• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Is the only way to make an ISFP talk 'is' to strangle them?

NeverAmI

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well I'm not sure if this is just a ME problem, or if it pertains to other ISFPs. I'm alot better at expressing myself through works. Like art, music, writting and dance. Speaking on the other hand...not so good. I guess it doesn't help that whenever I talk at home, everybody ignores me. So I think I've just stopped communicating verbally to people because nobody really listens. And thats a fact, not something I've made up. Like, yesterday I only said one sentence the whole day. "I'd like a steak please." Other than I just don't speak too often.

Metaphors do help at times, but for some bizarre reason the people I know aren't into abstract thinking in that way. Its very, just tell me the facts and leave me be. So you can imagine someone like myself isn't too understood at home in that way.

I can relate completely to this. I have always had a VERY hard time relaying my thoughts in speech. I didn't even use words until I was 4 years old.

My problem is more about social anxiety I think. I would refer to my inability to speak in busy social situations and with people I am not 100% comfortable with as sensory overload. I would just go bonkers processing so much stuff at once. If I was in a crowd I was wondering about every person, if I heard someone laugh I wondered if it was about me. I was constantly wondering how someone would interpret every word that comes out of my mouth, most times I say soemthing completely stupid and put my foot in my mouth anyway, so... Why bother?

Even when I do manage to get my words out, most people give me that look like they have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I very much relate to the ISFP's description of marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Many times my ideas/thoughts/feelings are so fluid, so dynamic, and so intangible that they simply transcend words. By the time I write or speak the words, they no longer apply in certain cases.

Now this sort of thought process in my head shouldn't be confused with a lack of identity. I have strong morals that I live by, things that feel right to me. These ideals and core values are static.

As for reciting certain situations that happened during the day, I am lucky if I even remember them, lol.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I don't think strangulation would be very effective since it cuts off the air supply (which is required for speech). However, I do think it would be an excellent method in getting an ExFx to shut up.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I can relate completely to this. I have always had a VERY hard time relaying my thoughts in speech. I didn't even use words until I was 4 years old.

My problem is more about social anxiety I think. I would refer to my inability to speak in busy social situations and with people I am not 100% comfortable with as sensory overload. I would just go bonkers processing so much stuff at once. If I was in a crowd I was wondering about every person, if I heard someone laugh I wondered if it was about me. I was constantly wondering how someone would interpret every word that comes out of my mouth, most times I say soemthing completely stupid and put my foot in my mouth anyway, so... Why bother?

Even when I do manage to get my words out, most people give me that look like they have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I very much relate to the ISFP's description of marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Many times my ideas/thoughts/feelings are so fluid, so dynamic, and so intangible that they simply transcend words. By the time I write or speak the words, they no longer apply in certain cases.

Now this sort of thought process in my head shouldn't be confused with a lack of identity. I have strong morals that I live by, things that feel right to me. These ideals and core values are static.

As for reciting certain situations that happened during the day, I am lucky if I even remember them, lol.

I relate to that, if I were to use mbti language I'd say it's down to too much tertiary Ni, too many "what ifs" rather than "what is".

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I relate to that, if I were to use mbti language I'd say it's down to too much tertiary Ni, too many "what ifs" rather than "what is".

Yup, that would apply to myself as well. It's a big pain in the butt!

Whats even more classic is when I finally muster up something to say and people start talking over me. That doesn't help at all really. Makes me think that no one would possibly care to listen to what I say either way.

NeverAmI

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Whats even more classic is when I finally muster up something to say and people start talking over me. That doesn't help at all really. Makes me think that no one would possibly care to listen to what I say either way.

I had this happen yesterday for the first time in quite a while. It is indeed frustrating to be quiet and curteous for so long then have someone rude come trample all over you the first time you try to speak. Mind you this was after repeated attempts to share my voice and just constantly getting interrupted.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
Here's a good analogy - you're from mexico and you speak spanish. you go to the US where everybody speaks English. Ok, so you know a few English words (very few), but not really enough to carry on a conversation. You'd stay pretty quiet too, would you not?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
In summary, all ISFPs are mexicans.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I had this happen yesterday for the first time in quite a while. It is indeed frustrating to be quiet and curteous for so long then have someone rude come trample all over you the first time you try to speak. Mind you this was after repeated attempts to share my voice and just constantly getting interrupted.

