• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] In praise of ISTP's

Valeria

MBTI Type
INTP
My roomie/partner in crime/best friend is an ISTP and I adore her :wubbie:

Despite the fact that she decided my love life/happyness or rather the lack of it is one of her projcts :huh:

From my INTP-perspective, I love that I can relax around her because she won´t take offence where none was intended, she is as blunt as I am. :D
Our interaction is pretty rough and sometimes brutally honest, it´s shocks a lot of people. But for us it´s a sign of trust and acceptance.

She loyal and I know I can count on her

She has a quirky sense of humor, we can laught about the most absurd things like clogged up drains in space. ;)

Makaub

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am in love with an ISTP.

Head over heels.

You guys rock.

hungrypossum

MBTI Type
ESFP
The first time my ISTP friend met me, she said she thought to herself "Blue nails. This retard". (Despite the fact it was painted on by someone else)

The first time I saw her, I thought "She doesnt look like she gives a shit about anything. Loser."

We were in the same project group, and the ISTP always looked bored. We were under a draconian (and very stupid,) ESTJ. I am not saying all ESTJs are stupid. I'm saying that one, whoa. She made decisions like "if we print out our school logo on the front cover and use better paper, we can get a High Distinction! Now you! Go to the bookshop and buy the paper!"

(And we were in uni for god's sake!)

You know what, we bonded over that. The ISTP actually told me: Look, you're the only non-retard in the group. We gotta work together and get outta here!

Those were the days! We skipped classes together (the stupid ones), copied and pasted work from wikipedia to hand in (we got A for our individual work and the ESTJ got C!)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The inferior feeling does strange, unforgettable things.

---

ISTP: Did you enjoy going fishing?
OTHER: Yes, I did.
ISTP: Then you can come along fishing every day for the rest of our lives.
OTHER: Well, I didn't mean --
ISTP: I thought you said you liked fishing. (nurses grudge for remainder of relationship)

---

OTHER: I like the red one.
ISTP: I think you should shut up.
OTHER: But you asked me what I thought.
ISTP: Dude, pick whichever you want. I love you, man! (gives bear hug)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ISTP brother in law was always dragging me into his car projects. I miss being dragged into car projects. :(

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
Okay ISTP's, I started it - it was a good start, you gotta admit. But I'm not responsible for what follows... haha...

Mind you, the INFP I was thinking about in the other thread finds the ISTP I mention in this thread quite scary. They get on really well, as long as I'm there, but I can't see them meeting each other independently... haha...

No! No! No! This is supposed to be a GOOD thread about ISTP's, dammit!!!

Hah, that's ok. I've been told by numerous friends and roommates that they initially found me scary/intimidating. Then they got to know me and I lost all intimidation power--even with the ISFJs. ;) I seriously don't know what it is with us and the intimidation thing. It's just bizarre. One of my friends in high school used to randomly ask me, "Are you ok...? You look like you want to kill someone." I'd be totally surprised--usually I'd just been staring into space.

(so I can see why some women might not like them too much...!)

Uh, yeah. I'm an ISTP woman and other women don't even like me! Apparently I come across as harsh and callous or something. >:)

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I am in love with an ISTP.

Head over heels.

You guys rock.

Yay! I have to say, ENTJ/INTJs are simply awesome. My best friend is an INTJ, and my fiance is an ESTJ in whom I bring out N-ish tendencies. :D

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Uh, yeah. I'm an ISTP woman and other women don't even like me! Apparently I come across as harsh and callous or something. >:)

Maybe so but I've had the same experience and don't think I do. I just don't fit the usual female "mold" they think I should fit in and they're scared of me as most are of the "unknown" they can't pigeon hole. Some men react the same way... the one's who expect what they see as the stereotypical female. But, those are rarer than females these days.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I need to meet people like you here! What kind of place should I frequent to do so???

YES! Where are you all hiding?

(I went to an Ivy League college, one of most anti-ISTP places you can find. My practical talents and bluntness were not appreciated by anyone outside the theatre club)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

I guess that's how I come off too. At least, I get the feeling that most women don't like me.
I'm alright around guys, but then they act differently because I'm female, like I can't handle their humor or I'll be easily offended... I haven't bothered to figure it out. I usually come out and say "you probably won't hurt my feelings, say what you wanted to say."

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I almost certain my new boss is an ISTP. If so then ISTP women rock! If she were about 15 years younger ... giggity :devil:

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I almost certain my new boss is an ISTP. If so then ISTP women rock! If she were about 15 years younger ... giggity :devil:

Yes--as a supervisor somehow I always got along pretty well with my guy minions (even some of the NF-ish types). The girls... it was pretty much hit & miss. But the guys rocked and we had awesome fun.

SahlainAnteth

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wanna know more about how to blow things up! and I wanna know more ISTPs to teach me how to do it! :hi: Personally I've just messed about with fireworks, but now I see I was meant for greater things! (I've heard horror stories from friends, though. I wouldn't wanna break 200 windows by not being careful)

This is a valid concern. I... uhh... was good at that.

(The hatchet, however, not so much. Me, I was into whips... indiana jones lenth, swinging whips. That was good times. Painful to learn though.)

Also, if he asks for saltpeter, don't give it to him.

Whoo hoo! I've always identified with Indy--and also with Batman. :) Cool semi-antisocial people with awesome weapon--er, toys. ;)

My first big toy was a horse. :party2: I then took up archery, was a founding member of my university's fencing club, and later progressed to the position of fight coach/coordinator/choreographer for the theater troupe. Fire is also fun.

My younger brother, whom I suspect to be a fellow ISTP, is into snowboarding, mountain biking, and has a really snazzy motorcycle of which I'm quite envious.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I like ISTPs a lot. Despite their reputations as the most introverted of all introverts- they are pretty good socially, make great conversion and have perfect social propriety. They tend to dress really well, make good analysis on abstract subjects and only need to be taken to a place once, before they remember how to get there again.

Their weakness is that due to their inability to articulate their feelings and wants, that they often become codependent on people who make decisions for them, especially overbearing people who are overly emotional and hysterical. Therefore, they are chronically dissatisfied because they feel trapped in situations in which they feel they have no control over- yet they rather be in that situation than be alone.

For an ISTP to be happy- they need to be around others who give them independence- and let them make their own decisions and bring out the best in them.

Overall they are very cool people, can make conversation with anyone they meet, tidy, well- dressed, ethical and filled with a sense of duty. They make really great co-workers and friends because you know you can depend on them to be consistent.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Yes--as a supervisor somehow I always got along pretty well with my guy minions (even some of the NF-ish types). The girls... it was pretty much hit & miss. But the guys rocked and we had awesome fun.

Aren't you a bit young to have held a supervisory position? Nevertheless, more power to you. :cheers:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm, I've never quite figured out how to tell if someone is an ISTP.

I wonder if I'm an ISTP. A lot of the profile matches, but so does the INTP profile.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
The few rationals I know find cars boring, hate going out on my boat when the water is rough :devil: and generally find material/tangible things boring.

Conversely ISTPs, although often very intelligent (yep that was an attempt to stroke my ego) will likely fall asleep when you start to discuss theoretical subjects.

See, I love science and math but only when it is relevant to something I am doing. On the other hand my father just loves stuff for its own sake.