• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] In praise of ISTP's

D

Dali

As he entered his teens, he became more dangerous. I didn't dare leave him home alone for fear he would blow something up while I was gone.

Valid concern indeed; my ISTP elder brother 'borrowed' chemicals from the chemistry lab and blew a giant hole in the school field.

Most exciting thing that had happened there for years.

They're so misunderstood too; my Fi mum just can't understand him and teenage years were crazy until he went off to uni.

I just love the lovable bastards though (the ones I've known have been both). :yes:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes they are tough to understand.
Thank goodness for the MBTT books!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think ISTP's are very cool but they sometimes annoy the hell out of me because of their coldness, lack of friendliness and general disdain for theory.
ISTPs do not have a disdain for theory. They want the theory to be applicable, otherwise what is the use of having a theory if it cannot be put to functional use. Not speaking for other ISTPs, I personally have a disdain for people presenting information as facts when clearly it's a personal and subjective opinion. This could be a theory which I think may best be welcomed to me as that and not to blurt it out as a fact.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
in praise of istps

I'm married to an istp - Apparently infp/istp relationships should not work (mega t&f conflict) heh ho!

I love his practicality - he can mend anything and understands complicated machinery (he works out problms at work using mathematical equations - I still have to use my fingers!)

he has a tremendous memory for facts and is the best person to have on your side in a pub quiz

he is very easily bored and starts loads of projects he never finishes (thats when I need to get a tradesman in - just to finish off something which would take him an hour but he's ben putting off for months...years)

he expresses his love by doing things for you (he enjoys looking after his family like this) and buying you practical things (terrible at buying female things - he once bought me the same jewelry two years running - exactly the same!)

he's sports mad and throws himself in wildly - he runs marathons and is very physical and sensuous

he has a quietly sardonic and silly sense of humour which was the thing that really attracted me to him - he hates routine and rules and quietly breaks them whenever he can get away with it

he can't abide social events (other than sports or a quiet drink in a quiet pub) and hates getting dressed up

he's dreadful with money and doesnt give a bugger about it

when he's upset he takes off on his own and refuses to talk - he becomes really grumpy, sarcastic and cutting - I never try to chase him in to his cave now - just wait for him to come out - when he will usualy apologise.

as a Dad he's patient and funny and laid back -not so good at doling out discipline - and he takes them everywhere, makes them things and gives them all his money!

he really can't cope with displays of emotion - it's as if he finds it physically painful and has to get away - if friends or family are upset thats my job to deal with - he will then take them wherever they want to go and offer to fix their plumbing!

the only other istp i know is our computer advisor at work - he too has a very silly sense of humour (you only find this out when you get to know him - to alot of pople he sems a typical uncommunicative computer geek) and spends his spare time rock climbing and mending friends computers it seems

yes istps are very cool folk!

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
This thread is so awesome. I almost got choked up, but I didn't. No real reason to. Thanks for the compliments though.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yup

<3 for shizzles :wubbie:

Winz

MBTI Type
ISTP
Why is Whatever pretending to be ISTP? or are you one of those people who don't believe in putting the right type in your profile? :huh:

I'm just gonna throw it out there that Wolverine is probably an ISTP. Enough said.
He's not an INTJ at all. Don't even think of suggesting it. I know you want to. But you would be so wrong.

You're probably right.. I don't see the INTJ. At all. You know who else is probably ISTP? Ironman and Dr.House :coffee: <3

NO IRONMAN IS NOT ENTP, GO HOME. <3

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
Haha...I had the most interesting debate with my INFJ friend about intentions the other night. My point of view was that intentions should be all that matter, if they know I don't mean harm by something, people shouldn't be offended. I consider intention and actions far more heavily than words...if I think someone is purposely being mean, I'll get annoyed at them even if they're saying something innocuous...and I usually won't be fazed by the most hurtful thing said in jest/without malice. I respond to the tone more than to the words (although I think this applies more with close friends who I can read, rather than acquaintances).

His counterpoint was in essence that I need to consider how other people are thinking, and that most people are offended by illogical things, and I just have to deal with that. It's more accurate to try to predict/consider how the other person might react than to 'put myself in their shoes' because most people just don't think like me, apparently. I'm supposed to flex around other people instead of getting mad at them for not flexing around me. Ie try to be sensitive instead of calling everyone else oversensitive. Which makes sense, I guess, to a degree.

This was after me offending another friend by saying something I considered to be an objective, neutral statement, not even thinking about the possibility of it offending, while she considered it an attack/rejection of her carefully-laid plans. I still don't really get it....:mellow:

(/tangent)

I'm bumping this thread to respond to something someone wrote over a year ago, but I just couldn't help myself. My boyfriend and I have this discussion alllll the time. In the beginning of our relationship is was problematic because he would constantly unknowingly hurt my feelings and then be completely baffled that I was upset because he didn't MEAN to hurt me. Fortunately we understand one another MUCH better now - but I still find myself regularly explaining to him why other people think he's an asshole. His response is always "But I'm NOT an asshole!" to which I say, "I know that, and you know that, but that other guy doesn't so go apologize."

