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Variation causes confusion, confusion causes chaos. Control the variation and you control the chaos. Depending on the mood I am in I can control the variation, control the confusion and in turn control the chaos. You will be ran in circles and be completely lost and confused trying to follow me.

A priceless quote this is.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-Get ahold of a thumb, a wrist, or an ankle and take away your opponent's leverage. Even the mightiest of men will cease aggressing when their thumb, wrist, elbow, or ankle is broken. Joints are weak points of any body, no matter how large or small.

Something I was told a long time ago that stuck with me as a matter of self-defense: The body goes where the head goes.

Your post reminded me of this.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Something I was told a long time ago that stuck with me as a matter of self-defense: The body goes where the head goes.

Nice! Sound counsel from the Queen of Knife Fighting! :cheese:

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Many of my recent life strategies stem from when I was laid off, and just re-hired back a few months ago. What did I learn?

You can never expect anything to be provided for you.

Doing things yourself is the best way to ensure it is done do your satisfaction.

Regardless of what everyone else around you is doing you are the only one that has a handle on your life and you have the greatest capacity change and/or improve it.

Being unhappy is never cured by being lazy, you need to work yourself out of bad situations instead of letting them stagnate. Ignoring problems has far worse long-term ramifactions then the effort needed to address them short term.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

and the muscles on the back of the forearm are alot weaker than the muscles on the belly of your forearm so its much easier to bend and twist someones hand toward the belly of the forearm to snap it. The muscle to twist there hand is weaker on the outside(the part where you can feel bone) so its also better to twist their hand in towards the person:D

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
This thread is cool.

My neighbor called the cops because I had a truck parked outside on the street (not blocking anyone, just visible) instead of in my driveway (full of other cars, i have visiting family) - he never attempted to knock on the door or ask to move it. He's done this before. The truck was just parked temporarily - it's parked outside my house maybe 5 days max a month. Long story short, the guy is a jerk.

The cop that came the first time (year or so ago) described him as "some yuppie that ran into some money and thinks he's all that" and the second cop agreed that he's "a dick."

TIP 1: Don't give the cops crap. When cop showed up, I wasn't super-kiss-ass "yes sir no sir" polite, I was just honest. "It's the truck, right?" I asked, knowingly. He said yes. I told him I'd move it. The cop went on to say that if the truck is a commercial vehicle it has to be moved - I explained that it isn't one, but repeated, I'd be moving it anyway.

Because I was honest with the cop, and told him I'd be moving it in such a way that let him know that I thought the situation was silly but I understood he had better things to do, he actually drove off without waiting for me to move the truck into my driveway. This was ideal.

I pulled in and blocked the cars in my driveway, and it was an annoyance in the morning. Later today I parked the truck back out on the street because people were moving in and out. I saw what's his face pulling out his driveway and hailed him down.

Now last night, after that day and a beer or two, I probably would have punched him just because, really, who calls the cops?

TIP 2: If you can avoid it, don't try to negotiate "hot." It'll get you in a fight. Especially with a guy like this, it'd mean assault and battery charges. Handle your head. If you can't handle your head, get out your energy. I went biking in the rain instead.

But today, I was actually rather honest, forthcoming, and polite. I explained that the truck would only be there temporarily. He goes on to say that "the first day I was kind enough to ignore it but on the second night I had to do something." I explained that calling the police isn't nesesary. I offered my phone number and suggested that he knock on the door. He ignored this offer and said that when he first moved into the neighborhood (after us, for what it's worth), he "made it clear that he didn't want that truck outside." I saw that this wasn't getting anywhere, told him again that we'd be moving the truck soon.

TIP 3: Try to resolve the conflict, but know when you're not getting anywhere. Clearly, the guy thinking he owns the block for some reason. It's a public street - really, I can park it where ever or however I want. Just attempt damage control. Also, remember, he may be in the wrong, but it's not THAT big of a deal. But if there are cars in my driveway that I'm blocking, whatever, I'm gonna park it on the street. He'll deal.

Local neighbors whom I'm friendly with saw me talking with the guy and came over to talk about how the guy is a jerk.

TIP 4: Have an outside opinion. Apparently this guy has a history of thinking he controls the cul-de-sac and in general, being obnoxious. This gives me backers, support, and camaraderie. It's good to know that I'm not the only one.

For the future: I'll probably just go about business as usual. When I was "hot" last night, I thought about parking my POS Honda with the dent in the side in front of his house every day from now on, but really, that's not worth it.

I'll probably piss on the door handle of his Lincoln and call it finished. :)

TIP 5: Do what you gotta do.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
It's getting harder and harder for me to read long threads and I have alot I wanna do today, so here's my lone addition to this thread:

[YOUTUBE="1SmBTvVfY88"]Chaos Control by The Dingees[/YOUTUBE]

une_autre

MBTI Type
ESTP
This thread is priceless!
I will make my small contribution to it, even though I didn't have really rich life experiences.

*Don't waste your time with stupid people. Find a way to get past them without interacting with them. Otherwise, you will just waste your time.

*Be polite. I only resort to being rude to people on the upper limit of moronity and to those that are outright rude to me.

*Keep your cool and patience. This will give you the upper hand in most situations.

*Speak up for yourself, as much as possible without breaking any of the above. Of course, adapting is key, so do what the situation requires.

*If you have an argument, be as less personal as possible. Don't criticize the person, criticize his/her actions. Don't use ridiculous arguments, use valid ones or common sense and think before you speak. Don't resort to insults and mostly, don't let them appear as a victim.

lamp

Variation causes confusion, confusion causes chaos. Control the variation and you control the chaos.
This is incredibly interesting.

my definition of tactics is "changing the situation until you get what you want", though, I dont have such a good grasp on tactics :]

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This thread is priceless!
I will make my small contribution to it, even though I didn't have really rich life experiences.

*Don't waste your time with stupid people. Find a way to get past them without interacting with them. Otherwise, you will just waste your time.

*Be polite. I only resort to being rude to people on the upper limit of moronity and to those that are outright rude to me.

*Keep your cool and patience. This will give you the upper hand in most situations.

*Speak up for yourself, as much as possible without breaking any of the above. Of course, adapting is key, so do what the situation requires.

*If you have an argument, be as less personal as possible. Don't criticize the person, criticize his/her actions. Don't use ridiculous arguments, use valid ones or common sense and think before you speak. Don't resort to insults and mostly, don't let them appear as a victim.

You are a genius and I love your thinking. :nice:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is incredibly interesting.

my definition of tactics is "changing the situation until you get what you want", though, I dont have such a good grasp on tactics :]

My focus isnt always on what I want or myself;)

wolfy

awsm
In arguments move the focus to interests and away from positions as much as possible. What do we want?

When in a volatile situation move back to a detached position and weigh the variables.

Do it when you get the urge or you'll fall prey to the law of diminishing intent.

When you eat junk food make sure it is the best tasting junk food. Don't mess around with so-so junk food.

When you are drunk and the room spins, put one foot on the floor and your hand on the wall and it'll stop.

Brush your fringe back before lighting a cigar

When hitchhiking it is better to go with a women, you'll get better and easier rides.

When hitchhiking it is better to go with a mate, you'll get better and easier rides.

Last edited:

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Never talk about your ex'es. Less history, more mystery, if the person you are with has ex'es it is becuase they weren't the right ones. There is a reason he/she is with you and not them.

Oh, and while a .22 cal bullet fits perfectly in an in-line fuse slot, never us a .22 in place of a fuse.