Gah, yes! I try to somehow thrust myself into a conversation and it usually doesn't work. :doh: Most of the stuff the others are saying is none sense to me anyway.

In summary, all ISFPs are mexicans.

I'm hispanic, so thats close :D

wolfy

awsm
I live in Japan, I am a New Zealander. I feel strangely comfortable in a semi detached limbo.

R

Riva

Excellent.

I know this is true since my INTJ friend keeps on asking what if questions in his head and verbalize everyone of them when we are spending time together.

And man...
He has so many 'what if' questions.

---------------------------------

But the issue here is the point you made although is correct contradicts itself since INTJs don't have the issue of expressing themselves. In fact they are quite good at it. And they have Ni as their dominant function.

Is it because ISFPs have their Ni as their tertiary which is bothering their speech so much?

Se sees so much (too much) and Ni needs as ask 'What if' to everything they see?

-----------------------------------

If your answer is yes I have another question.

How is it that ISTPs don't have the same issue?

They express themselves quite well. Though they display a bit of frustration when their lines are not understood 100%.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it because ISFPs have their Ni as their tertiary which is bothering their speech so much?

Se sees so much (too much) and Ni needs as ask 'What if' to everything they see?

Personally, I have pancakes as my tertiary, so my only "what if" questions are which syrup I should use.

NeverAmI

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If your answer is yes I have another question.

How is it that ISTPs don't have the same issue?

They express themselves quite well. Though they display a bit of frustration when their lines are not understood 100%.

As far as I can tell:

ISFPs have Te in their inferior, and when I make vids that shows. My Te isn't the best, but it's what I have. Se doesn't exactly express itself well besides through actions and creations. Fi, Se, and Ni all kinda suck at verbal expression, Te is the next in line, and while it doesn't exactly do justice to what is in my head, it's what I have.

ISTP's have Fe in their inferior which is actually quite good at making connections with others, although I wouldn't say that maintaining those connections is their strongest trait.

Someone had metioned that P types can often seem the opposite because their primary F or T is introverted. At first glance, you notice an FP's extroverted thinking, you see a TP's extroverted feeling. You don't immediately observe their introverted Feeling/Thinking.

Does that make sense?

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Personally, I have pancakes as my tertiary, so my only "what if" questions are which syrup I should use.

You make me laugh :D

I'm going to go ahead and claim bacon as my tertiary. And there's not "what if" about it. I like crispy bacon, plain and simple.

Supah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You make me laugh :D

I'm going to go ahead and claim bacon as my tertiary. And there's not "what if" about it. I like crispy bacon, plain and simple.

I'm digging food as tertiary. This ENTP claims chocolate cheesecake (since crispy bacon is gone - wise choice).

Inferior? Has to be cooked spinach - I hate it so much I'll gag no matter who is around.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
I'm digging food as tertiary. This ENTP claims chocolate cheesecake (since crispy bacon is gone - wise choice).

Inferior? Has to be cooked spinach - I hate it so much I'll gag no matter who is around.

Eat your vegetables! :nono:

gdhc08

MBTI Type
ISFP
If the other person is a good conversationalist, then I'm an open book. I have major problems approaching others and starting a conversation--even if I know you casually..like a coworker or classmate. Ugh, just the other day I got called on in class and I just froze and said NOTHING.

I have no problem opening up to others once I'm asked...it's weird. And based on the first post, I'd say be more patient and if you're saying your words in an angry tone, it's only making the whole thing worse.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strange, I only have trouble when needing to get an ISFP to shut up, but that's on the rare occation when my youngest brother is in lecture mode. Past that, my uncle, and a number of ex girlfriends never had a problem talking.