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even though I am ISTP this is about my dad who is also ISTP. Once you have a good relationship with an ISTP you can always count on them to give you a hand. No complaining, no whining. They are always there when you need them and will put the other persons needs above there own. Both being ISTP we dont really talk that much small talk and can go a week without talking and not think anything about it or question if the other person is mad at me, but when I call he will do anything to help me out even if it means he has to get up 3 or 4 hours early and go in to work at 3 in the morning so he can get off in time to help me, and not complain once. They dont ever make you feel like you are burdening them, even if you need them because you screwed up.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
when I call he will do anything to help me out even if it means he has to get up 3 or 4 hours early and go in to work at 3 in the morning so he can get off in time to help me, and not complain once. They dont ever make you feel like you are burdening them, even if you need them because you screwed up.

:wubbie: this is exactly what my husband does for my kids - and somethimes he's knackered and he still does it - i'm really glad you value him

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
They dont ever make you feel like you are burdening them, even if you need them because you screwed up.

This reminds me of something I talked about way back... an INTJ and myself were talking about Ayn Rand and objectivism, and I said that INTJs were not so good at living up to that mentality. They still had a sort of entitlement thing going on a lot of the time - less than most types, often unhealthily low... but I said that it seemed like (not in type terms, but...) ISTPs were among the most who, when they do something, just do it because they do it.

Not to say that sometimes doing something and not being noticed doesn't irritate me, but it's so far down the list that I had to be doing it to be noticed in the first place for it to annoy me.

uhh... This just reminded me of that. Either way, this dynamic happens a lot between my wife and I, where sometimes I don't appear grateful enough for her gratefullness for something I did for her :shock:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
...ISTPs were among the most who, when they do something, just do it because they do it.

Not to say that sometimes doing something and not being noticed doesn't irritate me, but it's so far down the list that I had to be doing it to be noticed in the first place for it to annoy me.

I'm almost always like that! I usually do things to do them, rarely ask for anything in return (and if I do, it's probably months later and usually something small).

deleted
Socionics ENTP-ISTP relation:

They usually have no problems in understanding each other or each other's objectives, at least when these objectives are only on paper. When it comes to fulfilling joint plans, partners often fail to co-operate. The ENTP hardly listens to the ISTP, concentrating more on the sound of their own voice. However, the ISTP does not get upset about this and they often seem to find a way to adapt to it. They usually have many topics for conversation and these conversations do not seem to be boring.

Especially those of a different in gender can show interest in each other, which is multiplied if in addition they find each other attractive. However, when they feel like they are half way to complete understanding, one of them usually does something, not deliberately of course, that ruins all established harmony putting the partners right back to where they started.

They cannot stay upset with each other for a long time. After they have calmed down, they attempt to get closer to each other again which unfortunately leads to another stumble. For the observer, these relations may seem really passionate and loving. ENTP-ISTP relation can be compared with the moth and the flame.

If not taken seriously, these relations can produce a little periodical shaking, keeping the partners "awake". They are also full of contrasts: from being happy to see partner again to sudden disappointment and bewilderment.

...pretty vague if you ask me

says nothing about drinking buddies.

deleted
I also agree with all the good things about ISTPs, how they're underrated and kept secret. My ISTP is insanely good at theory, but likes practical use of it, even if its in designing systems for people.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I also agree with all the good things about ISTPs, how they're underrated and kept secret. My ISTP is insanely good at theory, but likes practical use of it, even if its in designing systems for people.

shit after reading this thread you guys make me feel like a million bucks... :wubbie:

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
One really cool trick is where you put Drano in a small Gatorade type bottle (the stiffer the plastic, the bigger the boom) and well you... oops :blush: You can see he's rubbed off on me.
[/LIST]
You ever put Aluminum Foil in a container of toilet bowl cleaner? I tried that once, and all the fumes would make the bottle expand, and expand, and then BOOM!

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
You're probably right.. I don't see the INTJ. At all. You know who else is probably ISTP? Ironman and Dr.House :coffee: <3

NO IRONMAN IS NOT ENTP, GO HOME. <3

Agreed, agreed, and... perhaps.

Wolverine-- definitely.
Robert D. J.'s interpretation of Iron Man-- yes.
House... he does have an N/J-ish quality to him sometimes, but the way he has to get to his answers through listening to other people bounce things around is the same way I do it. I tend to be a very auditory learner and for some reason hearing people speak about something helps to tumble out all the disparate information rattling around in my brain. And then there's his bike--my INTJ best friend wouldn't really care about a motorcycle at all. Just not something that would register. I, on the other hand, would love to have one (my husband thinks I'd kill myself. ;) )
So yeah, maybe House.

jnel302

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
We're interesting, you've gotta give us that.

In 4th grade we had show and tell; my grandpa had just killed a deer, so I asked to watch the dis-assembly. I thought it was so cool that I asked to take the skull/brain and a de-skinned leg showing the motion of the leg muscles & tendons. Again, I thought it was awesome. My teacher, however, asked that I not bring that again.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
We're interesting, you've gotta give us that.

In 4th grade we had show and tell; my grandpa had just killed a deer, so I asked to watch the dis-assembly. I thought it was so cool that I asked to take the skull/brain and a de-skinned leg showing the motion of the leg muscles & tendons. Again, I thought it was awesome. My teacher, however, asked that I not bring that again.

hahahaha