• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP hunt

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
it's become strikingly clear to me that I'm not going to find many ISTP females in my classes.

ISTP seems like it might be one of the easier types to track down.

Should I try gyms and things like that?

Bicycle shops?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
it's become strikingly clear to me that I'm not going to find many ISTP females in my classes.

ISTP seems like it might be one of the easier types to track down.

Should I try gyms and things like that?

Bicycle shops?

I say one of the harder types but you're sounding like a creepy ISTP stalker to me.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
What's an ENTJ want with ISTPs anyway?

I'm a programmer by day, professional lazy ass by night... I've gotten into biking a bit recently. Being in the bike shop hurts the wallet, so look on the trail instead.

I don't go out most weekends, kinda stick to the same group(s) of friends...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
The best way to get to know me is to either be a co-worker or to get in with my group of friends. That's how I meet most people. Although there are a few other random people in my life who just happened to be extraordinarily charming.

But like the others who have posted in this thread, I would question your motives. I am not a specimen.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best way to get to know me is to either be a co-worker or to get in with my group of friends. That's how I meet most people. Although there are a few other random people in my life who just happened to be extraordinarily charming.

But like the others who have posted in this thread, I would question your motives. I am not a specimen.
+1

I'm a programmer by day, professional lazy ass by night...
:laugh: Did I tell you I got a job as a programmer just a few weeks ago?! Crazy! We're too much alike. On that note, considering there are at least 2 female ISTP stats majors turned programmers on this forum alone... start looking in IT departments or in math classes.

Outside of that, it's pretty much what Rhinosaur said. I meet people through work or through friends. I'm trying to be more active, too, now that I'm no longer a student who was either a) feeling guilty about not doing school work or b)doing school work at the last minute. I've been thinking about getting into tri stuff. ... Honestly, it really is hard to just find us and strike up a conversation. I'd be polite and smile, but if you looked down at my feet, I'd most likely be inching away. I'm more talkative when in a social scene because I'm expecting it and/or I'm unable to escape, like in an airplane.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTP's are predominately male. A female ISTP is a rare find...

jixmixfix

Permabanned
+1

:laugh: Did I tell you I got a job as a programmer just a few weeks ago?! Crazy! We're too much alike. On that note, considering there are at least 2 female ISTP stats majors turned programmers on this forum alone... start looking in IT departments or in math classes.

Outside of that, it's pretty much what Rhinosaur said. I meet people through work or through friends. I'm trying to be more active, too, now that I'm no longer a student who was either a) feeling guilty about not doing school work or b)doing school work at the last minute. I've been thinking about getting into tri stuff. ... Honestly, it really is hard to just find us and strike up a conversation. I'd be polite and smile, but if you looked down at my feet, I'd most likely be inching away. I'm more talkative when in a social scene because I'm expecting it and/or I'm unable to escape, like in an airplane.

you guys should make out!! lol jks jks...

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
ISTP's are predominately male. A female ISTP is a rare find...

Tru dat. There are a couple of us on the forum, but I haven't met too many in person. I met one who was a sociologist once. I think I tend to shy away from ISTPs, honestly. One of my "friends" tested as ISTP about 1/2 the time and we ain't friends no mo'. He's since gotten into recreational drugs, has a horrible on-again-off-again girlfriend, the most delusional personal goals I've heard of in a long time...

you guys should make out!! lol jks jks...

lol. What is it with you guys and chicks making out, huh?

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tru dat. There are a couple of us on the forum, but I haven't met too many in person. I met one who was a sociologist once. I think I tend to shy away from ISTPs, honestly. One of my "friends" tested as ISTP about 1/2 the time and we ain't friends no mo'. He's since gotten into recreational drugs, has a horrible on-again-off-again girlfriend, the most delusional personal goals I've heard of in a long time...

lol. What is it with you guys and chicks making out, huh?

