• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs and birthdays

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
No, birthdays aren't a big deal to me. I have four kids though, why would mine even matter anymore?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Ooo yes. My ISTP friend has a thing about being invited to stuff and takes it REALLY personally if she is not invited. Also takes it personally if *I* am not invited to stuff (protective in this way). Seems to be highly offensive... like moreso than to me even. And, I like being invited. Ha.

I use to get offended when I was a kid when my friends didn't call me when they hung out but I'm over that now.

Twixt

MBTI Type
ISTP
My dad takes the concept of the birthday being a personal holiday quite seriously. He makes sure his schedule is clear from the day before till the day after and disappears from society for those three days.

:rofl1:

:nice:

LEGERdeMAIN

Last year I didn't realize it was my birthday until a relative called me.
I do kind of hope that I die on my birthday.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Last year I didn't realize it was my birthday until a relative called me.

i have forgotten some of my birthdays too. one of my birthdays fell in the middle of a cross-country hike, and i didn't realize it for weeks.

I do kind of hope that I die on my birthday.

how about dying the day before your birthday? then people are especially sad; "he almost made it to his birthday! awww..."
i think it's kind of silly, but whatever, more tears at the funeral right? ;)
haha.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My ISTP forgets about his birthday, and finds all holidays do be inherently stupid/frivolous.

He kind of remembers my birthday, and kind of remembers my cycle, almost obsessively so. :huh:

But, yeah, the only gift he ever wants is to have me.

Sounds corny and overly simplistic, but it's true.

I have found ways to con him into celebrating Valentine's day with me.

I'll either tell him we should go celebrate it because it is ludicrous and we're the last couple you'd think would ever celebrate it, or I kinda get us out of the house by evening time and he ends up suggesting that we eat out.

But there are no Valentine's gifts or birthday gifts.

He does *do* a lot of stuff for me.

Sorry, I just realized this post was a rant. :/

KaptainAlly

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think I can be a secret sentimentalist. I do stash all my old birthday cards/letters. When I feel ronery I read them sometimes :)

For my 18th birthday I threw my first BIG party. I loved the attention at first, but as more people (less aquainted then my best friends) showed up I got all antsy and freaked out. So I ended up drinking A LOT to cope with my nervousness and I didn't remember the night! :/

LEGERdeMAIN

how about dying the day before your birthday? then people are especially sad; "he almost made it to his birthday! awww..."
i think it's kind of silly, but whatever, more tears at the funeral right? ;)
haha.

That would be hilarious. I want my funeral to be a comedy show and then a magic show...............*puff of smoke*, oooooooooOoooooOoo. omg, where'd the body go????

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I hated birthday parties when I was a kid, and forced my parents to stop having them for me at age 5.

I like my birthday though. I consider it a personal holiday, and have spent every birthday for the last few years in the same way: Skiing. I have mixed feelings on gifts, the free stuff aspect is nice, but I really don't like the attention and making other people buy stuff for me.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I hated birthday parties when I was a kid, and forced my parents to stop having them for me at age 5.

I like my birthday though. I consider it a personal holiday, and have spent every birthday for the last few years in the same way: Skiing. I have mixed feelings on gifts, the free stuff aspect is nice, but I really don't like the attention and making other people buy stuff for me.
Hahahaa, this sounds so familiar!

My ISTP got me skis and taught me how to ski and moved to Colorado so he could ski almost year round. :)

Doppleganger

MBTI Type
IxtP
Enneagram
5w4
I almost forgot my 21st this year. I still didn't do shit when I remembered.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the ISTPs i know seem to just want others to simply remember their birthday- to wish them a happy birthday, and that's it. that means enough to them.

they definitely don't seem the type to expect a huge party. small gatherings with close friends, if sincere and simple, are ok. though i think they tend to shy away from birthday festivities in general, maybe because they prefer to be seen as no-frills people that aren't made to fuss over. big publicised parties can be awkward for them, especially if they feel on the spot. they want on the down low type stuff.

i like ISTPs.

i do suspect they secretly want more attention than they'll readily seek most times, though. -sometimes you just have to give it anyway, knowing that they'll never quite own up to loving it :cheese:

(i know an older ISTP man that pretends not to care about this sort of thing, but i know for a fact he keeps the birthday cards we give him!)

ISTPs - secret sentimentalists?
(you guys will probably hate me for this post)

I actually think you're right on. At least for me. bold print especially. It's touching enough that anyone even says "happy birthday" I'm touched by that alone. Let alone get a gift. I'm floored when that happens.

Trepidation

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Hooray! Another anniversary of the day I was forcibly expelled from my mother's womb. For me, my birthday is exactly like any other day except that I might receive some money, or use it as an excuse to do something with my friends. Presents are awkward (if I just get money, I can actually buy something that I want). I'd rather people just let me know that they remembered.

LEGERdeMAIN

I get birthday cards sometimes, but I don't keep them. I don't keep most gifts either. Unless it's something special, like, one year someone gave me a small print of "The Old Guitarist" to put in my tiny apartment. It was cheap, but it wasn't your average, happy birthday, hope you have a great day, blah blah, signed: blah blah.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
one year someone gave me a small print of "The Old Guitarist" to put in my tiny apartment.

that's a great painting, and i don't even like Picasso.

lgap599old-guitarist-1903-4-pablo-picasso-poster.jpg

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
He's a civil enginerd, there are many enginerds in the Boulder area.

What do you do?

EDIT: He's currently working in Kigali, though.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
He's a civil enginerd, there are many enginerds in the Boulder area.

What do you do?

EDIT: He's currently working in Kigali, though.

I'm a Java programmer...web app stuff. I hear CO has a huge IT industry. After so much job application rejection, I get unmotivated to look seeing as I have a job. Plus, I'm warming up to friggin' Arkansas, I've got some good friends here now. But given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure I'd pick CO over AR.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, Colorado seems like an ISTP's haven.

So much ecological diversity to play with.

:)

LEGERdeMAIN

Colorado is great. Highly recommend Vail and Beaver Creek to anyone who likes to ski and eat good food simultaneously.