I'd guess that your ISTP friend is a young adult...that catepillar to butterfly
wings transition is something we all go through to an extent.

ISTP's at least myself and my best friend eventually transition to something
more down to earth, stable, solid and reliable...unrealistic goals? lol

That settles out too and a more realistic path eventually emerges.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd guess that your ISTP friend is a young adult...that catepillar to butterfly
wings transition is something we all go through to an extent.

ISTP's at least myself and my best friend eventually transition to something
more down to earth, stable, solid and reliable...unrealistic goals? lol

That settles out too and a more realistic path eventually emerges.

Yeah, he's about my age...24. Hopefully he'll snap out of his lifestyle at some point. And if not...well, we aren't really friends right now. I don't know what it is, but as soon as someone seems like a lost cause I kinda give up. I tried being friends with him and the group we used to hang out with (that I'm pretty sure he still hangs out with). But they were all pot smokers and never wanted to do anything besides smoke and play video games. I tried for a long time to get them to do stuff...and for a long time their response was "mmm, nah, we just smoked, we're gonna play xbox..." I'd even try to get them to do stuff they might do anyway. When I'd go to their apartment it was boringsville with them playing video games while high. :unsure: They didn't try at all to make me want to be around, so in return I stopped trying. If you don't want me around, I'm certainly not going to force myself upon you.

After that I finally made friends with an awesomely awesome ESTP and my INFP friend also moved back to where I lived at the time.

And...uh...that has nothing to do with the OP. Oh well :)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, he's about my age...24. Hopefully he'll snap out of his lifestyle at some point. And if not...well, we aren't really friends right now. I don't know what it is, but as soon as someone seems like a lost cause I kinda give up. I tried being friends with him and the group we used to hang out with (that I'm pretty sure he still hangs out with). But they were all pot smokers and never wanted to do anything besides smoke and play video games. I tried for a long time to get them to do stuff...and for a long time their response was "mmm, nah, we just smoked, we're gonna play xbox..." I'd even try to get them to do stuff they might do anyway. When I'd go to their apartment it was boringsville with them playing video games while high. :unsure: They didn't try at all to make me want to be around, so in return I stopped trying. If you don't want me around, I'm certainly not going to force myself upon you.

After that I finally made friends with an awesomely awesome ESTP and my INFP friend also moved back to where I lived at the time.

And...uh...that has nothing to do with the OP. Oh well :)

Trying to get people to do stuff, then moving on when...well you know. Is
a key indication for myself that I finally correctly identified. My sister would
say of me, "When sLiPpY's done with someone or something...it's over...he's
done." ;)

I'd been at the same space as you describe of your friend, eons ago...back
in 1992 at University of South Florida. Same scenario.

That's all those people wanted to do, and slowly I got back to my instincts.
I started doing physical activity on my own, like going running late at night,
or hitting up the complex gym. Finally, just got tired of it all...knew I had to
do something good for myself and got out. Couldn't/wouldn't go back.

Years later I met my ISTP best friend. We didn't initially recognize how carbon copy, and both cycled through many friendships/groups of people,
each time when it was over it was over. The stronger desire for variety,
physical activity, etc. automatically won out over following the herd.

Over the years, we'd had some big fights...can't remember what they were
about. But always picked up, again...went out and did our activities, lifting,
golf, soccer, chess, billiards, gaming, playing guitar, listening to music,
going to see bands, motorcross, basketball, tag football, water skiing,
boating, fixing things, moving things, sporting events, hiking, water rafting having wives and girlfriends along when they were willing.

Wasn't until this moment I understood, the reason we kept returning to
a state of good friendship. Who else on the planet could we individually
find who'd want to do all that? :doh:

What's really funny about it, is you can't tell an ISTP nothing....they have
to figure it out for themselves. Gosh knows I had friends who tried, I
couldn't see it in those moments, and I didn't realize it in the moments
I experienced an overwhelming feeling I needed a change!

Wasn't until later I saw it...